WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 1911 VS Glock

Boolit Master
    OK, so I am one of the 1911 guys. Started shooting them cause my dad still had his, which his dad bought after WWI. Stock form (ok so the flat mainspring was replaced with arched and rear sight was replaced with the wider notch, in 1930's).

Firing std ball ammo it NEVER malfunctioned. Only when I loaded it with SWC's did I find I had to be careful about bullet selection.

Later I had a custom tuned 1911 that shot way better than I did (best group was less than 1" at 25yds). But, if it got dirty it would start to stovepipe (several hundred rounds worth of dirty).

So, today, my wife has a REALLY nice light commander that is a joy to shoot, and likes ball ammot too.

When I wanted another pistol I tried them all. I tried to like the Glock. It just doesn't feel right in my hand. The M&P was another interesting one. It seemed to fit the hand OK, but, when I shot it, it didn't feel right. I could not pinpoint what it was either. Wierd. And I fired three different ones. I ended up with a Springfield XD, full size. That one I like a lot. Fits me. No, it is not for concealed carry so it has the big magazine and longer barrel.

So, between the 1911 and Glock, I choose the 1911. Wife chooses it too, but, she insists on a Colt as well. Yes, she can be a snob

Dan Wesson offers their Duty Treat aka Hard Hat aka Melonite aka Tenifer aka Ferritic Nitrocarburizing finish on most of their models. They are all series 70 guns and come with all the features a 1911 should.

The 2 on the left are all steel pistols while the one on the right has an anodized aluminum frame.
    Last edited by 1911KY; 03-31-2015 at 11:42 AM. Reason: correction
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Boolit Master
    Petrol & Powder:
    The OP asked for an opinion and I provided mine.

If you prefer Glocks that is your right, note that I am not stepping on that right as it wouldn't be polite.

My Opinion is mine and was not an attempt to change anyone's mind nor is this post an attempt to do so.

I have equally strong opinions on the AR platform, the dollar value of M1 Garands, and most double action auto pistols in general.

and Glock's still suck!

Boolit Grand Master

Reloading misadventures will typically destroy the mag and possibly
    grips cracked with a 1911, but with a Glock the frame is usually toast
    so the gun is done. I have witness multiple examples and the worst
    damage to a 1911 was the chamber area of a high dollar aftermarket
    barrel left the immediate area. A new barrel fixed that. All other
    examples required a new mag and clean shorts for the shooter and
    good to go, sometimes needing new grips.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Reloading misadventures will typically destroy the mag and possibly
    grips cracked with a 1911, but with a Glock the frame is usually toast
    so the gun is done. I have witness multiple examples and the worst
    damage to a 1911 was the chamber area of a high dollar aftermarket
    barrel left the immediate area. A new barrel fixed that. All other
    examples required a new mag and clean shorts for the shooter and
    good to go, sometimes needing new grips.
    My experience was that it seemed that the grips act as a pressure release valve. I was trying out a new bullet and load, so I didn't have any other rounds in the mag. It looked a lot worse that it actually was though. I thought I had destroyed the gun, especially since my hand didn't feel that great afterwards. As I took inventory of the parts and looked them over, it became apparent that all I needed to do was reassemble everything and it would be as good as new. To say the least, I was surprised. Then I proceeded to try to figure out what had gone wrong and I eventually came to the conclusion that I had left the wrong powder in that particular powder measure. I normally keep Longshot in that powder measure, but somewhere along the way I had changed it to Promo for some testing on a 9mm and had forgotten about it since it had been a couple of weeks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    My experience was that it seemed that the grips act as a pressure release valve. I was trying out a new bullet and load, so I didn't have any other rounds in the mag. It looked a lot worse that it actually was though. I thought I had destroyed the gun, especially since my hand didn't feel that great afterwards. As I took inventory of the parts and looked them over, it became apparent that all I needed to do was reassemble everything and it would be as good as new. To say the least, I was surprised. Then I proceeded to try to figure out what had gone wrong and I eventually came to the conclusion that I had left the wrong powder in that particular powder measure. I normally keep Longshot in that powder measure, but somewhere along the way I had changed it to Promo for some testing on a 9mm and had forgotten about it since it had been a couple of weeks.
    I usually put the powder back in the can if I'm not going to use it again for a day or so. I use a LEE powder measure, so it's not exactly air tight and I'm a little paranoid about the powder becoming weaker if it's exposed to the air (typically humid in these parts) for too long. I guess it also helps prevent a mistake like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Petrol & Powder:
    The OP asked for an opinion and I provided mine.

If you prefer Glocks that is your right, note that I am not stepping on that right as it wouldn't be polite.

My Opinion is mine and was not an attempt to change anyone's mind nor is this post an attempt to do so.

I have equally strong opinions on the AR platform, the dollar value of M1 Garands, and most double action auto pistols in general.

and Glock's still suck!
    I acknowledged your right to express your opinion at the very beginning of my retort:
    "Glock's suck, period !" - OK, you're entitled to your opinion, don't buy one, problem solved.

I then went on to challenge your use of statistics as evidence that the Glock is dangerously flawed. I stand by that challenge.

I'll admit that I got a little sarcastic with the comments about you clinging to Victorian era technology. That was meant in jest and I was not being serious. I apologize for those remarks.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
    I usually put the powder back in the can if I'm not going to use it again for a day or so. I use a LEE powder measure, so it's not exactly air tight and I'm a little paranoid about the powder becoming weaker if it's exposed to the air (typically humid in these parts) for too long. I guess it also helps prevent a mistake like this.
    Well, when I last used the powder, I didn't think it would be a couple of weeks before I was going to be back, but it just kind of ended up that way. I keep the powder that I'm using near the powder measure. Longshot was underneath the measure, but Promo was above it. Apparently, I had put Promo in it, but did not move Longshot back over to the other side of the room where I keep my other powders. I guess I figured that I was going to be putting Longshot back in it later in the day, but I had to go away to do something else and never got around to it. Combine that with not being back there for another couple of weeks and you have the recipe for a definite "oops".

Ummm that case looks remarkably like the one I have on my reloading bench as a reminder of my stupidity. Mine only let go at the webbing. As mentioned before the top three rounds in my mag cooked off with the bullets ending up loose in the case, my grip panels were split and I had a very black strong hand and less black on the weak hand. 10+ gr of 231 will do that to you. The event blew the mag out of the gun. The gun of course is no worse for wear other than the grip panels.

If it can happen to me it can happen to anybody. We learn from our mistakes. As my father-in-law used to say to me "anyone can get lost in the bush, it just takes a damn fool to stay lost."

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Not off topic, I hope, but I always keep a stack of blank mailing labels on the loading bench.

When I put powder in the measure a new label covers the old one and powder type and charge weight a written on it in ink.

This helps when I forget what and who and is just one more safety practise I've found very helpful.

Boolit Master
    I've both. With the 1911 I shot a lot of NRA bullseye years ago, fit my hand like it belonged there.

Used the 23 in some defense courses, never hiccuped once.

I'd use either for anything God intended to be dealt with by a pistol round.

They're both great.

Boolit Mold
    I have one Model 1911A1 that I tinker with, and shoot in IDPA competition sometimes, and use as a general fun range toy. I have four Glocks in various calibres and configurations from .380ACP to .45ACP, which I also shoot in IDPA, but also carry as actual tools for self defense.

Boolit Buddy
    its been forever since I last posted on here but I figure this would be a perfect way to get back in

1911 v glock an all too common question in todays society when you have many older individuals who grew up with steel guns and people like me growing up with the "tactical" age. So of course there will always be clash on this topic. So what do I choose?

Which ever you shoot the best. if you feel comfy behind either one that's the one you should choose. no point investing in a system because one person says one thing and another person says another.

Now with that said, for me personally it depends on the situation. If the example is: living in a free state: Ill tend to go over to glock over 1911. Reason capacity. I would much rather have capacity on my side. IN addition to that with capacity you can find many sweet deals on glocks main one being very cheap (less than $350) police trade in glock 22. I own one. (first glock in fact) works great. Instead of changing my grip from 1911 I put a beaver tail on my glock and works great for me. Next situation: I live in a non free that = magazine capacity is 10 rounds max. For me I always felt it pointless having a double stack mags limited to 10 rounds. To me lots of wasted space. In this case ill tend to go 1911 over glock main point being the ability to find magazines. Sure you can find 10 rounders online for glock for many models but they do sell out quickly as well.

As I said which ever one you feel the best behind is the better one.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have something like 23 different types of powder on my bench. When I put one in the measure the can stays next to the measure. As soon as I'm done charging cases the powder goes back in the can. Not only does this prevent charging cases with unknown powders, it protects the measure from the nitro content in the powder.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Generous Donator
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glockv19111.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	135379

Boolit Grand Master

LOL! JMB is on the side of God, no doubt.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Everyone should have a Gen3 G22.

Do you know the word "Stovepipe" was invented by a 1911 Shooter?

Nowdays Glock shooters don't even know the meaning of that word.

Quote Originally Posted by clownbear69 View Post
    its been forever since I last posted on here but I figure this would be a perfect way to get back in

1911 v glock an all too common question in todays society when you have many older individuals who grew up with steel guns and people like me growing up with the "tactical" age. So of course there will always be clash on this topic. So what do I choose?

Which ever you shoot the best. if you feel comfy behind either one that's the one you should choose. no point investing in a system because one person says one thing and another person says another.

Now with that said, for me personally it depends on the situation. If the example is: living in a free state: Ill tend to go over to glock over 1911. Reason capacity. I would much rather have capacity on my side. IN addition to that with capacity you can find many sweet deals on glocks main one being very cheap (less than $350) police trade in glock 22. I own one. (first glock in fact) works great. Instead of changing my grip from 1911 I put a beaver tail on my glock and works great for me. Next situation: I live in a non free that = magazine capacity is 10 rounds max. For me I always felt it pointless having a double stack mags limited to 10 rounds. To me lots of wasted space. In this case ill tend to go 1911 over glock main point being the ability to find magazines. Sure you can find 10 rounders online for glock for many models but they do sell out quickly as well.

As I said which ever one you feel the best behind is the better one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Not off topic, I hope, but I always keep a stack of blank mailing labels on the loading bench.

When I put powder in the measure a new label covers the old one and powder type and charge weight a written on it in ink.

This helps when I forget what and who and is just one more safety practise I've found very helpful.
    I use a little piece of blue masking tape, and write my label in sharpie. For some reason, it seemed to bug my dad when I'd visit him and I'd label the powder measure with the powder inside there when we reloaded.

I was just thinking about my reply here, and labeled the powder measure on my press. Then as I was wondering how I forgot, I remembered that I rotated things around, and that the label was on the far side now.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    Everyone should have a Gen3 G22.

Do you know the word "Stovepipe" was invented by a 1911 Shooter?

Nowdays Glock shooters don't even know the meaning of that word.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1427747531396.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	135506

Boolit Grand Master
    garym, you musta not talked to the Glock 23 shooter I was conversing with at Omaha's Guns Unlimited about his Glock 23 this past Saturday. Brand new.

His complaint? Stovepipes!!! First time out on a public indoor range. That Glock shooter knew darn well what a stovepipe was, firsthand. The bell tolls for plastic, too. We went down the list of usual causes....ironically, what causes them in a 1911 usually causes them in a Glock. Don't get too complacent or your plastic will bite you, too!