Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: 357 Maximum.

Boolit Master

357 Maximum.

I am coming into a really nice complete TC in 357 Max. 14" with the flash hider attached making it a16 & 1/8". I' m trading an old model Savage 22 over 410 for it. I know that that is a really good deal, but I guess I have to be honest about it. This gun belonged to my older brother, he died 10 years ago. My youngest brother and I got all his guns. This is one he got. He just called me last night and wanted to get something he could buy ammo for without spending a lot of money. He does not reload. 410 shells are not cheap but he can find them in most stores that sell ammo. I will probably be selling the action as I have two of my own.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations. I have a 21" T/C carbine in the 357 max and it is a favorite "walking around" rifle (or mountain biking rifle) with enough authority to make it a light bear rifle with the right boolits. I hadn't thought about it but does that flash hider really make that 14" barrel legal to put a carbine stock on it? I have a 14" barrel in another caliber that I find too cumbersome to enjoy as a handgun.

Boolit Master
    Yes it does as long as it is attached permently, like welded on.
    Welding has to be done very carefully though so as not heat up the barrel to much.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=45-70 Chevroner;3191359]Yes it does as long as it is attached permently, like welded on.you can use silver solder and be legal per ATF

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Congratulations. I have a 21" T/C carbine in the 357 max and it is a favorite "walking around" rifle (or mountain biking rifle) with enough authority to make it a light bear rifle with the right boolits. I hadn't thought about it but does that flash hider really make that 14" barrel legal to put a carbine stock on it? I have a 14" barrel in another caliber that I find too cumbersome to enjoy as a handgun.
    Well as long as it is a light bear...

Someone was on the boards recently, looking for ways of making .357 Maximum cases, and I don't believe there is any really good way of doing it for full power loads. It isn't like the main ammunition makers have also marketed firearms for this cartridge, and might take a modest loss on the stuff to avoid having aggrieved customers. I wouldn't be surprised to see it made in irregular runs in the future. It might be a good idea to hunt around for someone with stock before doing the trade.

Boolit Master
    The 357max is an awesome caliber when loaded with 175gr to 200gr cast boolits. As many people have mentioned, go to Mike Bellm's web site to learn more of the max's capabilities. www.bellmtc.com. This is Mike's favorite caliber, so he's done a lot with it. Down side is availability of brass. Every once in a while Remington will make a run of brass, But I 'm hoping that if enough people contact Starline about Max brass , they would think about producing it. When you see some, jump on it fast. The Max got a bad rap when it first came out, but as I understand it, it was being reloaded with the wrong components than what was recommended by people wanting to get more velocity out of it. It doesn't need anymore. 1500 fps to 1900 fps is pretty good with that size caliber and boolit weight from a handgun. Probably more from a rifle. According to Mike Bellm, he compares it with the 308 win, I believe, in down range energy.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    Well as long as it is a light bear...

Someone was on the boards recently, looking for ways of making .357 Maximum cases, and I don't believe there is any really good way of doing it for full power loads. It isn't like the main ammunition makers have also marketed firearms for this cartridge, and might take a modest loss on the stuff to avoid having aggrieved customers. I wouldn't be surprised to see it made in irregular runs in the future. It might be a good idea to hunt around for someone with stock before doing the trade.
    I already have a 150 loaded rounds and my brother has another 100 some loaded and some emptys.
    As it turns out I only have 90 loaded rounds.
    Last edited by 45-70 Chevroner; 04-02-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=wgr;3191964]
    Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    Yes it does as long as it is attached permently, like welded on.
    You can use silver solder and be legal per ATF
    Yes that will work also.

Boolit Master
    The 357max is a great caliber and I have a 15 inch g2 Contender and a H&R handi rifle in 357max.

I shoot jacketed and cast boolits out of the 357max with very good results on targets and deer.

Keep watch for brass as its hard to come by now.I hear Remington will be making another run of it sometime

Remington makes a run every year - just like 30-40 Krag, 35 Remington and some others that still have a loyal following.

And Mike has a good article about using 357 magnum cases with select projectiles
    http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=658
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I have some extra brass or another barrel caliber if your intetested?

Boolit Master
    They have had 2 runs of .357 Max @ Zanders recently. Should I keep mechioning (sp) this...? Sold out again.... They have had loaded ammo also..

Boolit Master
    mentioning

Banned