Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Picking-Up RF Jacket Brass: Ignore everything that's not .22 LR???

Question Picking-Up RF Jacket Brass: Ignore everything that's not .22 LR???

Well it looks like people are loving the nicer weather here & are starting to shoot a bunch! With my new swaging hobby (addiction?) of making jackets out of .22LR cases, I'm down on my knees picking up all I can find to save for a rainy day...LOL

I'm coming across more & more rimfire cases that are not .22LR. Lots of .17 cal stuff that looks like bottle necked .22lr or .22mag. A lot of the new super-duper .17 Win something or other that just came out. Plenty of the ol' .22 Mag stuff around too. I know some folks make .243 jackets out of the .22 mags, but does anyone mess with these other rimfires? Should I be picking them up & saving for those that may want 'em? Perhaps trade for some regular .22RF? Or just don't waste my time & leave 'em lay?

PICK EM ALL UP WHEN YA CAN!!! We could probably work out a trade if need be. PM me. Don

Boolit Master

They all can be used for something, The 17 win super rimfire mag has a lot of potential for jackets in the .257, .264, .277 .284 range. Very few people are making bullets from them now, but that may change if the material remains available.

22 mag make good .243 bullets around 105-109 grains. Also can be used to make heavy .224 diameter, if you trim them, more reasonable weights like 69-75 grain can be made. I have heard of someone stretching them up to .257.

17 HMR, with trimming can make lighter bullets from .224-.257. My very limited experimentation with them is that you have to cut the neck and shoulder off before running a punch inside to prevent the neck from splitting.

Some guys are looking hard for .22 shorts to make light .224 bullets.

It is also possible to make .204 and smaller diameter bullets from rim fire brass.

It all depends on what you want to do, and who will trade with you. Most people will not pay enough for rimfire brass to make it worth picking up.

IF you sweep it up you can sell it at scrap value, almost easier to take it to the scrap yard and not deal with the post office, and the expense of packing tape.
    Last edited by clodhopper; 04-01-2015 at 10:57 AM.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    Pick them all up. You may not use them but other can. I use 17HMR to make up to 100gr 6mm open tip or 107gr lead tipped. I also make .277 100gr bullets for my 270REN. I use 22mags for 107gr 6mm as well as a 126gr 6.5mm and have even made some 7mm from them. I have not tried the new 17WSM for anything as I have not seen any empties of those but would like to do some experimenting with them for 6.5mm & 7mm. Of course I use he 22LR for making 52-55gr 22cal bullets.

Bret

Vendor Sponsor

Yep! Pick them all up! 22mag and 17HMR work great for 6mm bullets.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/