RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Snake eyes derringer question

Boolit Mold

Snake eyes derringer question

I just got a derringer like the one shown in this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Eyes-Derringer

I can't think of any real use for it, except for maybe a "finisher" on small game when you don't want to try to catch the head with the edge of a shot pattern from a 16ga! The original specs. state 12gr of FFFg under a .350 patched ball. But, bring a smooth bore, I was thinking maybe a cardboard wad, some #6 shot, & a top wad instead of a round ball.

Anyone care to take a stab at what I should use for the wad(s) &/or how much shot to use?
    Also, any commonly found items that would measure out the 12gr FFFg? Maybe a .380 case, or similar?

Thanks in advance!

Boolit Master
    You might try 36 revolver wads. Might be a little snug. Amount of shot will be trial and error. Measure out 12gr. by volume, then find a empty cartridge case and file down to hold it. I use a 22 rf for my 32 S&W loading.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Mold
    the smallest amount my measure will hold is 20gr... I was hoping someone might know offhand of a brass case or other container that might hold 12gr.
    The revolver wads are just thick felt? The bores measure .366" diameter, maybe I can just punch out some 3/8" felt wads?

Boolit Master
    I have one that starts a 0 and goes up in 10gr increments. I will set it a hair over ten and see what it holds and check some cases.

Yes the wads I have seen are lubed felt

I will post what I find out.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Dixie gunvworks has some interesting info in the back of their catalog ( well worth the price just for the info ) sadly I'm not around my copy,
    On the shot charge standard was an equal volume as the powder,
    Eh,I'd just stuff two balls in it,tried 3 but two worked better for me,less fuss that aways
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    Here are the results. I set the measure just past the 10gr. mark. With Goex 3f it is a hair from filling a 9mm Luger case. When using a case make sure the fired primer is still in it. Not as silly as it sounds. Don't ask.
    swamp

Boolit Master
    +1 on shot same as powder(volume) It is what I have read since I got a canoe gun.

Boolit Mold
    Sounds too easy! A 9mm scoop for both powder & shot? Sweet!
    A buddy has some FFFg to spare, I'll post results as soon as I can (but looks like rain for the next 7 days here in the ADK's... not exactly black powder weather!).
    Thanks so much!

i dug out ye olde dixie last night , they state for the snake eyes the charge is a .350 rb w/ .010 patch and 10 gr.FFFg
    in the back they show the closest shell to hold that much powder is a 32 short cf ( cf stands for centerfire ) a 32 short rf holds 11 grains ( but are kind of rare lolz ) 32 long and 41 short both hold 15 grains , the 9 mm isnt listed in this chart [shrugz]
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Mold
    So with a .366 bore, what should be the O.D. of the wads? I was going to make a hole punch for what I need, thinking .375 may be too tight??

Boolit Mold
    Took a while, but got to the range today with some 3f a buddy gave me. HAHA! On the one hand, I wouldn't want to be shot in the face with this thing, but on the other, I'm not convinced I could hit a stationary squirrel 6 feet away! I'm using a 9X18 Makarov case as a dipper for both powder & #6 shot (43 pellets). Bar coaster punched out to .375" for over & under shot cards (when punched out, they cup perfectly to fit!), and using Darr lube on the edges of the cards. Shot "pattern" was over 2 FEET across @ about 15 feet. HAHA! I'll experiment with some shot cups made from plastic milk jugs & see if that helps to tighten the shot any. More to follow...
    Any other suggestions greatly appreciated!

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like a good snake gun when loaded with #12 shot.

I remember a guy shooting one of the snake eye guns at the fifty yard backstop once. It seemed like it took forever for the ball to smack the cardboard. No idea where it hit, but we heard it.

Robert