Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Pie Shine

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Apple Pie Shine

Anyone here try making Apple Pie Moonshine?

If so, what'd you think of it? Just ends up sort of a Liqueur?
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Add peaches. Gives it a bit of a sweet flavor

I've done cherry pie shine, never heard of apple pie shine. Cherry pie shine turns out like an XXXtra hard cider, it'll sneak up on ya and kick ya!

Banned

never made it but I have drank it.
    it's still moonshine but tastes like apple, not like apple juice for sure, but it has the taste of apples.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    I had some a friend picked up in Mo. It was very good, apple and cinnamon with a big BITE! Gp

Vendor Sponsor

Soon we will be getting those big black sweet cherries from Peru and Chile, they come in December. Take half a quart jar of these, top it off with 'shine, set it in a dark cupboard a couple of months, it will be so blood red you can't see through it, it will be near black! Set it in the fridge and you are good to go! Goes down smooth and easy, tastes like little kids cough medicine, warms you from the inside out.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

A friend that comes up to duck hunt brings some when he comes. The apple taste takes away some of the harshness from the shine and YES, it will sneak up on you!

Boolit Master
    I make it and enjoy it. Put apple cider and apple juice in a sauce pan and heat, add cinnamon and let cool. Than add the shine and some vanilla flavored vodka. You are looking for a final proof of about 80.
    jim

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by koehn,jim View Post
    You are looking for a final proof of about 80.
    That's not shine. The stuff I am used to is close to 180 proof. Franklin County VA. That's shine! You can eat 4 of the cherries out of the jar and you have just drank a 6 pack.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Most anyone looking for apple pie wants a low proof sipping drink, a jar of 180 triple run will probably send them to the ER.
    Try using 1 1/2 quarts apple juice and 1 1/2 quarts apple cider ,heat to a boil add 1 cup brown sugar and dissolve. Stir in 1 tsp pie spice, seems like suped up nutmeg. Remove from heat, way away from heat, and pour in 1 quart of 180 proof or everclear jar up in quarts with 1 cinnamon stick per jar refrigerate and enjoy. The longer it sits the stronger the cinnamon favor gets.
    AR15 goes bang, AK47 goes bang, Mosin goes boom...

Boolit Master
    No offense, but anything that gets it's alcohol content out of a store bought bottle cannot be "shine" by any definition of the word. I'm wondering what planet I've landed on at this point.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    No offense, but anything that gets it's alcohol content out of a store bought bottle cannot be "shine" by any definition of the word. I'm wondering what planet I've landed on at this point.
    what he said. but on the other hand, there are formulas out there for apple pie moonshine. google it. I have made it and it tastes great. it was apple cider, cinnamon, sugar, other spices, get that boiling and mix. Let cool. Add Everclear, 190 proof. Wife loved it.

Boolit Grand Master

I prefer peach or lemon flavored. But I've had the apple pie and it tastes good. I prefer the lower proof versions. "White Lightning" does not really agree w/ me. But it's not like brown liquor which turns me into someone I don't like being.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    I thought the same thing for a minute or two. But, considering the hardcore DIY nature of the folks here...
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

I have had it several times at WBTS reenactments and it has invariably been very good. All of the versions I have had were said to be a combination of first run shine, dried apples, cinnamon and brown sugar.

I have also had some made by a local guy who adds dried peaches, pears, persimmons, cherries, strawberries or blackberries. Always extremely good. My grandmother also made her "cough medicine" with some of this fellows shine. She would get a pint jar from him and add soft peppermint sticks until the shine turned bright pink. Then it would sit in the back of the cabinet until you coughed, at which time you would get a healthy dose poured down your throat!
    "Ignorance is curable, but Stupid is forever!"
    -Granddad

Boolit Master

Store bought is belter than being poisoned IMHO. Drink shine that is from unknown maker is like playing Russian Roulette.

I buy my liquor from a legal small distillery. After adding the flavors cut to 75-80 proof. From the 170 proof they sell.

Boolit Grand Master

Apple Pie Shine

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Store bought is belter than being poisoned IMHO. Drink shine that is from unknown maker is like playing Russian Roulette.

I buy my liquor from a legal small distillery. After adding the flavors cut to 75-80 proof. From the 170 proof they sell.
    I tend to agree. Nothing wrong w/ Everclear. I will buy shine off of a few select people. They've been making it for a long time. It's always down to around 80 proof since it's more palatable to most.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post

I think this is prudent if you don't know the distiller. However, anyone that understood HS Chemistry (or maybe not, eh?) can successfully distill. Heads and tails cut are temp dependent and completely different chemicals with completely different properties. There is no witchcraft or mystery here.

Personal use is legal in New Zealand, Australia, Canada and the UK have decided to not enforce personal use distilling, and I think Sweden and Norway as well. We're the only ex-Brit country to keep it illegal. Says something either about our liberty hating gov't or about our HS graduation rate...

In Oregon you can grow dope. But in the US you can't distill 5 gallons of wine to a couple fifths of hooch. Weird, eh?
    Last edited by ol skool; 10-04-2015 at 12:54 AM. Reason: irony
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Boolit Buddy

Mind you, this ain't 'shine-but if you want to drink a slice of apple pie, this is pretty good!!--

Take a gallon of apple cider, pour about 1/2 of it into another container and save for final step.
    Into the now 1/2 full cider jug, pour in a fifth of Yukon Jack liqueur, and a pint of high end Vodka. Everclear works, but the high end Vodka smooth's out the finished product, takes the bite out. If you really want the bite, use Everclear.
    Drop in 3-4 cinnamon sticks, and a dozen or so whole cloves.
    Top the jug back up with the reserved cider, cap and allow to sit in a warm place, for a week or 10 days. As above, the longer, the better.

Be sure you have no place to go, and preferably be sitting down, when you swill your first glassful. Really good for dessert on Turkey Day! And no hassle baking! Oh, no ice!
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    never made it but I have drank it.
    it's still moonshine but tastes like apple, not like apple juice for sure, but it has the taste of apples.
    Same experience here