MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox

Thread: cleaning bullets.

Boolit Mold

cleaning bullets.

I have done a few batches of bullets , learning as I go , but still get small spots that don't take. Is that possibly finger prints , machine oil , etc?? Is it best to give them a quick bath in alcohol or hot soapy water before PC'ing?? And...... BangerJim is absolutely correct, 15 seconds of violent shaking beats 10 minutes of soft swirling.

Boolit Buddy
    I soak mine in acetone and let them air dry

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Alcohol will do nothing for grease. You gotta use either min spirits, laq thinner or acetone. I prefer laq thinner for degreasing everything except plastic.

Also remember your environment may be causing your poor coatings. Humidity is our big enemy. I have had times when our DP is high (50+) and coatings do not adhear well. So I just switch to one of my ESPC guns.

"shimmy-shimmy-coco-bop" does it!

bangerjim

Boolit Master

I cast and drop onto a folded towel, and then pick up with a metal spoon. I can roll the boolits on the spoon to inspect before dropping into a metal bread loaf pan. I use rubber gloves to load the boolits into the cool whip or glad ware tubs with airsoft BBs (neon green, it's what I had) and have never had a sticking problem. I have the HF and Craftsman style ESPC guns and they both haven't been used in a while. ASBBDT really work for me!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

I just wash my hands before I do any PC work. When I use the foil covered hex nut tray I just use my fingers to place each one. When I use the drywall screw covered tray I use my fingers to place and gently twist each one. I get coverage just fine.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Master
    I've done the ASBBDT and it worked just fine unless the humidity was high but by using the case cleaner and steel bbs seems to work no matter what the humidity is. I done 500 .44 bullets the other evening out while the humidity was 80% and they came out fine. In the end use whatever method works best in your habitat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxn-cbDikRk

Ebner

Boolit Master

I don't even wash my hands.
    Using bare hand drop a 'bunch' (scientific term for correct amount of bullets for a given container) in the ASBBs.
    screw the lid on.
    shake, rattle and roll for 30 seconds if that long.
    pull out with needle nose pliers
    on to NSAF
    works for me here in Houston in our glorious heat and humidity
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Walter - - - - if it works for you in that "wonderful" Houston bad hair climate, it will work for just about anybody anywhere! I've been to Houston many times on business and I use is as a reference for "a sticky humid day" around here! Almost like those hot sticky daze back in Iowa when I was a kid that "makes the corn grow".

banger

OP, swirl harder! I used to get the same spots back when I started...I wasn't swirling hard enough.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736