Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Marlin 1894 Cowboy, 357 Mag, Problems

Marlin 1894 Cowboy, 357 Mag, Problems

I have been doing some load development work with this rifle lately. It belongs to my dad and I only have it for a limited amount of time. I have been fighting several issues with it, mostly self inflicted and related to mounting a scope. I think I am past that, now.

My current question pertains to the magazine tube mounting. Dad had a sling swivel mount on the magazine tube. After my first range session I noticed that the dovetail the magazine tube is mounted to out at the muzzle was loose and the tube was cockeyed in relation to the barrel. I straightened it, then later took it apart and tried to stake the dovetail mounting point down but it worked loose again while shooting today.

I can understand where the dovetail mount under the front handguard should probably float (and does). Is the front dovetail also supposed to float or should that be fixed down?

The rifle has been shooting pretty lackluster through a wide variety of bullets/powder combinations. I am beginning to suspect that the issue is related to this magazine tube mounting or a rough barrel. I want to rule those two issues out before burning up any more components.

-ktw

Boolit Master
    The magazine should not float. You need to steak the front down solid and tighten the rear. Mine does not move at all and my rifle will shoot well with several loads I use.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Why put a scope on a 100 yard rifle??

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    Why put a scope on a 100 yard rifle??
    To rule out sight alignment when developing a load.

Once load development is done, take it off.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Thanks NickSS.

I've never had a Marlin before and did not know if the magazine tube was supposed to wobble around like that or if the fact that he had been using a sling mounted to the tube had jerked it loose.

Junior1942: My leverguns all wear peeps, not scopes. However, if it's not hard to scope one, I am not above putting one on temporarily in order to facilitate load development. Given that it's not my rifle, I will mount whatever sights he wants on it prior to returning it.

-ktw

Boolit Master
    The tube should not be loose at the front. A little float at the rear can help keep the tube from binding when things heat up or the wood changes from moisture. Check the buttstock, if it shifts around the groups will open up.

All four of my Marlins wear peep sights, but I sometimes use a scope when working up loads.

beemer