RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Gold

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    "Investing" in expendables and consumables is not really a good plan for long-term financial security.

Pull the trigger and BOOM.......your "investment" is totally worthless and gone. My great-grandchildren will still have my gold. And they, if they wish, can procure expendables.

Again, smart investing is a personal thing.

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Gold

Silver is down as well. It wasn't that long ago that it was $40 an ounce. Silver is easier for most people to acquire.

I personally buy graded coins. Yes I'm paying a premium. But they also command a premium. They are also extremely easy to sell. If you're looking for bulk purchases then it's not the way to go.

I've bought of eBay but it's only been graded coins. I would not be buying one ounce bars and the like. I'd go to APMEX for something like that. Their prices are fairly reasonable and you know what you're getting is real.

Boolit Master
    If you think it's a good time to buy gold
    or silver then the company selling it to you thinks it's a good time to sell
    if anyone here was really a super expert on stocks and metals then pretty much every big investment firm would be offering them huge sums of money to come work for them.
    Moving back to Alaska

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    If you think it's a good time to buy gold
    or silver then the company selling it to you thinks it's a good time to sell
    if anyone here was really a super expert on stocks and metals then pretty much every big investment firm would be offering them huge sums of money to come work for them.
    And how do you know I don't?????????

Boolit Master

I worked with some fellas that got involved in the Hunt brothers silver deal decades ago. They rode that silver they held and kept buying more up to $50 an ounce or so, I think they still have it too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    And how do you know I don't?????????
    Just a hunch
    My thoughts are investing in anything is just another form of legalized gambling. And yes I do invest on occasion but if I would of followed up on every hot stock tip I was given I would be broke right now.
    Moving back to Alaska

Boolit Grand Master
    Just a hunch
    My thoughts are investing in anything is just another form of legalized gambling. And yes I do invest on occasion but if I would of followed up on every hot stock tip I was given I would be broke right now.
    That is the key.......do NOT buy "hot" stocks!!!!!!!! Or listen to a buddy's "tips".

If done correctly......it is DEFINITELY very far from gambling! I bet you do not think twice before investing....er....gambling on lead or guns.

Do your research and then buy only solid stocks you know intimately that pay good dividends. Hold them. Day trading will only end up loosing your money unless that is your ENTIRE job every single day.

I have many times taken $10K or so and within a few short months doubled it - - with the right knowledge and planned investments.

Gold, silver, & the markets, are not for the average joe on the street. It takes serious research, studying trends, and the willingness to hang in there to grow your money on a long-term basis. If one only has a couple hundred bucks of free liquid cash, buy lead. If one has serious liquid funds, they can make some serious money. And NOT on hot stock tips from Sam the Barber.

As the old saying goes: "It takes money to make money".

banger

Boolit Master
    Then you are truly a wise and wealthy investor if you have on many occasions doubled your investment in just a few months
    Moving back to Alaska

Boolit Grand Master
    Then you are truly a wise and wealthy investor if you have on many occasions doubled your investment in just a few months

Yes it can be done.

Boolit Master
    Just a hunch
    Not investing is just letting inflation eat away at the value of your capital.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    It take me on average 8 years to double the value of my investments.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

As the old saying goes: "It takes money to make money".
    I guess that's why I'll never be rich.

Boolit Master
    In the last 20 years gold has only went up less than doubled compared to S&P going up over 4x. Gold is just a pretty rock for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    $1130.70/oz T today. lowest since Aug "09. It's been falling for several weeks. Might be time to move some assets for long term hedge.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    How can they be the right dimensions and not come up short on weight, do you know the allow because nickel is much less dense than silver.

Tim
    Chinese silver dollar fakes have become so good you can only detect it is not silver with an acid test. You wouldn't do an acid test on a collectible coin.
    We had a coin dealer here with a bowl of fake coins. You could weigh them, measure the dimensions with a micrometer/caliper and not detect anything wrong with a single coin. The color was even right for an old silver dollar. You could find two, or more, with the same exact scratches, marks, etc.

Here is a link to an article and video of counterfeits:

http://goldsilver.com/video/special-...gold-products/

Boolit Master

Tim
    Agreed, never said I did not invest. But it only works if the investments are profitable. Most people who mention how much they make never offer the details of how much they paid in broker fees or capital gains tax.
    Moving back to Alaska

Boolit Master

Tim
    Well said.

Besides, you do have to plan for your future.

Moderator Emeritus

$135 and a 1/10 oz at a time like I do if I have some cash that is not allocated already http://www.apmex.com/product/4/1-10-...bu-random-year

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    It's bad enough I have to endure those stupid gold commercials on TV, now I have to get irate because they're on here? Willy Weethervane and his multi-million dollar "Buy My Gold" commercials have me grabbing the remote to shut him off.

That other idiot says I have to have gold in my "PORTFOLIO." I grab my empty wallet to show that fool my portfolio.

I'd dearly love to have and hold one of those gold coins on those commercials, sadly I don't have a couple thousand bucks it would take to get ONE! I'd much rather have what that money could buy in guns.

Moderator Emeritus

Lot of the fakes were titanium cores

How can they be the right dimensions and not come up short on weight, do you know the allow because nickel is much less dense than silver.

Tim

Moderator Emeritus

In 1960 a silver quarter bought a gallon of gas(or $1 bought 4 gallons), today a silver quarter still buys a gallon of gas or 4 of them 4 gallons. Today that same 1960 paper dollar buys you .32 gallons of gas. Gold and silver protect wealth, may not increase it drastically but they prevent it from eroding.

I love the commercials urging me to buy gold because some experts expect it to increase in value.
    If they really thought it was going to increase, they would be buying it, not trying to sell it to me (a stranger).