RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for large Mosin bore

Boolit Mold

Suggestions for large Mosin bore

So, surplus 7.62x54R has started to become slim and the prices have started going up and I've decided it's time I start casting for my 91/30. I slugged the bore yesterday to find that it comes in at .316 which is a bit on the large side, but not too unusual for a Mosin. I'm a poor college student, so I'm kind of stuck with Lee moulds and sizers for the time being and I'm not sure what to do about that bore size. My only option at the moment seems to be to try and size a Lee .324 or .329 cast boolit down to .317/.318 (I know there's someone who makes Lee style sizers in custom sizes at a reasonable price, anyone have a name or link?). I'm unsure what the effect on the lube grooves would be from sizing a boolit down that far would be. Would I have any lube grooves left? Would sizing a boolit down that far even work without distorting it?

Boolit Master

You can cast the Lee .303 mold, and paper patch to .317 without any issues.
    Might just do the trick.

Arrow

"I know there's someone who makes Lee style sizers in custom sizes at a reasonable price, anyone have a name or link?"

Buckshot is the guy I used and heartily recommend him. Send him a PM with your dimensions.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    You can cast the Lee .303 mold, and paper patch to .317 without any issues.
    Might just do the trick.
    I had just days ago reseached paper patching for a BSA Martini and I hadn't thought of applying the same to the Mosin. I'll have to think on that.

Maven, thank you, that's the name I was looking for.

Another thought - drill out a lee to .316 and powder coat.

If it was me I'd save my pennies and go to NOE as they have .316 molds.
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...sort=2a&page=3
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

anhurset, You're most welcome! Also, paper patching may be the best low cost option + there's a long and very detailed 2 part article about it by Ed Wosika in "The Fouling Shot" #'s233 & 234.

Boolit Master
    anhurset,

Before you go to expensive lengths to accommodate an over large Mosin barrel, why not consider go look for a smaller bore diameter Mosin and live with usually and customary barrels?

In my college days, I often went to a "Tighter Fit."

Adam

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    anhurset,

Before you go to expensive lengths to accommodate an over large Mosin barrel, why not consider go look for a smaller bore diameter Mosin and live with usually and customary barrels?

In my college days, I often went to a "Tighter Fit."

Adam
    Mainly because it's a choice between a $20 Lee mould plus some extra time to shoot a rifle I have, or hunting down another Mosin, which in my area are running on average $200.
    If I paper patch I can use the Lee .312 155 gr mould I have. I'm still interested in how far a boolit can be sized , however, as I need to get an 8mm mould for my Yugo and Hakim and if a .324 can be sized to .317/.318 then I would be able to use a heavier boolit in the Mosin without patching it.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, they're really helpful.

Boolit Master

Welcome aboard, I'd also.recommend buckshot as mentioned above, top notch work. And inalsonuse a 312 mold and powder coat to get around .315 for one of my nagants. I can also see the logic in going the Noe custom route pay once cry once. If you don't powder coat you could also try tiny slivers of aluminum tape on the corners of a 312 mold going bigger and smaller until you hit your sweet spot. Just wait to mike them I've found that boolits are hot from the mold! Where are you locat dnif ya don't mind me asking that nagants are over $200?

Boolit Master
    Make sure the neck of your chamber can fit that large of a bullet and still have clearance to release the bullet when fired.

You can lap out the mold you have to make it that large.

Buy a .314 sizer and open it up yourself. A couple pieces of sandpaper and a long Phillips screwdriver are all you need.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Welcome aboard, I'd also.recommend buckshot as mentioned above, top notch work. And inalsonuse a 312 mold and powder coat to get around .315 for one of my nagants. I can also see the logic in going the Noe custom route pay once cry once. If you don't powder coat you could also try tiny slivers of aluminum tape on the corners of a 312 mold going bigger and smaller until you hit your sweet spot. Just wait to mike them I've found that boolits are hot from the mold! Where are you locat dnif ya don't mind me asking that nagants are over $200?
    I've been looking into the powder coating thing, it's what drew me to this forum a few months back. I haven't tried my hand at it yet, I'm waiting until I can find a cheap toaster oven at one of the local Goodwills, I might just have to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

I'm in the Middle Tennessee area. I'm sure there are some cheaper Mosins around here somewhere, but my local gun shops are running $175-250 on run of the mill 91/30s. That is when they have them, most of the time they don't. I paid $99 for my Mosin and 100 rounds of ammo around 6 years ago, so those prices were a bit of a shock to me too. It seems to have everything to do with the Russian embargo, the shops see that there is now a finite supply and the prices go up. It's happening to all Russian pieces, I paid $250 for a matching (minus the stock) Russian SKS five years ago, non matching Russians are running $400+ now.

KLR, I hadn't thought of opening up a sizer myself. Wow, I'm discovering that there's a lot of things I didn't think of, thanks again everyone!

If you try sizing 8mm down to .317 you going to want more than one sizer die in the process, if you don't powder coat first you need to fill the lube grooves before sizing down - and I usually don't take them down more than a couple of thou at a time. research GEW88 .318 mauser rifle's same exact thing you need.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

As a poor college student I suggest you study more, get better grades and get a job letting you buy a slightly higher dollar mould that will work. $80 bucks is not much more.

I hate that reason.

Boolit Master

I've been in the ops spot, collage, new house new baby two part time jobs. $80 meant the difference between dinner and Ramon noodles. Ya make do make your own or do without. I get it, I didn't live on no one else's dime, didn't borrow or live on cards. He's probly probably the same way.

Boolit Bub
    I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you try "beagling" a mold that is undersize.
    When I started loading for my mosin, I beagled a lee .309 to throw a bullet of .315
    I loaded them with "the load" and have yet to find anything as accurate.

I have to agree about beagling, but both of my Mosin's slug at .312 so beagling the .312-185 gc to throw at .314 was no great trick.

The good news is that it was simple both to do, and later to undo so I could use the mold for more than one caliber.

Sizers are also possible to get in say .314 and polish them bigger.

As for going bigger, I think it would depend on what sizers you can find or adjust.
    1.5-2 thousandths is not hard but start trying to push 5 and you have a job. So several smaller steps much easier if you can arrange it.
    And gas checks if your going to shoot over 1400 fps.

A great thing about paper patching is that you patch to fit an unsized neck and that's it. No case sizing and indefinite case life. Plus some pretty high velocities can be achieved. Fairly decent velocities are achievable with rather soft lead which would be cheaper and uses less powder which makes them quite economical.

Another great thing about paper patching is that it's fun. It adds a whole nuther dimension to shooting and reloading. BUT IT'S HIGHLY ADDICTIVE!

On how much sizing can be done, I sized a 357 boolit down to 312. I don't remember whether that is in one stage or two. I made the die/dies which would have had gradual stages. The result wasn't too bad either. I never shot one though.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 04-15-2015 at 02:11 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the tips everyone, I now have multiple ways to go and several things to think on.
    For the time being I think I'll be looking a bit more into paper patching, it would allow me to use the Lee .312 mould I have now. I decided to go ahead and slug the rest of my rifles last night and I found that my Mk4 No1 Longbranch slugged at .315. Two guns with similar sized bores gives me a bit more justification to purchase a pricier mould when funds allow.
    Again, thanks to everyone.

anhurset, you might look up Doughty Enterprises in the vendor sponsor section. Richard has made a number of sizing dies for me. HIs work is excellent and he his fast. Brodie

Boolit Buddy
    My 91/30 slugged to .314 but the neck chamber wants .312 any bigger and you feel the boolit squeezing down. I size to .314 Measure a fired case inside neck. This should give you an idea how big a boolit will fit. Powder charge start low and work up.