Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Ruger GP 100 lightening

Boolit Bub

Ruger GP 100 lightening

I have a Ruger GP 100 SS with a six inch barrel. The grip feels really good to me for one handed bullseye competition shooting but it is nose heavy. If I drilled out the under lug do you think there would be enough weight removed to make a noticeable difference?
    Thanks
    Gene

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know if that would help any but if you could trade it for a 4" it might solve your problems. I've got a 4" GP 100 and love it. I think my Smith model 14 might be slightly more accurate tho.
    Bullseyes to you,
    Jack

Boolit Master
    a 5/16 drill run 3 inches deep will remove 1 oz of steel, according to my calculations. Steel is 4.566 oz/cuin. I was considering the same thing, but I found a 6 inch no lug GP100
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Add weight to the Butt of the gun first and see if it makes a differance in the balance.

Moderator Emeritus

Why not just mill off the underlug back to nearly the front of the cylinder pin/ejection rod? I've liked the GP 100 but don't like the wt. for a .357. To me, a .357's main asset is it can be made much lighter than a .44, etc., and that's negated when you carry a heavy gun anyway. I'd really like to have one that's been lightened significantly, but haven't found one in my price range .... yet. Very good guns, but just too heavy for me in my old age!

Boolit Buddy
    I have two 6" Pythons, both are 1963 mfd but one had the barrel replaced at the Colt factory ~ 1968. In plain language this means that the guns are nearly identical and within 1K serials of eachother but one has a solid lug barrel and the other a hollow lug. There is a noticeable difference in the way they handle. The hollow lug points faster; the solid lug feels somewhat front heavy. Between the two I prefer to shoot the solid lug Python, the extra weight up front soaks up more recoil and puts you back on target faster.

Boolit Master

With the stainless gun you have just mill off the lug as previously suggested. Add some judicious file work and you can have a nice barrel like Ruger used to make. When I bought my GP back in the 90's you could get both lugged and unlugged. I bought the unlugged due to the weight issue.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle