RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Neolithics supply?

Boolit Buddy

Neolithics supply?

Has anybody on here purchased anything from Neolithics Flint Knapping and Supply House?

They piqued my interest when I was searching for places online to buy flint nodules.

You've got your choice of English, Texas, and White Chert flints with some appealing price breaks when buying in bulk.

http://www.neolithics.com/gun-flints/

Boolit Buddy

I don't recall if I ever did. But I known I've heard of them.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a dozen gun flints from them. Great pricing, fast shipping.

They grind them a bit to put flats on them for the jaws on the cock to get a good purchase. That looks kinda ugly, but works fine. I pay about $3.00 a flint locally, where Neolithics came out at like a buck or 1.50 a flint delivered. Near as I can tell, I get about the same wear from them as the more pricey flints, so I use the ones from Neolithics. I'll probably order up a couple more dozen at some point to stash away for future use. They don't spoil.

Quote Originally Posted by tddeangelo View Post
    They don't spoil.
    Never heard of them. Might give them a try as I have to agree with the above statement.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Buddy
    The only really bummer to buying them online like that is that you can't hand-pick the flints you want. I happen to live a very short ride from Dixon's in PA, so I can go hand-select flints there pretty much whenever I like. Dixon's flints look a lot nicer to the eye than the Neolithic flints, so if that's important, keep it in mind that some of the Neolithic flints won't be beauty queens.

The flip side is I think Dixon gets $3.00 or $3.50 per flint for the 7/8" flints I use. When I get a dozen 7/8" English flints from Neolithic, I think it comes out to $18.00 to my door, or $1.50 each, so I could in theory reject 50% of the Neolithic flints and still break even, but there's no need to reject any of them for range time, for sure, and most are fine to hunt, too. I've run a few through my RE Davis "Colonial" lock and have seen them easily go 40 shots without any attention to them, which is about the same as Dixon's flints give me. Careful knapping can usually coax another 20-30 shots from them before they get iffy on spark, but I'll still use them at the range. That's actually good practice, I think, to see if I'm flinching (when the flints are wearing down to the point that they don't ALWAYS spark...lol).

Boolit Buddy
    Where in Pennsylvania is Dixon's? I'm down in Delaware, but work in the Exton / West Chester area.

Boolit Buddy
    Kempton would be the closest town if you want to hit google maps. It'd be a solid 1hr+ drive north and somewhat west from Exton/West Chester. If it helps justify the trip, Cabela's is about 20-25 min west of Dixon's, so you could "double dip."

It's worth it to see Dixon's if you're into traditional muzzleloaders, though. The best time is coming up in a little over a month when they host the Gunmakers' Fair. There will be tons of stuff to see, tents full of craftsman come to display at the fair, everything from horns, bags, lead/shot, stocks, completed rifles, etc., it'll be there.

Boolit Master

Sounds like a good time I might go the gunmakers fair!!!! Still looking to pull the trigger on my dream gun a flint trade gun

Boolit Buddy
    If you do, shoot me a pm when you are going. I always enjoy meeting folks from various forums there if I can. Parking is a few bucks (2-3 dollars, if I remember right), and if you have a 4wd it's helpful but not needed. Other than that, it can sometimes be stinkin' hot/humid, and thunderstorms aren't unheard of.

But you'll get to check out more flintlocks than you've ever seen in one place at one time, that much I can promise you! You'll see rifles that will just make your jaw drop. I went there when "on the hunt" for a rifle, and came away with a completely different plan in mind than I started with. 4 years later, that plan rested in my hands in the form of a custom flintlock made by a gentleman who was at the fair.