Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Winchester model 88 in 243cal.

Boolit Buddy

Winchester model 88 in 243cal.

I have this gun listed locally for the next week, so I'm not listing it here (yet). According to the SN this gun was manufactured in 1957 or 58 and is in rather good shape for as old as it is. The bluing is strong and the stock has only minor dings and not very many. Only the bottom of the mag shows handling wear, so it's been carried a lot more than it's been fired. The caveat is it has a Williams peep on it. All the calls I've had go good until I mention the peep and people lose interest when the realize the stock has been notched for the peep sight. What would be a fair price for this rifle? I was told it should bring between $800- 1000 if not cut. I understand it's practically impossible to find an original stock, so this a shooter rather than a collector piece. Is $750 too much? How about $700? Anybody have any opinions? I'll post pics later.
    223tenx
    Pete in WV

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1965.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	139181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1966.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	139182Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1967.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	139183Bluing is hardly worn in the cocking mechanism.
    223tenx
    Pete in WV

In Remembrance

Collectors are a strange lot for anything being done to a firearm other that as from the factory. Shooters on the other hand can appreciate that someone added the peep to aid his firing the rifle without having the added weight/cumbersomeness of a scope. The age is a factor in the value as it is way before Winchester redesigned it and then dropped it. I would suggest a firm $700 - $800 dealing block. About the only chance for a new stock is from a stock maker that would tackle that job. Very nice looking rifle.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Those are fine rifles and very nice handling a family member has one in 308 and its a good shooter but being light and sucj recoil gets stiff. The mag well was a weak spot in the stock, along with not that many rifles made makes finding one hard. Great looking rifle though

Boolit Master

If I just had to have a shooter-grade Model 88 in .243, I'd think $700 for a pre-64 sample would be a good deal. Of course, I grew up looking at the later versions with the goofy stamped basket weave "checkering" on them.
    Collectors have their own standards, even without the sight cut, the honest stock dings and handling wear "ruined" the rifle for them. Now, if you could just get it authenticated that it belonged to Jesse James...

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    I've bought/sold a couple dozen Model 88's over the years,but only a couple of 243s..that said. for your pre-64 in that condition,my gunBroker listing would have a start price of $700 and no reserve, hoping to find a buyer with an extra pre-64 in 308 with all original stock and needing a good 243 to complete the set.(or upgrade one). Good Luck.. Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Buddy
    Jesse James, hmmm.
    I'm selling it for my bil. He had a stroke and ask me to sell off his guns to pay bills. I would love to have this rifle but I just can't afford it. Thanks for the info, guys.
    223tenx
    Pete in WV

In Remembrance

Another avenue to explore is to have a gun shop sell it on consignment for you with your making what you wish out of it quite plain.Robert

Boolit Master
    Got a Cabelas close by?
    Or check out their on-line gun library . (See the link) for its 243 example. Under the circumstances. I want you to get the best possible re-sale price. No guessing. No on-line Brokered selling sites.. Just a base price to consider when selling.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Winch...ester+model+88