Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Had an AD with a Sharpes

Boolit Master

Had an AD with a Sharpes

Fellas, I was shooting my Shiloh Sharpes .45-70 off hand at the local public range, my thumb slipped off the hammer while I was cocking it and the hammer came down discharging the round. My round impacted the dirt 20 feet in front of me so no harm done but I was surprised. This rifle has set triggers and none of my fingers were anywhere near either trigger. I always cock the hammer back 1/4" until it clicks after firing to keep the hammer off the firing pin in preparation of loading the next round.

I have been shooting this rifle pretty regularly for the past two years since I received it from Shiloh Sharps. I ordered it from Lucinda when I stopped to the shop in Big Timber and I waited 2 years for it. I have shot it in a local BP match and I cast and load my own. I have been shooting all my life and have competed in many matches of various disciplines.

This AD confuses me and so being not as familiar with the Sharpes as many of you here I would like your feedback and opinions of what I may have done wrong.

Boolit Master

The rifle was pointed in a SAFE direction and no one was hurt, that's the most important part! Have you called the manufacturer? Always a good start.

Boolit Master
    I will try to explain
    On set trigger guns, there is a fly on the hammer that blocks the sear from dropping into the half cock notch
    If you let the hammer go before it catches on the full cock notch..the sear will ride over the half cock notch and the gun will fire
    with my Sharps and Rolling blocks..I use the first joint on my thumb to cock the rifle..not the end of my thumb
    seems to be more positive

Boolit Master
    Makes sense 4060MAY, thanks. I've been shooting Colt's single action revolvers for years and always hook the joint of my thumb over the hammer and never rely on the knurling to cock the hammer. After the AD I finished the shooting session being careful to hook my thumb over the hammer when cocking, and I'll make sure to make a point of doing that in the future all the time with my Sharpes.

In Remembrance

Hammer actuated set-trigger rifles are all prone to firing if you let the hammer slip while cocking from half-cock, even flintlocks. That's just the nature of the beast. Greasy thumbs and inattention to how you grip the hammer spur all contribute to the issue. #1 rule: keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. There are only 2 kinds of shooters, those who have has an accidental discharge, and those who will.

I have a friend that I shoot with occasionally and I had to stop letting him shoot my Bisley 45 Colt. He always cocks the hammer with the end of his thumb instead of deeper into the thumb. Being a Bisley hammer (pointing back instead of up), it sometimes slips off his thumb during the cocking process and scares him and I both! I finally just quit letting him shoot it. Glad to hear nobody was hurt except Mr. Pride.

Boolit Master
    That's what happens with any hammer gun when you fail to cock it fully and it slips. Nothing to call Shiloh about, it's all operator error. The 87 Winchester was famous for this and I once shot a quail this way with mine and never touched the trigger. It wasn't intentional, but muzzle control matters. Always.

Boolit Man
    Oviously its junk....TAKE NO CHANCES!! send it to me and I'll pay for the shipping ... $#it happens ... Been shooting mine (several that I have) in competition and never had that happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    Fellas, I was shooting my Shiloh Sharpes .45-70 off hand at the local public range, my thumb slipped off the hammer while I was cocking it and the hammer came down discharging the round. My round impacted the dirt 20 feet in front of me so no harm done but I was surprised. This rifle has set triggers and none of my fingers were anywhere near either trigger. I always cock the hammer back 1/4" until it clicks after firing to keep the hammer off the firing pin in preparation of loading the next round.

I have been shooting this rifle pretty regularly for the past two years since I received it from Shiloh Sharps. I ordered it from Lucinda when I stopped to the shop in Big Timber and I waited 2 years for it. I have shot it in a local BP match and I cast and load my own. I have been shooting all my life and have competed in many matches of various disciplines.

This AD confuses me and so being not as familiar with the Sharpes as many of you here I would like your feedback and opinions of what I may have done wrong.

It will also drop the hammer if it is full cocked with the breechblock down, soon as the block is raised the hammer will ride out of the cock notch and get your attention. A heavy load of compressed 3f and a heavy bullet in a 45-70 going off before it is properly shouldered will hit you hard enough to make sure you remember: half cock until re-locked.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Buddy
    It is a SHARPS, not a Sharpes.

Boolit Master
    I want to thank each and every one of you for your wisdom and advice for me on this incident.

It is greatly appreciated.

Boolit Master
    >>>my thumb slipped off the hammer while I was cocking it<<<

I did this with a .410 single shot one hot sweaty day when it was about 100F.
    Totally my own fault.
    EDG

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by rr2241tx View Post
    It will also drop the hammer if it is full cocked with the breechblock down, soon as the block is raised the hammer will ride out of the cock notch and get your attention. A heavy load of compressed 3f and a heavy bullet in a 45-70 going off before it is properly shouldered will hit you hard enough to make sure you remember: half cock until re-locked.
    If you have a Sharps rifle which does that, it needs work.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Mold
    I had the full cock sear notch break on one of my C. Sharps by Montana Armory. Hammer fell as soon as I full cocked the rifle. It was at the shooting range with the rifle pointed downrange. I took the lock plate off and saw the problem, and used my dremel tool to recut the notch.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried to decock a Ruger Single Six back about 50 years ago. Hot, sweaty, overconfident and I attempted this while in the car after a jackrabbit decided to vamoose. Perforated the windshield of a 63 Impala.