Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith 57-1 in 41 Mag....and suggestions for boolits?

Boolit Buddy

Smith 57-1 in 41 Mag....and suggestions for boolits?

Clean slate here, haven't bought a mold or anything, and I have a couple hundred commercially made cast for it (225 RNFP's, I think), so there's no real hurry.

Suggested molds? I am mostly thinking range time, but would like to hunt with it occasionally. I have a couple hundred Nosler "Sporting Handgun" bullets (210's), so I have some "j-words" for it, too.

Lyman 410459 or the H&G258. Classics that still work for most any need.

Boolit Buddy
    rkrcpa, whereabouts in PA? I'm near Cabela's.

Boolit Master

Unfortunately, the Lyman 410459 is discontinued and the H&G 258 is difficult to obtain. NOE Bullet Moulds should have a nifty 224 SWC, the equivalent of the two, available for sale sometime in May. Details here: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....pic,626.0.html After the Group Buy, they should have some extras for sale on the website.

Boolit Master

The Lee 195gr is a good paper puncher with RedDot I use a 220gr Lyman for hunting
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

I've had great results with the MP 412-200HP. Haven't shot any in solid form yet, but the HP's shoot real well.. I also have the RCBS 210gr mold. I did cast some up, but I've not loaded any yet. Try 6.8 of RedDot.
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tddeangelo View Post
    rkrcpa, whereabouts in PA? I'm near Cabela's.
    I'm a little south of you in Chester County. I'll be up at Cabela's tomorrow, need a bit of fresh air and it's supposed to be nice tomorrow. Good day to blow the dust off the bike.

Boolit Bub
    +1 for the NOE 224 gr SWC mold. You might be able to get in on it still if you hurry.

Boolit Master
    I've owned several 41 moulds over the years but the one that always gets the call when I go hunting is a 230 gr. Keith slug made from a Saeco mould. I've taken lots of game with it, everything from small game up through Javelina, whitetail & mule deer elk & antelope, it works everytime & always exits, even on elk. My load for 45 years has been 17 grs. of 2400 with that bullet. A buddy used it on his bull moose, one shot as the bull faced us at about 65 yds. It didn't exit on the moose as it was a straight on shot.

Dick

Banned
    I have the old Lyman or RCBS (to lazy to go look) 2 cav 210gr. Used it in m M57 for every thing. Shot good.

Lyman 41032 with 7-8 grains Unique, nice target,plinking,small game. 410459 with 10 grains of Unique for larger game. Both very accurate in my M-57.

Banned

cant recall off hand without going out and looking but the lyman swc that is gas checked and goes around 225 and the lbt 250 lfngc are two bullets that shoot great in every 41 ive tried them in

I have a LBT mould cut for my M57 that drops at 250 plain based. It is pleasant to shoot over 6 grain of Unique and quite accurate. The same bullet over a suitable dose of 2400 is, to me, preferable to the .44 Mag of which I have 2. This gun and load is my go to pocket rifle.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Have used the 210 grain RCBS with success, a month or so ago, a kind shooter here sold me a 6 hole 210 grain Lee tumble lube SWC. Works great and shoots great. Lee discontinued the 6 banger but the double is still available. I searched for the large mold for years, worth the hunt, IMO.

Boolit Master
    Mountian mold will make you anything almost-if you want a .410459 MM can make you one--Accurate Molds have lots of choices too - a 225-230 Keith or LWN
    will work on most any thing in the lower US -- if more is needed a 255 will rock--while i have taken deer with heavier -290+ these more normal weights work just fine--a 255LWN @ 1320 shot from the back of the ribs to the front of the opposite shoulder and exited a 280# boar at around 30 yards - there are many good loads using Unique, Herco, 800x, 2400, AA#9, H110/296-- so have at it and have fun

Boolit Master

If you can find any of the discontinued Lee 41 full wad cutters they make wonderful plinking rounds for the 41. I've shot well over a thousand over a 20 year period in my 57 and 58. Loaded with 4 or 5 grs of Bullseye the cluster real well out to 15-20 yrds.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Used my 6 1/2 inch bbl model 57 to shoot my first IHMSA matches. The rear sight elevation screw was lacking a few threads to make good adjustments for the 500 meter rams.
    I had to laugh one match as my spotter advised me to look at my sight, at first I became somewhat annoyed, then I looked to see the rear sight about 1/2 inch above the rear slot as the screw had let go.
    I was most likely shooting well over the berm and was the reason my spotter could not see any rounds hitting close by. Ha!! Ha!!
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

For fun the H&G #255 175gr wadcutter is fun. For action pistol games the Lyman 410426 240gr RN speedloads well. The Lyman 410459 is a good all around bullet also.

Groo here
    SNS casting has a 215gr swc coated boolit in 41.
    I have shot about 500 so far with very good results. [ 6gr Trailboss for a Police load]
    PS. Watch the nose length of any cast boolit, there are many designed for the Ruger Blackhawk that are too long for an S&W [ I found out the hard way]
    We shot the SNS boolit/load above in 5 different 41's.
    The "worst" group at 7yds was 1/2 dollar size, most were quarter size.
    AND no leading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use the LEE 210 TL & 195 gr with Reddot in my S&W 58 for my plinking loads.

Dad's friend has an old LEE mold that drops a puck type WC (really short like a Lyman 358101)