Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: just bought a hollywood press tell me what I have

Boolit Buddy
    I was wondering about these. does the turret index or just sort of float. I am interested in one of these, and was wondering about repeatability going back and forth between dies.

Brad Hurt

Boolit Master
    Kevin, was the Super turret made in steel? I thought they were Aluminum, but I have never seen one other than pictures. If they were made in steel-iron, they must weigh a lot. My Senior Turret is close to 50 lb. I believe.

Boolit Buddy
    The turret index's on a ball detent on the top of the press. It is quite positive and the bearing surface on top is very large.

This press is a turret press not a quasi-progressive lee press.
    Last edited by jaguarxk120; 11-20-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsbrad View Post
    I was wondering about these. does the turret index or just sort of float. I am interested in one of these, and was wondering about repeatability going back and forth between dies.

Brad Hurt
    Mine is the only one I have used or seen but It has a 3/8 or so ball bearing that fits in a deep detent in front of each die. The top has a wheel that works like a clamp to lock it down tight.

Boolit Buddy
    My top nut/wheel has a set screw in the top, after all play is taken out the set screw is set and the turret will turn with no play at all.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep your right I did not look very close at mine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    Kevin, was the Super turret made in steel? I thought they were Aluminum, but I have never seen one other than pictures. If they were made in steel-iron, they must weigh a lot. My Senior Turret is close to 50 lb. I believe.
    My all-steel Senior Turret weighs 42lbs.

You can find these presses in both aluminum or steel. As far as Pressman and I can determine, the really tall one (the press on the right) was always in aluminum. Their 1960s Super Turret with the twin tie rods is steel.

Part of the problem is that either these presses changed names over time; or the names remained the same, but the appearance changed. Very Confusing. It also didn't help that not all presses were labeled with a name. My Senior Turret is obviously a Senior Turret, but has no markings whatsoever. This leads me to believe that it was made by the person who bought out the company (but not the rights to fabricate new presses) from Lyle Corcoran (who bought Universal and started Hollywood, but not necessarily in that order).

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 11-20-2010 at 05:28 PM.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Buddy
    I have to say thank you to all on the info on this press. we are in the final minutes of the sale on ebay and I am thrilled. I have learned alot about these presses and did not know any of the history behind them. In turn I have really become interested in pacific stuff alot more. Manley because I live in lincoln NE. Again thank you to everybody that helped.

Boolit Master

Your press went for quite a high dollar amount. I bid it up to $600 but stopped there. The winner must have really wanted it. I hope he is a member here.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Buddy
    The press went for $607.77, nice amount. Now you can go out and get a real nice Redding UltraMag.

I just realized that I'm now suffering from "Press Envy"................
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Banned
    That was an interesting sale. 14 bids by 5 bidders. One bidder ran it up to 600. The winner raised his own winning bid two more times. I wonder what his top $$$ was if his original bid was more than $600.
    That is a lot of $$$ for that model. Normally the three turret models bring this kind of $$$.
    Glad to see a board member come out on top for a change.

Ken

Boolit Master

Do we know who the winner was?

Boolit Buddy
    I don't want to give the winners name out but I will say he was the first person to bid. At least I think he was. Kevin I saw that you bid I was gunning for you. You were the only person I recognized. again thanks to all that helped.

Boolit Master

My bidding on it doubled your money. You owe me a percentage!

I don't mind losing that auction as I just made a deal here for a Model II.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok time to confess my purchase price. I paid 25.00. I am so happy that I was able to score a deal like this.

Boolit Master

Don't tell the person you bought it from. If he doesn't kill you outright, expect him to put a contract on you.

There are deals to be had provided you spot them and know enough to take advantage of the opportunity.

Another guy and I had a conversation today about this very subject. Widows are giving away their dead husband's guns and reloading equipment for free or pennies on the dollar. The reloading equipment goes for nothing in estate sales, while the guns are bought by unscrupulous gun dealers and attorneys handling the estate who turn them around for big bucks.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought it from my gun shop. They nor I knew how much it was worth.

wow, for that kind of $$ maybe a few for may come out from under the bench!