Inline FabricationMCD ProductsMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading

Thread: 7 Rem with cast!

Boolit Grand Master

7 Rem with cast!

Know that a lot of folks are of the opinion that big fat mag cases and cast boolits don't go together. That said, have been working with cast in my 7MM Rem.Mag with cast, in a 700 Remington, and getting good results. 22.5 gr. of 2400/w a minimum of dac fill under 287641 shoots pretty durn good for me. Only 50 yd testing so far, but the majority of 5 shot groups will stay under an inch. One group of 5 did .7 something. Little recoil, not overly loud, easy on the wallet. Need to try the 130 soup can with it next.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    Gonna have to "borrow" some of em and see what the groups from my savage look like, or maybe we'd be better off if you borrowed the savage! I will look and see if I can find the targets to toss up here for Ya!

Worked on any other powders besides 2400?
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

I know what you mean; I started messing with my Rem 700 in 300 Wby five years ago or so, it really surprised me. 25 years ago I would have never dreamed of shooting cast in it.

Boolit Master
    I haven't tried cast my my R700 yet. Been working up a load with SST. What mold are you casting from. Currently don't own a 7mm mold. In some of my older manuals there are quite a few cast loads for 7mmRmag listed with modest velocity

Boolit Master
    Been shooting my 7mm Rem Mag with the Lee 130 GC bullet and 15.0 grains Unique powder...offers good accuracy and is a lot of fun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    Know that a lot of folks are of the opinion that big fat mag cases and cast boolits don't go together. That said, have been working with cast in my 7MM Rem.Mag with cast, in a 700 Remington, and getting good results. 22.5 gr. of 2400/w a minimum of dac fill under 287641 shoots pretty durn good for me. Only 50 yd testing so far, but the majority of 5 shot groups will stay under an inch. One group of 5 did .7 something. Little recoil, not overly loud, easy on the wallet. Need to try the 130 soup can with it next.
    1Shirt!

I am starting down this road as well. I found 7mag load data in Lyman Cast Bullet Manual #3 and i am going to try the Lee 7mm soup can with Reddot powder.

Boolit Master
    Although I hunt deer with a muzzleloader and a 130 gr PRB these days, my terminal ballistics tests of the Lee 7mm 130 gr RNGC boolit indicated that at an MV of 1950 fps, it would be a serious deer getter out to about 150 yards. It certainly does a number on coyotes out to 300 yards (the limit of my 4x scope and my eyes).

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the write up. I have a contractor neighbor that wants me to teach him how to cast and how to load those cast in exchange for all the lead he gets off of jobs(mostly roof vents after hail storms), and his rifle is a 7mm Mag that had me going "Hmm, wonder how well this is going to work". Hail season is here and I have everything lined up except a mold.

In Remembrance

Another mould to ponder about using in the 7 Rem. Mag. is the RCBS .284 - 145 Gr. Sil.Robert

Boolit Master
    I tried it and mistakenly loaded up too many---horrible results. the RCBS 168 SP-GC is excellent. I also like the Lee C285-130-R. At long range the RCBS 168 is more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Another mould to ponder about using in the 7 Rem. Mag. is the RCBS .284 - 145 Gr. Sil.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    I have that mould it casts pretty boolits just need a 7mm Rem Mag to shoot it in

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I been tinkering with a 264 WM , it shot 1.5" 50 yd groups right off with a patched up 260-120 fp from NOE at 1600 fps with 10 gr of Unique. ........makes me a little woosie to think about the LCBH max of 26 gr.......that's almost a max load in a 1 1/4 12ga.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .