WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Elco tc hp

Quote Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
    Great shooting guys

I have a couple of questions for the guys shooting this bullet:

Has anyone tried it out to 25 yards yet?

I see two posted COAL's of 1.125 & 1.13. Can anyone load out longer than that?

Frank
    Any tests I make at 25 yards would be of little value to anyone. My eyes don't work well beyond about 50 feet with open sights. My groups get large and don't reseble what they should be. It isn't the guns or ammunition. When some one with good eyes shoots my stuff, it works just fine at longer distances. I try to stay within my limitations.

As far as loading to a longer COAL, yes I can do that. I believe my gun will accept a cartridge with a full diameter boolit protruding that much in front of the case. I just didn't see the point in pushing it out that far. It feeds well at 1.130.
    I can try some clear out to 1.159 if you would like. They will fit in my magazines and almost certainly fit in my gun. It will be several days before I can offer any results for you.

Tazman,
    Thank you, very much. I only ask about the COAL because, I calculated that it could be chambered at close to the full 1.169 (depending on headspace) and I don't have a 9x19 to try it in. I have the mold, too but, got it to try in my 38 Super so, I can't verify that it will load out in the Luger.

Again, thank you,

Frank

Boolit Master
    I loaded a few to start at 1.14, but accuracy was not where I wanted it to be with powder charge range that I wanted to use. I set it a little deeper later in the day and accuracy increased to where I wanted it.

With powder coat on the bullets, they won't go any longer than 1.135 and still pass the plunk test in any of my 9mm barrels.

Wow, ran my temp up a not higher than normal, got the mold hot and the bullets jumped off the pins. 200 in just a bit out of the 2cav mold. Again thanks for the load data!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by straight-shooter View Post
    With powder coat on the bullets, they won't go any longer than 1.135 and still pass the plunk test in any of my 9mm barrels.
    Is that all the way to the taper or did you have to go into the taper a bit before crimping?

When I seat at 1.130 I am right even with the top of the drive band of the boolit just at the edge of the taper. Anything longer than 1.130 would show a little of the drive band above the case.
    I am sizing at .358. A smaller diameter would make the drive band a bit longer.

Hey, straight shooter, are you esping the PC? I tumble coat and mine won't chamber at 1.125 or even at 1.10 (which will most probably be too short). The bullet hits probably 0.020 ahead of the case. If I seat plain at 1.125 it plunks fine. Argggh. My PPQ is a bit tighter than my 1911, but neither will work with my PC bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Hey, straight shooter, are you esping the PC? I tumble coat and mine won't chamber at 1.125 or even at 1.10 (which will most probably be too short). The bullet hits probably 0.020 ahead of the case. If I seat plain at 1.125 it plunks fine. Argggh. My PPQ is a bit tighter than my 1911, but neither will work with my PC bullet.
    I take it the coating makes the front drive band long enough that it won't chamber due to size.
    With the tapered nose on this boolit, I don't think it will work very well with coatings that increase diameter unless you are willing to load it deep in the case. Unfortunately, coatings aren't what this boolit was designed for.
    With regular lube or tumble lube it works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    I'm using the spray gun method which definitely distributes the PC evenly and not so thick like tumbling. I just loaded another 400 rds on the Dillon and they all plunk at 1.125 just fine and sized at .357

This is using the tightest chambered 9mm barrel I have, the H&K VP9

I'm using the spray gun method which definitely distributes the PC evenly and not so thick like tumbling. I just loaded another 400 rds on the Dillon and they all plunk at 1.125 just fine and sized at .357

This is using the tightest chambered 9mm barrel I have, the H&K VP9
    This is undoubtedly correct. I have only used Dry tumble PC and it goes on thick. The ESP method should work just as straight-shooter said.

Thanks guys, yep, I loaded up a dozen to try using regular lube, didn't want to go as deep as a test dummy round made it appear I would.... I really don't want to buy any more equipment, guess I'll lube this round. It sure looks good

Boolit Bub
    Taz, what are your bores slugged at? My M&P9 is .3555 and even my 686 SSR is .3555, I am planning on going with .358 for the ELCO design since .358 has been working in my 686 with the same bore... would there be any issues with going that route?

My bores slug at .358. I have used .358 in barrels that slug at .356(this was the size of my Taurus barrels before I switched them out) so I don't expect there would be a problem with a half thousandth smaller bore.
    The only issue might be if the loaded round would not chamber. Some guns have tight chambers as well as tight bores.
    I would make up a dummy round with a boolit sized at .358 and make sure it would chamber properly.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Taz!

Stopped by NOE and brought this home

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	142922

I'll be casting up a few to test chamber.

WAIT YOU STOPPED BY, You lucky dog you!!!
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by minmax View Post
    WAIT YOU STOPPED BY, You lucky dog you!!!
    LOL

Not going to lie, I like being able to get my moulds directly from Al, but, my wallet.... Well....

Boolit Bub
    Did about 100 of these tonight. They dropped at .3595" (extremely consistent I might add) and I sized them down to .358"

At .358" it will pass the plunk test in my M&P9 Full Size and Compact from 1.125" which I find acceptable. I found that at about 1.080" and shorter the case was swaging the base down, not that anyone would really seat this deep, but I like to experiment. I think, as noted already... 1.130" is going to be the sweet spot just before you start seating past the driving band.

Can't wait to try these out, they look mean!

I am pretty much limited to Bullseye and BE-86 so I will load some up and report back this weekend.

Looking forward to your results.

Boolit Buddy
    How do you guys warm this up on a hotplate? It doesnt sit flush. Aside from PID issues, I was getting sticking pins. Gonna try with the flat pins and see how that works, the 147 hp pins stick, mainly one cavity.