Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: If you could have only one revolver.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    OP here. I ended up with a minty 629-2 that was so clean, there was no appreciable fire markings on the end of the cylinder and the forcing cone was square and sharp with no erosion, flame cutting and the recoil shield showed no wear either.

I realize it doesn't have the endurance mods, but this isn't going to be a hot rodded go to. I'll keep my rugers for that.
    Glad to hear it worked out for you. I had a 29-2 for many years before I decided it wanted to be elsewhere.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Banned
    Sounds like the OP found a keeper.
    A stainless N-frame in 44 Mag is an extremely versatile tool.

44 Special loads or 44 mag loads in the 44 Special range can fulfill 95% of what a 44 is called upon to perform and the 629 still has the ability to fill that last 5% of 44 magnum needs. That is a classic and very well rounded revolver !!
    Load up a bunch of 250 grain Keith bullets with "Skeeter" level loads and a few full magnum loads and never look back !!!

ENJOY !!

Boolit Master

625 because it is so much fun.

Mine would be Ruger BH Flattop in 44 SPC, 4 5/8" bbl - and YES - I DO have this one! Your 629 option will do ANYTHING my 44 SPC BH will do. I primarily shoot Keith 255 cast, and sometimes RNFP 215 grn.

Boolit Master

Reply to OP only.

My 4 inch model 19 converted to RB. Hammer cut to minimum and trigger polished smooth. action smoothed for DA. I have never shot it SA after trying that 15 years ago.

.357 full loads or 38 specials.

Boolit Grand Master

OP here. I ended up with a minty 629-2 that was so clean, there was no appreciable fire markings on the end of the cylinder and the forcing cone was square and sharp with no erosion, flame cutting and the recoil shield showed no wear either.

I realize it doesn't have the endurance mods, but this isn't going to be a hot rodded go to. I'll keep my rugers for that.
    Old school 629, good call. Classy old revolver. Which barrel length?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Old school 629, good call. Classy old revolver. Which barrel length?
    6" barrel. It matches my other 6" N frames

Boolit Grand Master

Nicely done. Congrats. Ignore (almost) everything I say about the 43 Mag.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Nicely done. Congrats. Ignore (almost) everything I say about the 43 Mag.
    No problem as the 41 and 45colt are my #1 and #2 love affairs respectively.

This replaces a DW 44 mag dad had that was "reallocated" unceremoniously by my brother.

Boolit Master

Would really depends on ones primary needs and location. In the lower 48 I could be content on either a 3" K frame .357 for concealed carry or 4" K frame adj sights .357 for everything. Further north I'll take either a 4" N frame preferred in .41 mag or second in .44 mag.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Revolver? S&W 686 .357 mag. Why...versatile rounds;

Shot Shells
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Grand Master

No problem as the 41 and 45colt are my #1 and #2 love affairs respectively.....(snip)
    I will admit to being a 45 Colt fan and as a lifelong titewad I see little reason to have a 45 and a 43. There is a twin to my 45 Colt RBH in 41 Mag at the local big box retailer. Some days it makes sense to just buy that little gem and put it away until I feel like messing with it. Never ventured into 41 territory but I know the reward would justify the journey.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine would be an "N" frame .357 with a 4" or 5" barrel.

Boolit Buddy

Colt Anaconda, hands down
    Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Maybe a 454 Casull configuration like freedom arms with new cylinder chambered in 38-40 with appropriate barrel of about 10" in length. But, then these types of posts are like going hunting or to the range with only one cartridge.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Ruger Security-Six. Stainless steel with a 6" barrel. 1977 vintage. I did have to add a Weaver 2X scope for my aging eyes,

Boolit Master
    I've got many Colt SAA's that I'm never parting with but if I had to choose one, I'd choose the one with the best trigger. It's the first one I bought over 30 years ago. It's a .44 Special 4 3/4" blued with eagle rubber grips. I bought it new as a .45 and had it recalibrated. It's on its second pair of eagle grips. It's absolutely accurate.

Boolit Master

"Recalibrated." I like that.

A four and three quarter forty four special. That has to be a sweet arm. I once drooled over one of that description, blued/color cased and it had a .44-40 cylinder and elk grips with lots of bark to 'em. Sadly, I didn't have the $1100 he wanted, and that was nigh on 40 years ago now.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    This particular Colt's .44 Special also has a 44/40 cylinder. In fact I have two (2) .44 Special cylinders for it, one I had custom cut to .430".

Boolit Man
    All too east,Ruger single six with interchangeable 22mag. Cylinder