MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First range report: New Vaquero

Boolit Master

First range report: New Vaquero

I was unexpectedly gifted a 3-3/4" .45 Colt New Vaquero. Today I got to give it a quick spin.. First, I gave it a once over, and other than being bone dry, and the front sight listing a bit to the right, saw nothing out of the ordinary. The trigger was well into the "not good" range, but Rugers are pretty much free and easy to fix, so no worries.

I pushed a clean patch down the bore, and noticed it looked very smooth, a good start. A quickie measurement of the cylinder throats showed .452"+. Awesome! After the last older Ruger in .45 Colt I dealt with with .455"+ throats, that was a nice surprise. I tweaked the legs of the trigger return spring, and dry fired a few hundred times with thumb pressure on the hammer. This accelerates the break in process, and at least got me to a shootable trigger pull. Guesstimate is 4 pounds, but way too long. It will eventually get a real trigger job, and set to 2 pounds or so.

First cartridges were a 240 gr. HP 50/50 Pb-WW boolit from an Erik Ohlen converted mold, over 9.3 grains of Herco, a load Lloyd Smale has had great success with. I just shot at 20 yds. and I am well out of tune, but the first group was in the 1.5" wide X 2.5" tall range, a foot low, and left. I was actually happy with the low part, as it meant I could take off front sight to get elevation. The front sight came canted right, so drifting it back towards center should help with windage.

2nd go round was a 270 gr. WFN I had cut years ago, hoping the added boolit weight would help with elevation, which it did, but minimally. Group size was very similar, but still left, in line with group 1. At this point, I clamped it in a vice, and tweaked the front sight straight, and loaded 6 more rounds, this time with a 260 gr. 454190, over 9.5 grains of Herco. Point of impact shifted to the right, but not enough, and group size was maybe 2" round, most likely due to me warming up.

All in all, one of my more favorable first Ruger impressions. The bore is spotless, even where they normally have a choke point. A little trigger and sight tweaking, and this one may turn out ok.

Perm-Banned
    long colts are fun. i have a ruger old army with a taylor conversion cylinder and man did i have fun with it to day. loaded a bunch and shot a bunch, very accurate.

Boolit Master

If you were able to fix every thing on the first trip you wouldn't have anything to do next time. Tweaking is the thing.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Sounds like you may have a winner there keep us posted on your results.

Vendor Sponsor

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but see if you can push the boolits through the throats from the front..
    Last edited by DougGuy; 05-16-2015 at 10:52 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    If you were able to fix every thing on the first trip you wouldn't have anything to do next time. Tweaking is the thing.
    Thats the best part of having it gifted to me, you don't mind spending a little on upgrades.. The grip frame has to go, and that will cost me a bit. The front sight will also get replaced by a screw on unit, which will give me a fatter blade to take up some of the gappiness, and allow me to correct the windage issue at the same time. Should be less than $20 for the sight shipped, plus a little mill time.

Once the trigger is tuned, and the other issues addressed, I can see this being a useful and fun gun. A short, fixed sight .45 Colt would be a handy woods bumming/camping gun for sure.

Looking at the cylinder size, it looks very similar to my S&W .45 Colts. I don't think I will feel uncomfortable running some warmer loads through this one. The frame is plenty beefy. I may try some hotter loads today and see how it does.

DougGuy, I will try to get a better handle on dimensions today, but it looks really good so far.

Boolit Master
    Just tried 6 454190"s seated to 1.650" over 10.5 grains pf Power Pistol. This should be in the 20,000 Psi range. Primers look fine, and cases extract and rechamber easily, and I'm still getting a little soot on them, so I feel confident in upping the powder charge a bit.

When I tweaked the front sight, I could feel the solder bond breaking loose, but the sight was still firmly held. I knew if I pushed my luck with any more tweaking, it probably wouldn't end well, so of course that is what i did.. Yep, felt plenty loose, and a few light bumps with the hammer handle, and it fell off. I have heard of more than one that spontaneously exited these guns, so I wasn't surprised. I cleaned the slot well, and tapped it back in with a drop or two of super glue. On the plus side, it looks like if Ruger had installed it straight to begin with, it would have been perfectly zeroed..

The sight was due for replacement anyways, and it was tight from the factory, so I can't complain. Maybe some hotter loads later today.

Vendor Sponsor

Keep in mind that you have a MEDIUM framed gun, -IF- it has a THREE digit prefix in the serial number, it IS NOT SAFE with the full house Ruger Only loads!

Medium framed New Vaquero are safe to .45 ACP +P pressures of 23,000psi, they SHOULD NOT be subjected to the 30,000psi loadings one finds listed as "Ruger Only"

If yours has a TWO DIGIT prefix, it is the large framed Vaquero and is good to go with full house loads.

That being said, the three fastest, and cheapest ways to accurize a Ruger SA, are sizing the cylinder throats accordingly, clean up and recut the forcing cone to 11° and pull one leg of the trigger return spring off the pin or simply swap in a Wolff 30oz. spring. There will be creep in the trigger still but it is light and very manageable. I do not remove this creep as it lessens the amount of hammer/sear engagement. I learn to live with it. My Vaquero creeps, then stops, then the next small bit of effort against the trigger fires it. It's just like a double-set trigger, a wonderful thing in the woods, it's perfect just like it is.

This is all the tweaking it takes to get the Ruger to shoot well. If it doesn't have any thread choke. The rest of the deal is in the shooter's hands and at the loading bench. You do your part with these two, the Ruger will respond in like kind..
    Last edited by DougGuy; 05-17-2015 at 10:54 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Well aware of what I have, and am loading accordingly. The caution is warrented for those who may not be aware of the differences though. My top loads haven't even managed to seal the cases to the chambers, so I don't feel I am in too much danger yet

I do not like the one leg off trick as it is not the cleanest way to achieve the goal of reduced trigger return power. Replacing, or simply re-bending it is preferable to me. I can often feel the loose leg dragging on the mainspring when it is just left flopping. Reducing the sear contact safely is easy, and free. A 2 pound, totally creep free trigger is easily attainable with all factory parts in a Ruger single action. If my $200 Tokarev can have no creep, my Rugers sure won't either

Groo here
    If you contact Freedom arms , they have a front sight that is for roundtops.

Cut the correct dovetail and your ready to go.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groo View Post
    Groo here
    If you contact Freedom arms , they have a front sight that is for roundtops.

Cut the correct dovetail and your ready to go.
    Thanks for the tip. I have a Ruger front I picked up tonight to set on the bbl, and do some measuring from.

11 grains of Power Pistol with the 240 gr. 50/50 WW-Pb boolits shot around 4" at 50 yds. Nothing spectacular, but I am in an awful state of tune, and wasn't trying particularly hard. It still shoots a little left, and low. This load should be over 1,000 fps., and the bore still looks spotless. All 6 cases ejected and re chambered fine, and in fact still clack back and forth when the gun is shaken. Still idling as far as pressure is concerned in other words.

Boolit Master
    I set the replacement front sight on the barrel, and it looks good as far as fitment. It is a little high, which is good, but surprisingly the width is perfect. I tried knocking the front sight off to set it where it needs to go, and I can't get the darn thing off. That super glue is some good stuff!

Boolit Master
    Fooled a bit more after work today. First off my 50 yd. target guesstimate looked quite a bit short to me, and it was, it was 40 yds.. I looked at the last group from yesterday, the 11 grs. Power Pistol and the soft 240 cast HP, and it didn't look too bad. It measures 2.8 high X 1.5" wide, I'm sure my rusty inconsistent grip is to fault. Tried another group with the same load, this time got 2.2" and round. I also tried some 318 gr. GC boolits with 21 grs. of H-110. 3 shots and # 4 tied up the cylinder, (boolit pull). I finally got all fired, and while it raised the point of impact dramatically, the group was right around 4". I tried the soft HP's with 19 grs. of 2400, and they shot worst of all, maybe a 5" group. I figured they would be a little fast for the soft, 9 Bhn boolits, and the group agreed.

All cases ejected easily, and slid right back in, I'm confident this smaller framed gun is just fine with 25,000 Psi loads.

All in all, I'm not displeased. The sights still stink, as does the trigger, but it looks like it might shoot just fine with a bit more tinkering.

Groo here
    My Mondago shoots well off hand but will not group from a rest .
    Try it with a standing rest , camera tripod etc.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groo View Post
    Groo here
    My Mondago shoots well off hand but will not group from a rest .
    Try it with a standing rest , camera tripod etc.
    My rest is the top of my car from the standing position. Not the steadiest, but not bad. I am woefully out of tune, I'm just trying to nail down a few promising loads before I fiddle with the sights too much.

Boolit Master
    I don't know if not many are interested in the smaller Vaquero, or if I just irritate people in general, (Known fact), but I'll continue my mostly one man circus..

Last night I knocked off the front sight again, and used the high tech method of cellophane tape to secure a front sight from a 10-1/2" Ruger SBH to the barrel. I expected the front sight to be too wide, but it fits the rear groove perfectly. What a difference in sight picture.

The front sight is a good bit too tall, (A good thing), and it put me at the very bottom of my substantial target paper and backer board. I backed the car up a bit more, maybe 45 yds., and fired 3 rounds. None on paper. Hmmm. I stepped up to 25 yds. and fired the last 3 off hand. 1-5/8" right at the bottom of the paper. I then looked and saw the first 3 right at the bottom of the board in a stacked, 3/4" group. WELL! Off to the house to load more ammo. First group was with the 240 gr. HP's, so I switched to the 270 WFN's hoping to get it higher on the paper. 3 rounds at 45 yds. nothing. Not even on the backer. Back to 25 yds. 3 off hand, bottom of paper, in .910". The load was 9.5 grains of Herco for both.

The front sight makes an amazing difference. I think this gun may really shoot I hope I can get it screwed on where it needs to be. Ruger almost lost a customer years ago, but this one is making me pretty darn happy.

Boolit Master
    We used electrical tape to hold the ejector housing on my 500L. Worked for many shots.
    I'm enjoying your trials. You're doing a good job making this sixgun perform to what YOU want.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frank505 View Post
    We used electrical tape to hold the ejector housing on my 500L. Worked for many shots.
    I'm enjoying your trials. You're doing a good job making this sixgun perform to what YOU want.
    Thank you, I'm having fun with my new peashooter. Recoil on this one is a bit less than a .500 Linebaugh The only issue with the tape is I had to go around the ejector rod, and can't use it for now. Luckily the brass just shakes free, so no big deal for testing.

Tolerances and cylinder throats seem right on with this gun, and honestly that isn't something I came to expect from Ruger .45's. I probably got lucky, but it sure is making me look at other models more seriously. The sight will get changed, hopefully the grip frame, and the trigger tuned, and I should have a great little gun.

Banned

I stuck a Ruger ramp sight on mine with Steel Bed. I broke the original out too when my gunsmith friend said to tweak it. Don't work, silver solder will break loose.
    To get epoxy or super glue loose, apply a little heat. Just heat the blade and it will come right out.
    I heard the new Vaquero is MUCH stronger then a Colt ever was but it is sane to keep pressures lower then in the old ones. I have the old one that will take any load.

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    I don't know if not many are interested in the smaller Vaquero, or if I just irritate people in general, (Known fact), but I'll continue my mostly one man circus..
    We're interested. Keep going.