RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first 6 self-cast bullets, ever

Boolit Master

The handle broke because the lead was too cold when you cut the sprue. Either pre-heat the mould, or just do the 2 cavities in front for a few bullets and then the front 4 for a few bullets and then maybe you can do all 6. I have said it before, I have at least 30 LEE 6 cavs and cast at least 2000 bullets a week for the last 7 years and have never broken an handle. The mould MUST be hot before cutting sprues.

Boolit Mold
    Run my leemoulds hot.. frosted bullets take powder coating just fine....shake and bake method. Use my vibration tumbler to coat. Then tweezers to grab bullets by nose to put on my baking trays..
    Obtw if the sprue dosnt cut fairly easy just reheat your mould dont force it or you will break at handle attachment. and yes I learned this the hard way!

Quote Originally Posted by wurgerburger View Post
    The sticker said 96% lead, 4% tin.
    So, mix 50 % pure lead (.22LR bullets) and 50 % "new years tin" and you are good to go.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    The handle broke because the lead was too cold when you cut the sprue. Either pre-heat the mould, or just do the 2 cavities in front for a few bullets and then the front 4 for a few bullets and then maybe you can do all 6. I have said it before, I have at least 30 LEE 6 cavs and cast at least 2000 bullets a week for the last 7 years and have never broken an handle. The mould MUST be hot before cutting sprues.
    I had the same thing happen to me--called LEE, they said there was a batch of sprue plates with too much copper in them which made them brittle. They sent me a new one, gratis.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wurgerburger View Post
    Wonder if Lee has any kind of warranty...?
    Email them with a picture of the broken part and they will probably send one in return gratis - my experience with a universal decapping pin that broke suggests this...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Lee has sent me new levers on more than one occasion. They have a page on their website for submitting along with photo and explanation.
    I have the Rn 9mm mold for the bullet you showed in the picture. I broke the lever so many times that I just welded a small square aluminum tab on the end of the sprue plate and tilted it up at a bit of an angle. Just have to tap it with my leather hammer. No more worry about breaking the lever.
    Attachment 143395
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Great documentation thus far, sir

Please keep it coming! It is excellent fodder for other newcomers learning the skill

And, pretty good looking boolits (last pic in particular). Shoot some! That is where the real reward lies... Feeling and seeing your creations punch holes (or explode bottles or game animals) exactly where you intend... Enjoy

Boolit Master
    You know what it is about Casting that captures so many...... Think about this.
    You create something, as close as you can to perfection. Something of beauty in your eye.
    Then you give it life in grand fashion. A huge explosion and you send it speeding away.
    In the end it destroys everything in it's path including itself.
    God should be so proud of us.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Bub
    I made a new lever that fits the original wooden handle. Problem solved

Boolit Buddy
    Better than the first six I made...

You're off to a good start!

Like Rancher suggested, you might want to pre-warm the mold up a good bit before beginning to cast.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    Exactly. I don't THINK I have 30, 6 cavity LEE's, but I haven't counted either. Never broken a single one. If it feels like you are pulling too hard on the lever, you are.. Get it hot however you can, and cast away. Good luck to you.

Boolit Master
    Like the Lee handles, those parts are made of pot metal, and can't take much stress.....someone on here makes steel sprue plates for them, prolly a world of difference!