RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sticker Shock!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Since you asked. Maybe quotes like this had something to do with it.

A free float handguard is all that is required to turn a very large percentage of AR's into sub MOA guns. A trigger job or trigger upgrade allow the user to shoot it better.

If you are happy with a stock AR great but stating anyone else that upgrades their AR's are stupid cazy bigots is just digging your hole deeper.
    Sorry for the butt hurt, hope you get over it.

I never called anyone except for Cajun Shooter a bigot. And if you read my whole post, or even posted my whole post instead of cherry picking it, you should have gotten the jest that I am glad you go what you do. I have a different opinion than you. You are just going to have to get over that. Maybe learn you don't need my acceptance to do or enjoy what you do.

Never called anyone stupid. I just don't think its smart to put money into an AR. If I want to fly, I don't start with a truck and then trick it out to a plane. I would start with something with wings. Can you make an AR shoot itty bitty groups at 1000 meters? Damn right you can! Just ask my buddy, he will talk to you for hours and show you receipts on the $1000s of dollars he has spent on his ARs. I can talk for hours about black powder rifles and old shotguns. We bore each other unless its about 22lr rifles! LOL

And who did I call crazy? We all might be singlely focused on our own pet subjects, but not to the point of insanity. You completely misquoted me and then tried to get justification for your butt hurt. Sad.

Jerry
    Last edited by Lefty Red; 03-17-2015 at 06:40 AM.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Grand Master

Not butt hurt in the least. Just don't like misinformation. No need for me to misquote anything. You stated very clearly what you think about upgrading AR's from the original design and the people that upgrade them. Your words stand on their own. Just a boat load of personal bias and misinformation.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-17-2015 at 06:43 PM.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Your Postings show that you are not as gun savvy as you think you are.
    As far as your name calling, it shows me a hint of your people skills which are not near the center at all. I think that they have a saying about arguing with a fool, they will win and bring you down to their level.
    Your use of the word bigot was completely uncalled for and I will refrain from engaging with you on any level. It seems that you may be the one with the as you called it butt hurt.
    It amazes me that the person who comes out with the name calling can never see the truth of the matter, it's them who have no people skills so they revert to calling names to make up for the lack of them. Take care David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    I do not like the AR 10- AR 15, reasons, in my opinion,too high priced,second,( or possibly first) UGLY, 3rd the unfortunate AR part of the name, seems very few people realize it is Armalite Rifle, and persist in calling it an assault rifle.
    I do not have one, did have to qualify with one while working for TDCJ, still did not like it.
    To each his own.
    Really wish Stoner had chosen another name for his company.
    drinks, NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, CCRKBA, GOA, JPFO, CBA, Def-Con.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    Your Postings show that you are not as gun savvy as you think you are.
    As far as your name calling, it shows me a hint of your people skills which are not near the center at all. I think that they have a saying about arguing with a fool, they will win and bring you down to their level.
    Your use of the word bigot was completely uncalled for and I will refrain from engaging with you on any level. It seems that you may be the one with the as you called it butt hurt.
    It amazes me that the person who comes out with the name calling can never see the truth of the matter, it's them who have no people skills so they revert to calling names to make up for the lack of them. Take care David
    Yet you posted?

Boolit Master

Anyways, let's get back on track and gripe about single shot prices!

I have to say that the CVA Scout V2 is nice! Prices around $300-$350 for stainless is not bad. The 44 mag, 300BO, and 45/70 I messed with all had great triggers. It seemed like the LOP was a bit shorter, but a small Limbsaver fits it perfect and extends the LOP to a tad over 14.5". The 45/70 is coming home with me in a couple of months when he gets another shipment in.

I traded for a couple of the V1 Scout slug guns in 20 gauge. They are ugly as sin, black furniture and matte black finish but everyone that held them and shot them likes them. They have a medium weight barrel, inbetween a Tracker and Ultra Slugger, and don't kick that much with 2.75" slugs. They group cheap Sluggers from Remington decent at 50 yards with a cheap reddot I threw on it to try it out.

20 Ultra Sluggers are out there, just have to look. OTD prices are around $300. I found one with a great trigger. Truefully, if I knew the store had a lightly used Savage 220F in LH I wouldn't have gotten it. Oh well, I just signed up for more overtime.

Handi Rifles were scarce. I found a Talo 44 mag, but with a SB1 frame in KY. They wanted $300 used! And it was used! They had two SL Handis in 243 and 22 Hornet as well. $350. I passed. Waiting on the Scout V2 is get here.

No older 048 or 058 Toppers sighted since the last time.

Jerry

Boolit Master
    The 03 Springfield, M1 Garand and M-14 all have a National Match spec and the guns that have been upgraded have NM stamped on them, the M16 has no National Match spec as it out shoots the other guns. The bolts locking lugs being all around the small bolt face along with no bedding make it more accurate.

Boolit Master
    Of course they are partly right, and you should have said it doesn't offer any real advantage for any thing but self-defence. I should think that after the first shot or two, all the other coyotes would run away and hide.

As for talking as if you were hand in glove with the enemies of gun ownership, I think those will find more useful examples in the people in US gun shows and the internet who talk in detail and sometimes enthusiastically about shooting people. There are, of course, situations in life - nowhere near in every lifetime - in which that may become necessary, and different crime statistics don't eliminate the possibility of its happening anywhere. But I don't know any other country where you hear people talking that way.

As a military rifle the M16 was excellent, and excellent for a particular situation. You are right about its role in airfield and missile defence. But it would be hard to better in the role more or less accidentally forced upon it: producing a large infantry army quickly, in an age of short-term conscription, when "no discharge in the war" was politically impossible. It had some of the best sights to be fitted as standard on any medium-range military rifle, and points far more naturally than any other rifle of its era. For me the Kalashnikov points like a shoebox of rocks, and in bad light I would prefer and AR or my nineteenth century Winchesters. But if we were convinced by what sponsored experts of the highest caliber could achieve in conditions quite unlike everyday life, we would all be driving Formula 1 cars.

For a rifle so easy to make very accurate, people seem to spend a most amazing amount of money making it do so. The economic advantages of the AR family in business are clear enough. Most work you can have done on conventional rifles costs at least as much, and depends at least as much for the result, on the individual craftsmanship as on what is installed. A family of weapons for which products can be advertised, the press squared, bought at great cost and fitted is pure nirvana in the world of business.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 03-22-2015 at 08:00 AM.

Boolit Master

Once again, I am glad someone likes a platform that I don't. It does get bothersome/tiresome of the AR to cram "facts" at a person that doesn't agree with their view. Especially on a thread that has NOTHING to do with ARs.

As for not having National Match ARs, well it seems that the last M4 issued to me DID NOT have the National Match 20" heavy barrel. Maybe they are the new issue? And a quick Google search showed about 5 NM ARs from Colt and Rock River and others. And that was on the front page.

And yes, the coyote is usually gone after the first shot. Second shots are rare, but that doesn't stop some hunters to empty their rifle no matter what the platform. I strive for a humane one shot one kill for any animal.

Will I edit to state that the AR doesn't offer any advantage except in self defense? Nope. My 12 gauge still comes first for defense. The AR is there for offensive needs. My handgun for when I have to get to either.

And for the bolt action rifle having to have a gunsmith to tune it to the AR equal of out the self items, I would say we will have to agree to disagree. A plain receiver for $250, a Douglas barrel for $400, and a McMillian stock for $450 is $1100. Send to a gunsmith and have him put it together and bed the stock for $400? So we are at $1500, sans optics. There isn't an AR that can hang with it, no matter what upper you use, with a long range cold bore shot! If it could, sniper teams would be using the AR as the platform not a Remington 700. The M4 is used as a support weapon, not a main sniper rifle.

I guess I shouldn't be feeding the fanboys, but I just can't look away from the train wreck. If you think your AR is the Swiss Army knife of weapons, then good for you. If you think you need to drop big $$$$ in your AR and want to use it in as a hunting rifle where you only need one or two shots for game, then make yourself happy. Hope you don't need my permission, cause I think its the stupidest thing ever. When I butcher a deer, I use four different knives. A butcher, skinner, and boning knives could get me through. I would hate to limit myself to a just a paring knife on such a wonderful harvest of meat.

Jerry

The price of single shots is getting bad with local used ones going for new+ prices since last year. With the current prices I'm not buying.

$2500 is not a lot of money in the gun market. That don't mean you can't get an accurate $100 gun or put together a cheap ar that will shoot. There are too many variables to lump all of one type of gun in the dumpster. I like all weapons but will only own what I want.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    There isn't an AR that can hang with it, no matter what upper you use, with a long range cold bore shot! If it could, sniper teams would be using the AR as the platform not a Remington 700. The M4 is used as a support weapon, not a main sniper rifle.

Jerry
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M110_Se..._Sniper_System M110 Semi Automatic Sniper System (M110 SASS) is an American semi-automatic sniper rifle that is chambered for the 7.62×51mm NATO round.

The M110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System is intended to replace the M24 Sniper Weapon System used by snipers, spotters, designated marksman, or squad advanced marksmen in the United States Army. However, the U.S. Army still acquired M24s from Remington until February 2010.[2] After witnessing the effects of USSOCOM snipers and extensive after-action reports from SOF snipers throughout the Iraqi theater of operations, the U.S. Army ran a competition involving several designs, including rifles from Knight's Armament Company, Remington, and DPMS Panther Arms.[citation needed] On September 28, 2005, the Knight's Armament Co. rifle won the competition and was selected to be the supplier of the M110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System. The XM110 underwent final operational testing in May and June of 2007 at Fort Drum, New York by a mix of Special Forces troops and Sniper trained soldiers from the 10th Mountain Division. In April 2008, U.S. Army soldiers from Task Force Fury in Afghanistan were the first in a combat zone to receive the M110. The troops rated the weapon very highly, noting the quality of the weapon and its semi-automatic capabilities compared to the bolt-action M24. The United States Marine Corps will also be adopting the M110 to replace some M39 and all Mk 11 as a complement to the M40A5.[3] It is manufactured by Knight's Armament Company in Titusville, Florida, though the complete system incorporates a Leupold 3.5–10× variable power daytime optic, Harris swivel bipod, AN/PVS-26 or AN/PVS-10 night sight and PALs magazine pouches of yet unpublished origin.[citation needed] The rifle has ambidextrous features such as a double-sided magazine release, safety selector switch, and bolt catch.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-23-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Boolit Master

Thanks M-Tex for proving my point. You can turn a pigs ear into a purse with enough money! And since the government to doing it, we should too!

I guess the M14s that were dusted off, tuned, and scoped wasn't effective. And everyone knows how well the AR-10 works.

Have a good day.
    Jerry

I feel Lefty Red's pain at the higher price of single shots. I like to fool with contenders and encore's and the days of $100 barrels are long gone as is the nickel candy bar. I've reloaded since the late 60's and the thought of loosing brass gets me upset. My grandson was shooting his 9 millimeter back by my pond and he had brass all over the pond dam. He and his girl friend got a big laugh out of me crawling around looking for the brass. I'll stick with single shots and save my brass.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess the M14s that were dusted off, tuned, and scoped wasn't effective.

The DMR & EBR M-14's are very effective but since Clinton/Gore had most of the M14's and their support parts scraped lack of arms and parts is a huge problem.

And everyone knows how well the AR-10 works.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M110_Se..._Sniper_System

The troops rated the weapon very highly, noting the quality of the weapon and its semi-automatic capabilities compared to the bolt-action M24.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-23-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

May I humbly suggest the righteous defenders of the holy AR note what section of the forum you are posting in?
    I personally do not care for the AR platform or the underhanded way Springfield armory was thrown under the buss to make way for a civilian designed rifle that was almost reliable enough to be used in jungle combat. Therefore, my rifle of choice is the M14/M1A.
    That doesn't mean I'm going to ram my opinion down the throat of anyone who differs with me.

The problem with the gun community is that we would just as soon throw a punch at the guy to our right or left as we would the real enemy and that has shamefully been demonstrated in this thread.
    Calling a fellow gun owner an enemy for stating his preferences? Calling him down for living, fighting and voting in a place where he is outnumbered in every way?
    This is disgusting and apologies should be immediately forthcoming from both sides of this discussion.
    This is a forum dedicated to the single shot rifle, and that's what the OP started this thread about. Why has it been derailed and dragged through the mud by his brothers in arms?

Now yall shake hands and let's get back to doing what we do best.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    On a M16/AR15 platform (5.56/.223) they have the accuracy with the limiting factor being the bullet weight of the 77 grain Sierra Matchking at a distance for energy, but when the gun is on steroids and becomes the AR10 and the gun can now handle the same bullet as the M40 etc., the difference becomes a mute point.

No matter how accurate the gun can be built and the ammunition made, it still comes down the the loose nut behind the butt plate. Anybody with deep pockets can buy a accurate gun and match grade ammo, but they still have to put in trigger time and lastly learn to read the wind to become a truly good long range shooter.

The triangle is, accurate gun, accurate ammo, and good shooter, any weakness in one of these and the whole system fails.

Moderator Emeritus

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, lets try and keep it civil guys, step back take a breath and have a great day!
    If you do not stand for something, you stand for nothing.

You can't spell "restore" with h-y-p-o-c-r-i-s-y.

The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.

Boolit Master
    Thanks M-Tex for proving my point. You can turn a pigs ear into a purse with enough money! And since the government to doing it, we should too!

I guess the M14s that were dusted off, tuned, and scoped wasn't effective. And everyone knows how well the AR-10 works.

Have a good day.
    Jerry
    Ill chip in,
    I think your pricing structure is off on your bolt action calculations. A basic remington 700 or 7 action is $397 at walmart, you can not buy them any cheaper. If you can find remington 700 or even savage target actions for $250, let me know, Ill buy them all day long. You can also go custom action from Pierce, Bat, etc for about $1000
    unchambered Barrel, $325 plus $20 shipping from krieger, Bartlien, Pac Nor, Shilen, etc. You can go lower tier from Green Mountian, wilson, or X caliber barrels for about $150 shipped, and have a very good barrel as well.
    Stock, Mcmillan, $550 , Manners, $1000, Elissio chassis, $1000. take your pic.
    Now the gunsmithing part,
    Chambering, $250-$400
    Action Blue Printing $200-$400
    Bedding $250
    Finishing, $150, can be eliminated though with a stainless barrel . So for a built up accurate botl gun capaable to beat the pants off of an AR, you are talking $1800 to $3550 if you have it built, or $1100 to $2750 if you have the capabilities to build it yourself, which from your posts, Im willing to bet you dont.
    I can build a National Match AR or Space Gun AR in .223 , and have, for right at about $800 on the low end and $1200 on the high end that will shoot an honest .75 moa or better, all day long, no fliers, for the life of the barrel. I dont have to bed it, and most average people can change out barrels and other parts themselves. On the same token I am building a Prone/xtc bolt gun right now on a remington action, krieger barrel, elissio stock, and cg trigger. Even with me doing the work, I will be over $2000 in parts alone, and this does not even count my tooling such as reamers and reciever blueprint tooling.
    Even if you go factory bolt action, a savage or remington varmint is going to cost out at least $800-$1000, which is the same price range as a NM AR from RRA or their Varminter and will shoot about as good as the bolt guns. My first space gun was a RRA Varminter that I slotted the handguard for an anschutz rail and slapped some sights on. I made high master with it within 4 months, and shot several perfect scores with it at 600 yds. Total cost of that gun was less than $1000, excluding sights, cause I bought it on sale.
    And by the way, the M70 is not america's rifle, it is a copy of the Springfield 1903, which is a copy of the German Mauser, which we had to pay royalties for until after WW1. Even the Garand was designed by a Canadian. The M16 series of rifles was the first Service Rifle to be designed by an american and built in america, based on an original american design, so it is more "america's rifle" than anything out there.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    May I humbly suggest the righteous defenders of the holy AR note what section of the forum you are posting in?
    I personally do not care for the AR platform or the underhanded way Springfield armory was thrown under the buss to make way for a civilian designed rifle that was almost reliable enough to be used in jungle combat. Therefore, my rifle of choice is the M14/M1A.
    That doesn't mean I'm going to ram my opinion down the throat of anyone who differs with me.

The problem with the gun community is that we would just as soon throw a punch at the guy to our right or left as we would the real enemy and that has shamefully been demonstrated in this thread.
    Calling a fellow gun owner an enemy for stating his preferences? Calling him down for living, fighting and voting in a place where he is outnumbered in every way?
    This is disgusting and apologies should be immediately forthcoming from both sides of this discussion.
    This is a forum dedicated to the single shot rifle, and that's what the OP started this thread about. Why has it been derailed and dragged through the mud by his brothers in arms?

Now yall shake hands and let's get back to doing what we do best.
    I take responsibility for my actions and apologize for my part of in this . In hind sight, I wish I could have communicated better in explaining my views to other members on here. And I apologize to M Tecs for calling him an idiot. After rereading my post that was poorly edited under a less that happy mood, I called him an idiot. He is a passionate as me about his views and I should respect that.

Jerry

I have the upmost respect for

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kenyerian View Post
    I feel Lefty Red's pain at the higher price of single shots. I like to fool with contenders and encore's and the days of $100 barrels are long gone as is the nickel candy bar. I've reloaded since the late 60's and the thought of loosing brass gets me upset. My grandson was shooting his 9 millimeter back by my pond and he had brass all over the pond dam. He and his girl friend got a big laugh out of me crawling around looking for the brass. I'll stick with single shots and save my brass.
    LOL, I thought I was the only one that makes a mental note of where my brass lands! LOL makes want to take up shooting revolvers and single shots only! And I bet I have way over 10,000 pieces of 9mm brass sitting in couple of three gallon buckets, but still get POed if I can't find at least 95% of my shot brass at the range!

I had build up my first Contender in the spring of 2013. It was just s 357 mag, and costed me around $600 with the barrel and rubber Pach forearm and grip. I did go a month ago and couldn't find a Contender frame for under $400 or a Encore frame for under $550. And yeah, no more $100 barrels! They were from $300-$450! Even a 45/410 barrels were high! I saw the writing on the wall and decided I could hang with the big boys so I decided to go with a CVA. Glad I did! Hope they keep them stocked. Now the CVA isn't as refined as the T/C. But I do likes its trigger and its a solid pistol. You just have to hold it different. Hope to get some pictures of it on here soon. Brass and bullets are on its way.

Jerry