Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingMCD ProductsRotoMetals2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Repaired ccw guns and trust.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a Kahr CW-45 and after about 500 rounds the slide stop sheared (with factory loads, all I'll shoot from a carry gun). After that I could never trust it and traded it off for something else. Loved the heck out of the gun prior to that though. Once the trust is lost I'm done when my life is in the balance.

Boolit Buddy

I almost exclusively a Roller guy now, because I hate chasing brass. Because of that I don't practice near enough with a Semi-Auto Pistol, I shoot my revolvers at least monthly & often times weekly. As far as High Primers & Recoil Induced Bullet Pull, I check each round of my carry ammo in the revolver to verify cylinder rotation & I have shot many, many rounds of my carry ammo and have never had bullet pull. BTW, I have been carrying daily since 1978 & have had a couple of dustups with no failures ....
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Yes! with the ammo you intend to carry!
    That's all good and well, but what do you do when your SD ammo is close to a buck a round? I settled for a couple boxes and a ton of reloaded bullets with a similar profile.

Boolit Master
    For me it depends on the firearm.
    Any revolver I get for the purpose first gets a complete disassembly, meticulous cleaning, inspection, proper lubrication and reassembly. If it all looks right, feels right going together, timing and dry fire are all good, then a cylinder full of a standard load on target as expected and I'm ready to bet on it.

An auto loader gets the same but needs to show me it's not sensitive to firing upside down, one handed, all magazines work and the load works the pistol without any issue. That took a couple hundred each for my Hi Power and LCP. So far those are the only auto loaders that have made it into my defensive line up.

If it's a gun I don't understand, it's a range toy. If it's a gun and that has an issue its either a project piece or trade fodder.

I would rather fight using a K Frame I know inside and out than any gun I can't explain how it works no matter how many rounds are in its history.

Thats my take. It makes me a happy and well armed camper.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by quickdraw66 View Post
    That's all good and well, but what do you do when your SD ammo is close to a buck a round? I settled for a couple boxes and a ton of reloaded bullets with a similar profile.
    You spend the buck a round and shoot it.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    You spend the buck a round and shoot it.
    Some people can't afford to shoot $200 worth of ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

You can prove basic reliability and function with good handloads or lower cost ammo then a couple 1-2 boxes of your carry ammo to prove it. I normally replace carry ammo once a year with fresh. I then shoot up last years ammo over several range practice sessions. In this way ammo is kept fresh and some practice is obtained with it. With a little work a handload that duplicates you carry ammo can be assembled for practice use. For my little 380 i use a 100 grn cast bullet ANd have a load that duplicates the rem 102 grn golden saber I carry. This handload duplicates point of impact point of aim ejection and function. Recoil feels very close also. These smaller carry guns ( either semi auto or revolver) are much harder to shoot well and to maintain. Practice is a must.

Boolit Grand Master

Some people can't afford to shoot $200 worth of ammo.
    Then those people only know that a similar round is reliable.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Banned
    Then those people only know that a similar round is reliable.
    Its not their fault they can't afford to waste $200. If a round with a similar profile to the SD ammo works in the gun, the SD ammo should too, and the box or two of SD ammo you put through the gun will verify that.

Boolit Grand Master

Its not their fault they can't afford to waste $200. If a round with a similar profile to the SD ammo works in the gun, the SD ammo should too, and the box or two of SD ammo you put through the gun will verify that.
    Everyone makes choices.

You seem to have convinced yourself, and you aren't going to convince me. Let's agree to disagree.

Banned
    Everyone makes choices.

You seem to have convinced yourself, and you aren't going to convince me. Let's agree to disagree.
    For some people, that's not really a choice.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My personal standard is that any gun and ammo combination should have no more than 1 failure that is not my fault in every 300 rounds fired. I think that is pretty reasonable and all my guns and ammo for carry and hunting meet that standard. I have actually had more jams out of revolvers than autos. Most of them have been due to ammo that was too fat to chamber properly, carbon buildup in chambers, or dirt built up under the extractor; all of which prevented the cylinder from rotating. My trusty S&W 10-5 used to have a mysterious condition where the cylinder stud would not push the latch back all the way, locking up the mechanism. I found some fine burrs of metal inside the frame hole that were not letting the cylinder stud enter the hole. Cleaned them up with a small needle file and its has been flawless since.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

ole 5 hole group makes a good point it really does come down to "peace of mind" Lots of good thoughts on the subject here. It does reinforce that you should practice and make sure your carry gun stays reliable. I think one thing about the smaller carry guns is they typically do not get shot as much or as often. I shoot the smaller carry gun for function I do not dislike it but certainly do not enjoy shooting like a full size revolver or auto.

Ferguson, I had a mod29 that did the exact same thing once. Luckily an easy fix and the only hicup I have ever had from a S&W. FB

Boolit Master
    in the past I would have told you 250 trouble free rounds with the last 50-100 as the carry ammo

now I think it would be a good idea to run the ammo and gun in competition , becuase being on the clock seems to find more malfunctions than just shooting at your pace.

i have seen nearly every major brand of gun hang up sometimes ammo but also other things

Banned
    Failures can involve ammunition, the firearm or both the ammunition & firearm; it's a system.
    Testing with the intended type of carry ammunition is done to verify that particular system (ammunition & firearm). Increasing the number of rounds fired during that test is done to increase the sample size and reduce the odds of an anomaly skewing the test results. No amount of testing will eliminate all doubt in the future functioning of that system but a large enough test sample can increase confidence in the system to a point that the risk of failure becomes an acceptable risk.
    If a particular type of parachute works one time the system is at least known to be capable of functioning. If we perform 10,000 test jumps with that type of parachute and it works every time we can be reasonably confident that the system is reliable. The parachute system might fail on the 10,001st test but the risk of that happening is acceptably low enough.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    For those who think a revolver is the answer to reliability problems, just wait: Until you have a cartridge with a high primer, hang up; until you pocket carry and find a dime stuck between the frame and cylinder; have a bullet jump the crimp on your cartridge case and lock up the gun. Nothing is 100%.
    If one is is pocket carrying any handgun there should be nothing in that pocket but the gun and the holster it is in. That is a recipe for disaster. Something gets in the trigger guard and you pull it out or shift the gun and the gun goes bang, you or someone around you gets hurt.

If one is hand loading for their CCW then they should inspect each and every round more so than their regular range ammo. Doesn't hurt to also check factory ammo for the same thing.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by wantoutofca View Post
    I had a Kahr CW-45 and after about 500 rounds the slide stop sheared (with factory loads, all I'll shoot from a carry gun). After that I could never trust it and traded it off for something else. Loved the heck out of the gun prior to that though. Once the trust is lost I'm done when my life is in the balance.
    Just curious, do you sell your car once you have had a brake job? I shoot enough to be able to regain trust, at minimum 200 rds. I also want to verify reliability with different loads in an auto loader, not as much in a revolver.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Vendor Sponsor

I just felt compelled to reiterate major points from my earlier point about training.

Ya know I just did a Front Sight 2 day Pistol Sill Builder course. I fired a little over 300 rounds total.

I had about 3 malfunctions all FTF's with 3 brands of Factory 230 gr Ball type ammo which my Glock 21SF feeds perfectly. All of these malfunctions were weak primers as they all had good primer strikes. All of these rounds fired the second time they were hit.

However I fixed the gun in less than two seconds on all three occasions... If I was using this ammo for personal defense I probably would look at each round individually however there is no way you could see if a primer is weak.

I don't believe for one second that just because you spend $50 on 20 rounds of super-duper ammo that it is any more likely to go bang or not. Any ammo that is mass produced, and virtually all PD ammo is mass produced, is going to have failures. This simply because there is no such thing as 100%.

There is 99.99 % but not 100%. There are no Absolutes! Period!

So if you are relying on your ammo to protect you from malfunctions you might want to have a look at that fact. Your gun and ammo are a system, and that "system" is not 100% foolproof,,, no matter what you think.

I had a thread recently on the Castboolits Forum entitled the "Importance of Training." This was all about you getting enough training to be able to use that "system" to it's best advantage. It was broken down into several major points.

Safety, Normal Operation of the Firearm, Accuracy with the Firearm, Speed, and finally, Clearing Malfunctions.

How reliable is your gun? It is just about as reliable as you are!

If you are skipping training of Malfunction Clearing because you think you won't ever need them, you are very foolish. Thinking that proving a gun out over X number of rounds somehow guarantees it's performance under stress conditions is also foolish. It might make you feel better but it is no guarantee. Knowing how to run the gun and fix it if it falters is the only guarantee.

Full size Glocks 17,22,21 are arguably the most reliable pistols ever designed. They are not particularly finicky about ammunition or grip on the gun. They are ubiquitous!

They are also the easiest Auto Pistol to learn with, and the easiest to clear when stoppage occurs. The only thing more reliable is a Revolver!

Point being,,, you still need to learn how to run the thing.

This is best done in a Professionally Delivered Class lasting several days where you fire 200-800 rounds, and are coached thru any issues you might have with any of the facets of operating your weapons system.

By the time you are done, you probably will feel confident with just about any ammo you can buy, and you damn sure will know if your choice of gun was correct or not.

With my .45 Glock I see no reason to use PD ammo. The normal .45 ACP 230 gr Ball Ammo has killed more opponents than all the PD ammo ever made, or for that matter, that ever will be made! 4 Major Wars, and uncountable numbers of conflicts over the last 100 years will back me up on this.

So go to a class! Learn how to use your gun, and find out if works or not.

You will probably have fun doing it too!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 06-15-2015 at 12:21 AM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    Having the knowledge and skill to quickly clear a malfunction is important and I agree that training is the key to that skill.
    Building on what Randy said:
    There is no such thing as 100% reliable but we can get awfully close. Factors such as a bad primer are very difficult to predict but they are also very rare.
    Most deadly force encounters involving firearms are over very quickly with just a few rounds fired. While it is important to have the skill to clear a malfunction it is far better to avoid that potential malfunction in the first place.
    If you cannot get 200 rounds of a particular ammunition to function without failure in a particular firearm - something is terribly wrong.

Boolit Buddy
    I think some of you guys worry too much. I'm in the camp that won't spend $200 on carry ammo just to test. I'll run a mag or two of the expensive stuff through the gun, and I'll shoot the snot out of it with other ammo. I believe bullet design is really all that matters BECAUSE most personal defense ammo is loaded hotter than range ammo. It all comes down to whether the bullet will feed into the chamber, or if it will get hung up. If you're that worried, I know that in many cases you can buy the same projectiles that are used in defense ammo, either as pull-downs or sometimes even new. Why not load up 200 rounds that you know are lighter-recoiling with the same bullet? If those work then the heavier recoiling ones should too, right? You'd probably save at least $100, probably a lot more. In fact, whether or not you can buy the projectiles may be what should push you toward or away from a particular brand of carry ammo.

To get back to what the OP was asking, I would say it depends on why the gun was sent to the manufacturer. If it was for feeding problems then this discussion about round count with expensive ammo is relevant. If it's for a part of the gun that has nothing to do with feeding, why does anything except perhaps the amount of recoil matter? I think my level of trust would probably be formulated by what info I could find about other owners of the same gun having my particular problem. If I break an extractor, and I find that others have had theirs break, even the replacements that the factory provides, then I won't ever trust it. If my problem is incredibly rare, I won't have any reason to believe it will happen again once the offending part is replaced. No matter what, I'll be shooting it a lot, because I really enjoy shooting.