Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to hog hunt

Boolit Buddy

Where to hog hunt

One of my buddies and I are looking to find a place to do some hog hunting this fall. We are looking essentially for a place that has had good reviews (hence why I am asking all of you for your 2 cents.) We did a deer hunt last fall after my buddies tour in Afghanistan and that was all the bells and whistles. We are fine with staying in a hotel, working hard for our hogs, and essentially want a place that will put us on the hogs themselves. We were the only guys in our deer camp that gutted and dragged our deer to the boats! We are not the type that want another guy doing the dirty work for us. We are open to whatever the hunting techniques are in the area. A guy with dogs would be sweet but definitely not a requirement.

We are both in Minnesota, Texas would be good or near the lone star state, nothing too far southeast.

So if you have had a good experience with a company please share and send me any contact info if you have any.

I am hoping to use my 35 remington with cast boolits, maybe my 9.3x62 with home swaged bullets, and likely the bow depending on what the owner of the establishment says.

As always price is key, we don't have a set price but we both are young (and relatively broke) so don't post a several thousand dollar hunt...not going to happen!

Thanks everyone!

Best of luck to you!

I'm from just over the river in North Dakota, like you have been looking for a chance to get some hog hunting.

From what I've seen the best results seem to come from those who find a landowner with a hog problem.

Finding that landowner appears to be the hardest part of the whole process.

Goblism, i have access to about 300 acres, it belongs to a friend, i am in east texas , lots of hogs but sometimes they are hit or miss, i'm getting all the feeders ready for deer season this year , when would you want to hunt, i can put out feeders early i'm sure he would not mind you guys killing some hogs, no charge, but i have to check with him, also have a friend that runs dogs, he is very good at what he does i'll have to ask him what he charges, only thing no firearms around dogs, most are caught alive or killed with a knife....

One more reason I love this place.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    I will tell my buddy about this option. I am in grad school so we are trying to figure out if we want to do an early fall or late summer. I will send you a message and get your contact info longarm85

I want to give you a sincere thank you in advance, regardless if it works out this is more than I could ever ask for.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Not quite what he can do for you BUT x101airborne posted many photos here a few years ago.

Send him a PM and see what he can do for you.

Tell him Girty said HI.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

TX from what I found wants to charge you to help them reduce their vermin. I would look elsewhere where you will be welcome at no fee to help the problem. But that is IMHO

Boolit Master
    Texas has very little public land, saying that that leaves private land. The owner has to pay for it and pay taxes so expect to pay to hunt. sorry if that isn't acceptable but fact is facts.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

Depends on the area. I lived close to Athens for a while, and hogs are a major problem. Most farmers will gladly let you hunt and there is a fair amount of type 2 land in the hills and woods of east tx.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Buddy
    Unfortunately around here, the farmers are spooked about letting people shoot on their land. They're too concerned about a bullet going into their neighbors property or into one of their cows. They use traps and shoot em in the head with a .22.
    Check out my vendors section:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?231-Andy-s-Slow-Rust-Blue

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
    H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master

Geezer in HN

Interesting opinion, so you wanted to travel to Texas and have the Texans give you
    free access to their land and tell you where the best cover was for pigs?

So if I come to New Hampshire, the folk there will let me on their lands for free and tell
    me where all the best Grouse cover is located?

And currently the only invite to hunt has come from Texas !

But that is IMHO

Just askin
    Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 07-22-2015 at 06:46 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master
    I have always like the idea of hunting hogs
    keeping an eye on this thread for ideas
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I have always like the idea of hunting hogs
    keeping an eye on this thread for ideas
    Last February the wife and I combined a visit to Jacksonville Florida with one of her friends from college days and `husband. We went across the peninsula to Cedar Key Florida where we went hog hunting with "Tiger Island Outfitters". Great visit and we enjoyed the Hog Hunting.

Tiger Island Outfitters:

http://www.tigerislandhoghunts.com/index.html

Pros:

• Best prices I found for Florida Hog Hunt - Recommend their 3 Hog Special
    • Excellent Family Run Business
    • They will try to make sure you get on the Hogs
      • No Hunting License required - No "Tag" required

• Plenty of Hogs - Hog not Guaranteed; but it's your fault if you do not get at least one
    • Great selection of Hogs from Shoats to 300/500 pounders on our trip
    • They pick up from the field, gut and skin the hogs for you
    • They have free Ice on site and will help cutting/fitting the carcass into your ice chests and ice down for you leave

Cons:

• The facility is only 35 acres, but surrounded by open swamp.
    • All shots are less than 100 yards because of Palmetto Groves all over the area.
    • No FMJ's allowed- correspond with them in advance on small calibers (they don't care for 5.56/.223's)
    • Hunts are from Stands Only; unless special circumstances are present.
    • There are no "Meat Packing/Packaging" services available. You have to Ice and transport carcasses yourself.
    • There is a $1.00 per pound additional fee for every Hog weighing 100 pounds or more. Be careful - you can escalate your costs rapidly if you can not estimate weight and you shoot a big Boar or Sow.
    • All Hogs are trapped in the Swamps of Florida (State and Federal properties) and transported to this and other Hunting preserves. They may be planted, but they ARE WILD; and will charge you if you are on the ground.

We had a great hunt. I prefer to "Walk/Stalk" my game, but that is not normally an option. For our hunt in February 2015, we got to "Walk/Stalk" the pigs because of weather conditions. During our visit, we had one of those freaky weather conditions where it was 28* each morning - not your typical Florida weather. Because of the cold, the Pigs were not moving, so sitting in the blinds for a few hours did not produce any opportunities, so we were allowed to "Walk/Stalk" the area to harvest our Hogs. As an aside, they have a few EMU's on property and you can arrange to harvest one if you want, not my thing as they tend to be like shooting a fish in a barrel as there is no hunting pressure on them so they are not wary of hunters any more.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 07-22-2015 at 09:15 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Geezer in HN

Interesting opinion, so you wanted to travel to Texas and have the Texans give you
    free access to their land and tell you where the best cover was for pigs?

So if I come to New Hampshire, the folk there will let me on their lands for free and tell
    me where all the best Grouse cover is located?

And currently the only invite to hunt has come from Texas !

But that is IMHO

Just askin
    Mike
    I can't answer for him. But I can say landowners in PA don't charge for access. We do have a good bit of public land. But the majority is still private. When dealing w/ problem species they want them gone. They are more than happy to grant you access for free to remove the problem. A lot buy the tags so you don't even pay for them. Pay to hunt, outside of high fence operations, is a very foreign concept in the north east states.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe attitude is part of the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    TX from what I found wants to charge you to help them reduce their vermin. I would look elsewhere where you will be welcome at no fee to help the problem. But that is IMHO

Boolit Buddy
    Corps of Engineer land is now open to pig hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Texas has very little public land, saying that that leaves private land. The owner has to pay for it and pay taxes so expect to pay to hunt. sorry if that isn't acceptable but fact is facts.

Boolit Master

Geezer, I may have spoken too soon
    I have been given information that the State of NH is wide open to hunters
    and Lumber Companies allow hunting
    Here is cost of license
    http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/licensing/prices.html
    So all y'all saddle up and head to New Hampshire
    SWEET
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I have been off line awhile , Death in the family, wanted to publicly apologize to Goblism for not getting back to him, till now, and yes Geezer in NH, most people charge to hunt on private land, Have you checked into hunting prarie dogs ? Yep, Vermin and it cost big bucks, i was offering a place to hunt to a fellow cast boolit member if you will look no mention of a fee, just trying to help a fellow hunter, im a Retired gunsmith, Rifle builder and give the owner or build the owner a rifle every year to have the right to hunt there, he lets me have a few friends come over and hunt...

Boolit Master
    I am watching also ,
    Mustang, thanks for the info on the Cedar Key operation.
    Longarm85, that's a mighty nice offer to the OP.
    There is also a thread about a group hunt oppurtunity in TN, but at notably higher cost.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Cedar Key is about an hour from winter house. I'll have to check it out.