Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite cleaning rod?

What is your favorite cleaning rod?

I've used Dewey rods for years, but now I'm leaning towards Tipton carbon fiber rods. I like how stiff they are not to mention they can't get bent. My only thought about them is possible barrel wear due to their larger diameter. Other than that I really like them.

So, what's your favorite rod?

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    I started using Parker Hale coated rods in the late 80s and have found no reason to change brands. I bought enough tips and adapters to "American" tips to last a life time of serious cleaning so it doesn't matter to me that the tips were proprietary.

I have a couple Dewey rods and would probably go that way if I ever needed to.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

If you ask enough people, you can find somebody that will tell you that brand "X" rods will ruin your barrel. ( For every brand on the planet. )

I have used coated, un-coated, steel, brass, aluminum,. Never carbon. I am too tight for that.

I don't really see any difference in them. Now I use un-coated steel on rifles and aluminum on large caliber handguns.

Ok. Now set back and watch the fun!
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

For my rifles I have Belding and Mull 30 and 22 caliber rods but in my tool kit I have some jointed rods and pull thru's and gravitate to the snakes.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I have a real nice Otis pull through kit that my dad gave me, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's seems to have a good theory behind it and it works great if space is a concern. I just don't think it's as convenient as a rod is. I'm really not sure about Bore snakes. I like them for a shotgun, never tried one in a rifle though.

Boolit Grand Master

The otis system is very handy to have. I seen the early demonstrations at Perry where they showed all its uses cleaning, as a chamber brush, the unique patch system and last was pushing a stuck bullet out of a barrel. I use dewy rods for most jobs, but also have some parker hales and others here. I dont fully think its the rod but the care they are used with by the operator.

Boolit Master

I like the Parker Hale pistol rods. Have to clean levers and some autos from the muzzle, so I use the B&M or Pro-Shot steel rods with the brass muzzle protectors. Parker Hale coated rods for bolts and singles from the breech. Deweys for shotgun.

Naught a Tioton carbon fiber rid last fall. But the boolit and spent the money. I am very happy with it.

I am guessing I am the exception here. I have 2 I like. One is designed as a cheap give away air rifle cleaning kit. Piece of plastic tubing with a small string inside and a loop at one end and a tee handle at the other.

The other is a simple piece of surveyor's string with loop in the middle, a piece of solder tied on one end for quick and easy dropping down .30 bores. It is long enough to clean my Mosin's from either end without pulling it too far so you can't reach it.

Both were free.

If I just have to have a stiff rod I have a couple I can grab, my preferred choice being the rod under the barrel of my Mosin's.

For me the string is faster, causes less wear on the barrel, and can do any caliber from .22lr up to my biggest, the .444 Marlin.

I have three of the tipton cleaning rods and they all work great. Atleast I used to have 3, I splintered one trying to use it as a long punch to get a chamber cast out once. In either case the abuse it took before breaking makes me like them more.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by duckey View Post
    Naught a Tioton carbon fiber rid last fall. But the boolit and spent the money. I am very happy with it.
    "Bought a Tipton carbon fiber rod last fall. Bit the bullet and spent the money. I am very happy with it."

Pre Spell Check computer? (Sorry, just struck me funny, your post looks like mine do when I try to type on my phone,,,,,,)

I had wondered about the carbon rods, may just have to invest.
    Last edited by Hamish; 08-15-2015 at 11:32 AM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Carbon rods are tuff. I had my tailgate fall down while running 70 down the hi way. My carbon fiber rod was the only thing that made it. Everything thing else was scattered and run over by the time I got back to it. I got lucky with my guns they where on the back seat of my truck.

Boolit Master
    I have used Dewey, Tipton, Pro Shot, Bore Tech and a couple of others I can't recall at the moment. Every brand that I mentioned is good and can do a good job, however, if I had to pick just one it would be Bore Tech. TJ

My favorite is the one I made from a broken set, some wood and a $2 fiberglass driveway/ hydrant marker.

Boolit Grand Master

For my match rifles polished stainless rods. For my varmint rifles Tipton Carbons.

Boolit Bub
    I still use the Parker Hale rods I got back in the early 1980s, they still work very well.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a full set of the Tipton carbon rods. I have no complaints. The handle is nice and big. Only wish they made a shorter one. 12" is overkill for all of my handguns.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 Bore-Tech V-Stix's, coated steel rods with ball bearing handles, I like them very much. I use a Pro-Shot stainless on my pistols
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

I don't know the name brands that I use but they were el cheapo's when I brought them but I cover them with heat shrink tubing seems to do a good job on both the rifles and pistols.I was taught that you have to watch a smooth talking salesman because their product is always the best.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

I like the heat shrink idea. Sounds like a good way to restore a nylon coated rod.