Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: Lobster Beer? Not just no but H*** NO!

Boolit Grand Master

Lobster Beer? Not just no but H*** NO!

This Maine Beer Has A Very Special Ingredient

By Dan Nosowitz on July 28, 2015

Lobster rolls, lobster boils, steamed lobster, grilled lobster ... lobster beer?

There are dozens of ways to prepare this crustacean, and Mainers have certainly tried more than most. But one Maine company, Oxbow Brewing, is trying something nobody has tried before: They’re actually brewing a lobster-infused beer.
    It’s called “Saison dell’Aragosta” (“aragosta” is Italian for lobster) and is a special seasonal offering. The ale made by boiling whole Maine lobsters in “sweet wort,” a mixture of water, malt and grain, made before adding the hops. After the lobsters are cooked, they’re hauled out of the sweet wort (and, according to The Boston Globe, promptly eaten). After the crustaceans are picked clean, their shells, which still retain a great deal of lobster flavor, are added back to the sweet wort, along with some Maine sea salt.
    After a bit more time, the shells are removed, hops are added and brewing proceeds as usual. The beer itself is a saison, a Belgian-style pale ale that’s made in the winter and drunk in the summer. That’s perfect for a lobster-infused beer: Though more Maine lobsters are caught during the summer, the lobster is actually tastier during the winter, thanks to a hard winter shell and less water content in the meat. That makes a lobster saison beer a pretty decent way to preserve lobster flavor.

And how does the beer taste? One reviewer on BeerAdvocate, a user-submitted review site, describes it this way: “Light, dry, tart citrus, a touch of funk, finishes with some salinity and a hint of the lobster. Sounds obvious but this is the perfect summer beer to pair with seafood. Really well done.”
    The Saison dell’Aragosta is available in a limited quantity—the company only makes 3,000 bottles—and available mostly near the brewery’s Portland, Maine, headquarters.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Pronounced lobstah! Not lobster.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    Pronounced lobstah! Not lobster.

Ayuh.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Dunno about lobster, thinking about clam though.

In Remembrance

a hint of funk? no thanks.
    I am interested in that new rootbeer beer, though!
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Banned

make mine a Bud thankyou. Ive got about as much use for those designer beers as I do a prius or kia soul

Wicked pissah good!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    No thanks. I do like crawfish and beer.

In Remembrance
    Iirc, there is a brewery up here that makes some sort of salmon beer, different strokes for different folks.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd drink one.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cpileri View Post
    a hint of funk? no thanks.
    I am interested in that new rootbeer beer, though!
    Wife got one last time we were out. Not bad. Wasn't for me, but not bad. I could choke down a bottle of I had to.

I wouldn't drink the lobster beer, but I would be willing to try the rootbeer beer. The lobster thing is just too weird for me.

Boolit Master
    My Dad was kind'a the "King of Cheap". He would buy anything if it was cheap enough. Then he'd usually buy a LOT of it. One time, years ago, he got a "deal" on a number of cases of P.O.C. in glass bottles. Some people said that stood for "Pride of Cleveland". Others said it stood for "P*ss on Call". He gave me a case of it. I couldn't handle more than one swig of it. It had pretty much the same effect on everybody I tried to give it to. It was hard to even eventually find someone who would take the empty bottles...

Dave
    Psalm 18: 28-49
    Psalm 144: 1-8

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    No thanks. I do like crawfish and beer.
    How about getting Abita to make a Mudbug Beer with a lagniappe of cayenne!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't know if I'd be willing to drink the beer, but I'd most definitely be willing to feast on the lobster itself.