Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Ruger sr-45 bullet size

Boolit Buddy

Ruger sr-45 bullet size

Anyone her shooting cast in their Ruger SR-45? I loaded a few dummy rounds to check for feeding in my gun with bullets sized .452". I found the feeding to be good but the rounds stuck slightly in the chamber.I could pull them out with just my fingers.I am thinking when firing live ammo they would be too tight.Any one have any thoughts on this?

Love Life
    Was the chamber tight or was the actual bullet sticking in the barrel and rifling?

Boolit Buddy
    I couldn't see any markings on the bullets.The cartridge didn't stick until I pushed it into the chamber with my finger.I might be over reacting.This is the first auto pistol I will be using cast bullets in.I am just checking all the variables before loading a bunch of ammo that won't function properly.

Boolit Master
    May check the taper crimp. Look for .470-.472 right at the edge of the brass.

Love Life
    Chamber a dummy rd by racking the slide. When trying to eject the dummy round, feel for resistance.

If no rifling marks or a distinct ring around the circumference of the ogive or where the bullet transitions to full diameter, then measure you loaded rd outside diameter at the case mouth and just below the case mouth to ensure they are within spec. You don't want to "Jam" your bullets into the rifling or jam them into a rather abrupt throat.

Boolit Buddy
    I fed my three dummy rounds from the clip with the slide.No problems.when I first tried a dummy without a crimp it stuck hard.I tried both a light and heavy taper crimp.Even the light one worked well.I guess maybe I'm good after all.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    May check the taper crimp. Look for .470-.472 right at the edge of the brass.
    I bet Rob is the winner. Especially with mixed, untrimmed brass, good luck on all loaded rounds getting the bell completely removed. Taper crimping is by far the best, and done as a separate operation from seating. Good luck, I bet your Ruger is a fine boolit shooter.

Vendor Sponsor

At the very worst it might only need a throating job.. A lot of the modern (last 15-20yrs) 1911 barrels don't have a long enough throat, the rifling comes right up close to the chamber mouth, or the throat they do have is .451" and won't let a .452" boolit chamber properly.

I can't remember if this is a Ruger SR barrel or a Springfield Range Officer, but it's typical of a lot of current production 1911 barrels. Pics are before and after throating. You can see on the left there really isn't enough throat to even chamber a normally loaded .452" seated to COA specified in the reloading data, the right hand pic is of the same barrel after throating but before polishing. Makes a world of difference in not only being able to "plunk" the loads, but throated barrels shoot great to boot.

Last edited by DougGuy; 03-30-2015 at 09:18 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Yea i shoot LSWC 200g and 230 LRNL
    out of mine all the time

Check your necks of your cases like other guys have said

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1427694398579.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	135465
    I made this sweet holster for mine and realised I can't use it for USPSA if your interested in it shoot me a PM

Boolit Grand Master

If you are sure you are not getting into the rifling then there is one
    very likely fix.

Taper crimp, taper crimp, taper crimp. As a separate operation, make
    neck mouth about .466 or .467. Disregard worries about the
    mythical "over crimping".
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.