Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Weight Rifle

Boolit Bub

Light Weight Rifle

Looking for lightweight rifle larger than 243 up to 27O caliber. Any thoughts or opinions on this topic?

At this point I'm most interested in 270 in 22" barrel.

Thanks.

Boolit Master

That fits the bill for something from just about every manufacturer. How much you looking to spend? Do you want opinions or experience? Really need more info.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Bub
    Looking at gun Budget of $900. Looking for opinions and or experience. I favor Browning, Remington and Weatherby, but open to other suggestions.

Boolit Grand Master
    Depends on what you are planning on using it for, and what you are planning to shoot through it. Whitetails and jacketed, it is pretty hard to beat a .25-06.

Paper targets about anything can be made to work.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Featherweight profile barrels have never worked for me. Shave weight off the stock or action, but not the barrel. If you are climbing hills, shaving weight off your gut is the best option.

Boolit Man
    May not be quite what your looking for but i have to say i'm very impressed with my savage Axis in .308. Very lightweight and handy to carry..has been 100% reliable and is VERY accurate for such an inexpensive gun. The pencil barrel does string shots after 5 or so back to back shots on a target but is dead nutz for the first 3 or so. Total for the rifle and 3x9 Minox scope was about 550.00. Can't barely beat it for the cost.

Boolit Master
    I hear you loud and clear! Any time I lift over 15 lbs I pay for it with severe pain so I travel lite. Factory lite weights are a savage 200 in 7-08 with the plastic stock(yes you can bend the fore end but it shoots 1 inch moa so who cares), I did have a early browning lever in 358 and that was too lite, any of the economy H&R's. I have a few military rifles that I reworked and got the weight with scope to 7 lbs or so. If I was looking for a real lite gun I would try find one of those Melvin Forbes models(I think he produced 30-06 in a 5 and1/2 lb model).
    Look twice, shoot once.

Tika Lite

Had one in 300WM, great shooter, arm breaker.
    Wont have that problem with a 270 or smaller
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    I have multiple rifles in most calibers and have hunted with most of the calibers. The last few years, I have a 722 action with either a mountain rifle or model 7, short light 260 Remington barrel on and I stocked it myself. The rifle is short, light, accurate, and low recoil, and very few deer have walked away that I shot at in the years since I built it. Running, standing, next zip code, it doesn't seem to matter. In over 60 years of hunting, this is my favorite. I have made some shots with a 270, but you have more recoil with it. A Remington Mountain Rifle or a Model 7, in .260, and use the 120, or 129 grain 6.5 bullets and you will never be sorry.

Remington M SEVEN KS's are 5-3/4 lbs probably going to be more than $900. A SS M SEVEN with a different stock would be a very nice light weight durable rifle and in the $900 range ($600/650 for rifle + stock). The factory stock that these came with are not too bad, injection molded with a rough texture. Another option look for a used Kimber 84 Montana they will be around $900. I found a M 84 Mont in 243 at the LGS for $675 ish 4 years ago. These are a scaled down Win M-70 Pre 64 type action; stainless steel, claw extractor, 3 position safety and very light in the lower 5 lb range depending on caliber with 243s being the heaviest.
    Remington M SEVEN FS is very similar to the KS they were production guns and did not come out of the Custom Shop and are less money but difficult to find, they only made these for a few years. They will have the leaf camo stock with a squared pistol grip on the stock the KS's will have a round pistol grip.

The top rifle in my Avatar is a SS M SEVEN with and HS Precision stock 6-1/8 lbs with scope, the lower two are KS's.

Boolit Buddy

I will 2nd the Savage Axis, mine is a Stainless/Synthetic Axis II in .223. The Savage site shows the weights at 7 lbs for all calibers in the Axis II. Mine is extremely light in hand and will outshoot the Tuned Howa 1500 .223 that I had previously. MOA for at least the 1st 3-5 like was stated previously. FWIW, I'm going to stalk Bambi with mine due an old shoulder injury. Working up loads now with the Barnes 50 & 53 Grain TSX bullets, so far the 53 is winning .....
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

I have a Ruger Ultra Light MKll in 308. 20" barrel. Walnut stock . Weighs 6lb's . Has a 3X9 Bausch & Lomb scope and a Timney trigger. Like new. $875.00 . I just don't need it.

Boolit Master

I really like the Model Sevens.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Tikka t3 in 260 or 6.5x55. Fantastic trigger, very light andshoots very tight groups. My 308 tikka is lighter and kicks less than my 308 encore. Buddy of mine loves his too
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Another vote for the T3 Tikka. Very accurate and great quality for a low cost rifle

Boolit Master
    What about a winchester model 70 in .270?

Banned
    i have a ruger #1 in 270. i never checked the weight, probably 8lbs or so. i had a bunch of featherweight guns, i sold them all, but one i have is a remington model 7 in 7mm-08.

Boolit Master
    Here is a Savage I like, the Lightweight Hunter. 5 1/2 pounds and available in several cartridges that fit your criteria.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11LH

Barrel is only 20" long but not hard to swap out.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

I'm thinking Savage Axis. I've heard good things about them. Low price and accurate. Come in a vast selection of calibers:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/axis

22-250 REM
    223 REM
    243 WIN
    25-06 REM
    270 WIN

7MM-08 REM
    308 WIN
    30-06 SPFLD

You could buy a really nice scope with all the money you saved on the rifle.

Just a thought....
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.