WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 30 M1 Carbine OAL

Boolit Man

30 M1 Carbine OAL

Hi Folks,

What OAL are you using with the Lee 113 and 120 grain boolits in an M1 Carbine?

Thanks!
    Glenn

Boolit Buddy
    Glenn,

Given that the as cast or sized diameter can be different, I would just seat them until you get 100% (not 95%, not 99%) of full chambering and bolt lock up. The M1 Carbine is a pretty hot round for its size and although it should not fire out of battery, I would not test the waters. If it fits the mag, and chambers with a taper crimp, you should be good to go. Start with a test case and no primer or powder and be sure it chambers with hand pressure, not stripping the round from the mag pressure. If it does not, seat deeper. You may find a size like 0.309 might be better than 0.310. This would apply to all cast bullets for the M1 Carbine.

Dave

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    Glenn: FWIW My Lee C309-113-Fs get seated to 1.570 or close but like WineMan said , there are a lot of variables involved here so don't take that as scripture. And mine do feed a little better sized .309 and powder coated. The M1 30 Carbine is pretty new to me but I'm having such a good time with the 30, I ordered one in 9mm. GP

Boolit Buddy
    I learned the hard way. I had a bag of a brand of Moly coated lead 112 grain swaged bullets. I seated them to fit the mag and merrily trotted to the range. The bolt would barely make it past the lower edge. I did not have any way to seat them deeper at the range, so a day got wasted.

Dave

Boolit Master
    My OAL with the LEE 120 was 1.610"

Boolit Man
    Thank you for the replies. It gives me a ballpark range to start! I appreciate the help!

Glenn