RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Corn cob or nut for brass ??

Boolit Buddy
    Well after a bit over 24 hours of vibratory tumbling and those shells came out pretty dam clean. Very few black spots. Now I pose this to you. Which is better? the Vibratory tumblers or Thumbler Tumblers? I had both at one time but that was alooong time ago and I honestly don't remember which one cleaned better. Right now I'm just using the vibrator type. It's pretty good if I let it run for at least 12 hours on really dirty brass.

On another note, a couple of days ago I was at the range and was testing some really light loads for a buddy to use in IDPA matches. I loaded 15 .45acp 185 grain pbsw rounds with 3.5 grains of Clays. The shells were once fired Winchester brass. the 4th round blew the bottom of the case out at the head, blew the Th round back down into the mag. and destroyed the plastic magazine follower. I know I weighed every one of those 15 rounds as I loaded them so it was not a heavy load. Anyone ever have that happen to them?

(Maybe I should start a new thread with this???)

Jack

so I can Then I go for a few
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Master
    I heard of similar things happening with super light loads. One way to try to prevent case blow up is by using an inert fillers such as dacron stuffer. Otherwise thy using the slowest powder you can so more space is filled up inside the case.

Quote Originally Posted by WildmanJack View Post
    Well after a bit over 24 hours of vibratory tumbling and those shells came out pretty dam clean. Very few black spots. Now I pose this to you. Which is better? the Vibratory tumblers or Thumbler Tumblers? I had both at one time but that was alooong time ago and I honestly don't remember which one cleaned better. Right now I'm just using the vibrator type. It's pretty good if I let it run for at least 12 hours on really dirty brass.

On another note, a couple of days ago I was at the range and was testing some really light loads for a buddy to use in IDPA matches. I loaded 15 .45acp 185 grain pbsw rounds with 3.5 grains of Clays. The shells were once fired Winchester brass. the 4th round blew the bottom of the case out at the head, blew the Th round back down into the mag. and destroyed the plastic magazine follower. I know I weighed every one of those 15 rounds as I loaded them so it was not a heavy load. Anyone ever have that happen to them?

(Maybe I should start a new thread with this???)

Jack

so I can Then I go for a few
    I've never went that lite in a 45 ACP. Didn't hang a bullet did ya?

Boolit Buddy
    No didn't hang a bullet, but sure was surprised when the case blew. I'll try to post a picture of it if I can find the case..
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Quote Originally Posted by carpetman View Post
    I think the question of corn cobb or walnut media is as much a preference thing as briefs or boxers.
    Boxers!
    Old and Wobbly !!

But it sure beats the other option!

Used nothing but rice so far.

Works good but gets stuck in flash hole. So I tumble first, then decap.

I have some pecan shell from my dad I am going to try. Just can't bring myself to pay for media.

I use Brasso. I have some Nu Finish as well.
    When all is said and done, there is a lot more said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by ForneyRider View Post
    Used nothing but rice so far.

Works good but gets stuck in flash hole. So I tumble first, then decap.
    I like to size with the de-capping pin removed, then tumble, and finish with a universal de-capper........Creeker