Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: .327 for deer

Boolit Mold

.327 for deer

Before anyone jumps into a frenzy over this, let me start by saying, this is not a thread asking for advice on the cartridge's use or if this round/gun are good/powerful enough for deer. I am using my Ruger Single Seven 7.5"bbl for deer this fall, am fully confident and capable and require no further opinion on that particular matter.

What I AM trying to say is this. I am on a mission to come up with a load that meets MY criteria for a hunting round. I have chosen mostly 100gr. loadings with the exceptions being a 90gr. Sierra JHC on the low end and a 130gr. Buffalo Bore cast Keith boolit on the high end. I will post all data and results after Thursday when I can hit the range after work. I'll post my loading data as well.

Sierra JHC 90gr.
    Badman Bullets 100gr. LRNFP boolit
    Rainier Ballistics 100gr. CPHP

(Factory loadings)
    Speer GoldDot 100gr. HP
    A.E. 100gr JSP
    Buffalo Bore 130gr. Cast Keith boolit

My first criteria in order of importance is accuracy. A well placed cruddy projectile is always better than a poorly placed uber magnum unicorn bonded ultra polymer-tipped moly coated rhino bullet, every time in my book. That being said, to the most accurate bullet goes the most points, but not all.

The next criteria is energy. I know full well that my cartridge of choice for this endeavor has a multitude of load ranges to choose from. Whichever load comes out on top for accuracy, to be chosen, must also be in the top end for power level. I'm going to go out on a limb and say minimum of 450ft/lbs @ muzzle.

The bullets will then be tested on water jugs or similar media at ranges from 25-100 yds to test for terminal performance. I have specifically chosen not to test the Hornady XTP because of numerous reports of jacket core separation at .327 velocities.

The bullet/boolit with the best combination of these criteria, will accompany me in the field this fall. The final determining factor in this whole endeavor will hopefully come this fall, with "real world results."

Boolit Master
    Not certain why folks would jump into a frenzy over it. Sounds like you know the limitations of what you are trying to accomplish and plan to work well within them. And as you said accuracy counts for alot. ANYWAY.

If it were me I think I would shy away from anything in a HP. Mainly because I would be concerned with penetration (I know you are planning to test, stuff still happens) even on thin skinned game such as a whitetail deer, and then I would be concerned with what happens when/if you hit bone, etc.

I noticed you left out cast bullets so I will skip that part of the discussion. Have you looked at Semi-jacketed soft points? I haven't checked much into the .327 but I know that a couple of companies offer 100grain soft points in loaded ammo, but I have no idea about components. SJSP are actually my favorite non-cast loadings for 38s and 357s. They perform well, and are accurate, so I don't see why they wouldn't in a 327.

Anyway I will be curious to see what you wind up with and how you do.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master
    If it were me, I would look at a good SWC, perhaps something like

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=32+Keith

This was an old GB, maybe one of the other produces has adopted the style.

N.O.E. has something similar,

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=170

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

I've tested the little Sierra 90 grain jhc myself, and I wouldn't recommended it for anything more than coyotes with perfect broadside shots. it's designed for the 32 mag and comes apart at 1200 fps in water jugs.

I wish someone made a good jsp for hunting with the 327, preferably at 120 grains or heavier.

I bought some bullets from kaytod on the single actions forum, a cast fn-gc that runs about 121 grains and will hit hard and penetrate deep. I loaded some with blue dot and got so-so results. I'm thinking 2400, AA9, or H110/W296 will give better results.

I look at the sectional density of the 100 grain offerings and it's similar to a 357 bullet of 125 grains, which is a bit light for deer imo.

I've read where a guy shot his deer with a 327 revolver, but his load was Buffalo Bore 32 mag round. Good luck on your deer hunt, and keep us updated! Oh, also read of a guy who shot a hog with a 327 cast bullet and it knocked the oinker down, but his buddy jumped in to pat him on the back so he couldn't get in a 2nd shot before the little ham got up and trotted off.

Having no experience with this caliber, my advice is tempered from everything else I've read HERE. I suggest that if the 130gr SWC Buffalo Bore gives satisfactory accuracy, stick with it. Making two holes with every shot is always better than one IMO and that 130gr SWC looks like it would "bore" right through a leg bone, etc and just keep going.

Banned

I have used the rcbs 98gr rnfp sized to 313 on deer, in a 7" revolver...... it worked all the way to the dirt.
    keep the nose flat, your shot in the right place, and the velocity up in the 1100 fps area....

Boolit Mold
    I agree with the hollow point comment, but I wanted to test/try as many options as I can. The only HP I have any real hope for is the Speer GoldDot as they are bonded and perform well (as far as other reviews go) at .327 velocities. I haven't delved into casting my own boolits as of yet, but I'm very interested in the process. Maybe for next year. I do have two cast boolit options that I'm trying, in the 100gr. LRNFP (.314") and the 130gr. Keith Buffalo Bore. The American Eagle 100gr. is a jacketed soft point that I'm hopeful for, but thus far hasn't shown spectacular accuracy in my previous range sessions. I will be shooting the accuracy test at 25yds. from sandbags for all of these rounds. I will be taking Chrono readings as well.

the bullet offerings in .312-.314 are limited and most are designed around lower power cartridges like the .32H&R like dougader said, and the biggest reason I chose to negate testing the Hornady XTP. I love the idea of a good, deep penetrating cast boolit, but as I have stated previously, I have not taken the plunge into casting and casting equipment... yet. So as of right now and this deer season, I am limited to production offerings of loaded ammunition and bullet/boolit choices. I would really like to find a 100gr LRNFP with gas check @.313-.314 that could be launched around 1500-1600fps. That may have to wait until I start casting my own.

as an aside, the 90gr. Sierra will be also considered for a carry round in my SP-101's.
    Last edited by 327ballistician; 06-16-2015 at 12:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    I think you'll find the Buffalo Bore 130 SWC to be a standout in the penetration category (advantageous in a less than optimum angle), but I might be leary of a "hard-cast" in this diameter because of fears that it wouldn't upset.
    If you pursue casting your own in the future, a similar bullet weight in a different (more malleable) alloy may be worth taking a close look at. A good RFN or SWC should wring the most out of the 327's potential for field use.
    I look forward to seeing your test results and conclusions.

Boolit Buddy
    327ballistician,

I think Speer still makes a factory 115 grain Gold Dot load. You might want to try that load to have something with which to compare your handloads. I don't have my notes available but remember being impressed with the velocity out of my four inch GP100. Although I don't remember the accuracy, I suspect it would be accurate enough for deer out to 50 yards or so.

Gus Youmans

Boolit Master
    I don't have a lot of insight into this as I'm not a big hunter myself, but I hope you'll document your journey. My inclination would be to load a heavy for weight cast flat nose bullet as fast as W296 would let me and practice my aim! From what I've read, I've seen people push the heavy bullets almost as fast as the light ones in this caliber for whatever reason.

Please let us know what you settle on. Bullet, alloy, powder, chrono readings, etc. A picture of your big prize buck wouldn't hurt this fall either.

I think there are a lot of people who still need convincing of the 327 and I think sharing your results will help ease that stigma a bit.

Boolit Buddy
    You should try my mold
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-135S-D.png

I can't get the photos from my phone on here...

link to a write up I did on it. With pics

http://www.artfulbullet.com/index.ph...7-31-135s.228/

Boolit Master
    Wow that certainly seems like a good option.

Hodgdon's web site shows a max load with a 115 gr. bullet @ 1300 fps. That will only give you 431 Lbs. However, a .45 acp 230 grain @ 850 fps is only 369 lbs. There are not alot of deer that would walk from that. I would think good shot placement would fill your freezer.
    Last edited by stubert; 06-16-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Rim Rock Bullets sells the same boolit Buffalo Bore uses for the 130gn loads.

Go over to the singleactions forum and look at some of the loads that are being used over there. There has been extensive load testing by Hoover. You may be able to get a little more velocity from that 130 keith boolit if you work at it.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is some good info too..

http://www.gunblast.com/Freedom-Harton327.htm

Boolit Buddy
    I was thinking the 327 is close to a .32-20. I wish there was a rifle available for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Youmans View Post
    327ballistician,

I think Speer still makes a factory 115 grain Gold Dot load. You might want to try that load to have something with which to compare your handloads. I don't have my notes available but remember being impressed with the velocity out of my four inch GP100. Although I don't remember the accuracy, I suspect it would be accurate enough for deer out to 50 yards or so.

Gus Youmans
    No, Speer discontinued it in favor of their 100 grain gdhp. I got an email from them (Speer) yesterday saying it is gone... both as components for reloaders and the loaded ammunition. Stupid move IMO.

I have exactly 47 rounds of that ammo left. Grrr.... and it averages 1506 fps from my 4-5/8" Single Seven. That's 579 ft pounds of muzzle energy. The bullet holds together, too.

Why Speer thought they should go with a lighter bullet is beyond me.

ETA: Tom, I really like your bullet. Try pushing that with W296 and see how it goes.

Boolit Mold
    Bushog that article on gunblast was interesting, but wow! They have some powder charges listed that are WAAAAY over published maximums!

These are my numbers with the Todd Corder 120 FNGC boolit:

Cases: Speer 327 FM, once-fired nickel
    Bullet: Corder 120 grain FPGC
    Powder: 8.5 grains Blue Dot
    Primers: CCI 500
    7-shot avg: 1283 fps; ES: 73 fps; ME: 439 ft. lbs.

Not so bad, but not quite as good as I had hoped. I loaded some more with 9.0 grains BD, but my Chrony just stopped working after some 24 years of service (and I never shot it once!).

Don't know how much time you have to play with loads before deer season, but I am in the rerun of Miha's 314640. It is a rnfp and I am getting the gc version. It should drop about 125 as a solid and a smidge over 115 as a hollow point "dressed for the party" as they say. If you want to try some, I can send you a pm when it arrives. Should be soon-ish, the blocks are currently being cut.
    Last edited by Cowboy_Dan; 06-17-2015 at 12:02 AM.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"