WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New range cleaning box for silhouettes

Boolit Mold

New range cleaning box for silhouettes

I had a older fella make it. I supplied the wood and told him what I wanted and this is what he brought me the next day. He charged me $25.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Nice job there should work real well for you. Im getting readt to make a new one up here shortly. My original was a cheap Habor frieght tool box I made the eds up fixed and bolted to ends of tool box. Works okay but no places for cleaning rods and the fixed craddle dosnt fit in the trunk of my car. The new one will have removeable uprights ( think stake pockets on a pick up) and a place for 2 rods also.

Boolit Grand Master

Keep a towel folded under the action to catch drips and spills so solvents dont stain the wood.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Very nice! Looks like it will work out great. I have something similar on my "list" to get done for when I shoot rifle. The fellow did a nice job on it and I'm sure it will serve you for many years.

A couple of years ago, I was looking for something that would work to carry my supplies for my C & B revolvers and rifles when I went shooting. One day I was in an antique store and ran across two small oak drawers that had come out of an old treadle sewing machine cabinet. I snatched them up - they cost a whopping $3.00 each. I I removed the drawer pull knob and cut a 1" leather strip long enough to be attached end to end for a handle. They are just the right size for my flask, tins of caps, grease tin, short starter, ball bag, etc.

For rifles, I want something that will cradle the rifle like yours. Enjoy!

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	140924

I also made made some bench stix from hickory. They turned out pretty good and work great. I wish I new how to rotate the pictures.

Boolit Mold

Views:	388 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	140997

Boolit Mold

Views:	355 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	140999

Boolit Master
    Nice box, but where is the handle? Don't ya need a handle? Maybe you use a guitar strap for a sling on it?

Here is a box I made out of a sugar maple that blew down. It is both a range and a line box. It carries 90 rounds of .45 ammo my cleaning gear, sights, settings, earprotection and timers.

Boolit Grand Master

BrentD, Im getting ready to make a new cleaning line box, Would you be offended or upset if I incorporate some of your Ideas into mine? I really like what you did with yours.

Boolit Master
    No problem. I really like mine. I made a few not so great ones before I got one that I really like.

BTW, the hinge is just a short piece of dowling in either end. Very simple but it has to be installed when the box is glued up.

Boolit Grand Master

Thank-You BrentD. I noticed that and figured it was a dowel hinge since metal hinges didnt show in pictures. I made my first with a harbor frieght tool box and ends for cleaning cradle bolted on sides. Im thinking there are some Wild Cherry boards we cut some years ago in the barn. May run a couple into town and have them planed to start. If memorie serves they are still rough sawn. There may be some mullberry there also. This had very interesting grain since the tree was actually 4 that had grown together over many years. Im thinking thru now on what I want and what it is I want to accomplish with it.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a fun project. Good luck with it!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    Nice box, but where is the handle? Don't ya need a handle? Maybe you use a guitar strap for a sling on it?
    I'm in the process of making a handle. It'll be similar to your handle.

Boolit Master
    make the grip hole large. but be careful that it is not too large or it may crack through the hole, depending on grain structure. you might also notice the handle piece is morticed into the sides for extra strength

Banned

very very nice! i made mine out of a pine board i got for free at a house construction site ...

Banned

the bench styx was an easy build ...

Boolit Master
    I like the wooden doweling in that range box. Nice and strong. Those boxes take a beating. I like your shooting bench too. Looks nice and sturdy with plenty of room.

Here is a folding cart that I made for my rifles and gear it holds a wooden box that I didn't get in the photo. It holds all the misc gear needed for an entire day of long range shooting. Inside that is another wooden box that holds all my ammo. We use these boxes at Lodi, WI when moving between firing lines. Everyone has their own wagon or cart and it's a pretty interesting picture of 30+ old guys and their wagons wheeling off through the grass to the next firing line. Sort of like a herd of ancient half broken buffalo on the move.

Banned

excellent cart, i really like the dovetailed joints, too. was gonna dovetail but took the faster easy way out with screws and dowels.

Boolit Grand Master

That's one of the better designed carts I have seen. I may have to copy it if you don't mind.

Boolit Master
    Copy away. If you build a box to fit on it, be sure to size it so that it will all fit under your truck's tonneau cover while sitting on the cart or into whatever vehicle you use.

The vertical part is held up by some simple draw latches.

Also watch your balance points. It is easy to make it with the wheels just a little too far forward and then the rifles will flip the cart with the box removed.