Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: Looking for an Ohioan to build a 1911

Boolit Master

Looking for an Ohioan to build a 1911

I am about to preinherit two 1911 pistol "kits" from my elder brother (I am 60, he is 66). He got the frame and slide at Perry during a match years ago, Caspians and slide fitted to frame. He also has all the other parts needed to build into two pistols. He has decided he has other projects more pressing and is giving the kits to me. I have no understanding of the assembly procedure and do not want to learn it. I am in a position of having funds but not time. Is there anyone in Ohio you might recommend for this task? I do not need someone like Andy Horvath or Jim Clarke, just a knowledgeable 1911 fellow. I was going to join one of the 1911 fora to ask this but I am a member here and respect the knowledge base of this forum.

It is my intention to get these built and return one to him.

As I understand it, each frame has the slide mated to it by the factory and the rest of the parts may or may not need to be fitted. If anyone knows of a builder in Ohio, please, let me know who it is.

Thank you for any insight you have to offer.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master

Kevin;
    My pistolsmith is well equipped to handle 1911 builds. His name is Jack Basham, his address is 10121 ZigZag Road Blue Ash (Cincinnati) Ohio. His phone number is 513-793-2134. Tell him Dale McGee sent you. He is relatively fast, very reasonable in price, and most of all, reliable.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Thank you Dale. With both of us in our sixties, neither wants to take the time to learn a new trade so it is better to go with someone who does it daily.

Kevin

There's a gentleman at Camp Perry right now. He's from NW Ohio he has a booth at National matches right now. I would have to look for his card somewhere in my safe.

Boolit Bub
    Try Valley Gunsmithing here in Medina. 330-225-9592 or 330-764-4865. Ask for Jessie Sprouse. He has done great work for me in the past. Tell him Mark sent you. His web site is down right now.

Mark2935

Boolit Buddy
    I was going to suggest Wayne Novak, but his website says due to backlog, not accepting any custom work. His shop is only about a mile from WV/Ohio border.
    You may want to call John Van Why, 740-989-0207, He's in Little Hocking, OH. I've never had him do any work for me, but talking to him at the range he seems very competent and knowledgeable, and does work on 1911's.

Boolit Master
    Way passed time for an update. I took Dale53's suggestion and contacted Jack Basham. He was willing to look at what we had and let us know. When the parts were dropped off to him, he said, sure, no problem. If any of the small parts were missing he was told to replace them and bill us. About 1 or 2 weeks later the pistols were assembled. My brother picked them up and took them to the range. It took a couple of return trips to Jack but now, all is fitted and performs well. My brother enjoys shooting them, I have not yet squeezed the trigger on either one.

Still in the white but once we figure out what we want to do, they will be finished.

The photos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	159200

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	159201

Name:	009.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	159202

Kevin
    Last edited by StrawHat; 01-26-2016 at 11:05 PM.

I'm happy you got them in working order. I'm sure you'll both enjoy them.

Boolit Grand Master

StrawHat;
    Glad to see that things have worked out for you ) but not at all surprised as Jack is super reliable).

I would suggest either of two finishes - either Hard Chrome or Electroless Nickel. I have had work done by Mahovsky Metal Life with great satisfaction.

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/

Dale53

Boolit Master
    The other day, I stopped by the brothers house after a sharpening event. Asked him if wanted the pistol rugs that he carried the 1911s in. Sure, why not. I handed him the rugs and he commented on the weight. I told him pick a holiday and "Happy that holiday" When he saw the two 1911s, he looked at me as if to say ***. I told him I did not want to pre-inherit them but rather get them after he dies and to enjoy them.

He was speechless.

Kevin

Boolit Master

If they are still in the "white" - and you don't want something bright or flashy - I would strongly suggest either ion-bonding or Melonite treatment. You just want to make sure you have the 1911 the way you want it, as these treatments are extremely durable and any machining to be done after the "treatment" is applied, is one big PITA exercise.

Hard Hat is basically a Melonite application - I think. http://www.severnscustom.com/Hard_Hat_Treatment.html

I have the Hard Hat treatment on one of my 1911's and it's dark but not shinny, like some pictures show - as I think the shine comes from oil and bright lights when photo taking. I also had the barrel treated. My other 1911 is ion-bonded. Both have held up to some harsh times and look like they just came from the factory - well, almost that good. A little spendy but if you're thinking of handing these down to many generations - this is the way I went.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ole 5 hole group View Post
    If they are still in the "white" - and you don't want something bright or flashy - I would strongly suggest either ion-bonding or Melonite treatment. You just want to make sure you have the 1911 the way you want it, as these treatments are extremely durable and any machining to be done after the "treatment" is applied, is one big PITA exercise.

Hard Hat is basically a Melonite application - I think. http://www.severnscustom.com/Hard_Hat_Treatment.html

I have the Hard Hat treatment on one of my 1911's and it's dark but not shinny, like some pictures show - as I think the shine comes from oil and bright lights when photo taking. I also had the barrel treated. My other 1911 is ion-bonded. Both have held up to some harsh times and look like they just came from the factory - well, almost that good. A little spendy but if you're thinking of handing these down to many generations - this is the way I went.
    I appreciate the information and will pass it along. The frames, at least are stainless. Not sure yet about the slides. Finishing is on Brother. I got them together for him and they work.

Kevin