Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many casted boolits can you stack?

Boolit Master

Thanks to a couple of hurricanes, I had quite a bit of scrap cedar fencing when my fence blew down along with a good many others in town. I decided to replace it with a metal fence (wrought iron style), so I had a lot of cedar pickets that still had a bit of life in them. I pressure washed some of them and let them dry out and used them for storage boxes in my garage for nails & bolts and in my reloading room for brass and bullets. The ones for brass can be quite a bit longer than the ones for bullets. Here's a couple of photos of the small ones being used for bullets and brass. These are made from 5 pieces of the cedar picket and they are all the same length (about 7" long). The pickets are about 5.5" wide. By making all the pieces the same length, I can set up my power miter saw with a stop block and cut them all out very quickly.

So, by recycling the old pickets, the cost of the boxes were a few nails, a bit of glue, and a minute or two with my small electric pressure washer (I don't break out the gas powered one unless I've got a large project).

New pickets are around $2.40 each at Home Depot. They are 5/8" thick -- a bit thicker than my pickets were after all these years and numerous pressure washings. You can make 2 boxes out of a single new picket.

The joints are just glued and nailed, no fancy joinery, but they hold up nicely. The above box that is partly filled with bullets weighed 38 lbs. I could see that hitting 50 lbs if it was filled all the way to the top. As far as I'm concerned, the size of the box is limited by how much I'm willing to carry from the storage area to my reloading bench at one time.
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 08-18-2016 at 11:34 PM.

I also like to use 30 cal amo cans. They hold about 60 LBS of boolits. I have 10 different molds I use. After filling all my ammo cans I PC enough boolits to fill Costco's nut jars. They hold approx 800 45 cal boolits. Then I go back and cast more boolits to fill my ammo cans. From the nut jar I size and lube my boolits and stack them in 3x5x2 cardboard boxes. Next I have to go back to my amo can and PC more boolits for my nut jars and then cast more boolits. From my cardboard boxes I load my boolits and stack them in MTM cases. Here comes the best part, then I shoot them and start all over again. That is how I stack my boolits.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

I get the little 2-3gallon buckets from home depot and store them in those. They are cheap enough to have 3 for every caliber (cast-pcd-sized/finished) they stack well and arent crazy heavy when loaded up.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Yeah, but let's see how many of the Lee 309-230-5R you can stack...
    Six. I was able to stack six….

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2308.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	150470

the trick is to get them to touch end to end when you're powder coating them (smoke's clear), then stand them up as a unit before you break them apart...

Boolit Master

Yep and super glue don't count.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stilly View Post
    Long story short, I was banned from Calguns for 10 days so I decided to be productive and see what I could get done instead of sitting around in front of the computer looking for jobs.
    which begs the question, what did you do to get your '10 day vacation?'
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place