RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: The crazy, crazy BFR .500 JRH.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    This is true. Rim has nothing to do with the chamber. Most custom makers understand you might not find JRH brass and will need to cut brass.
    Making the brass is probably the biggest pain of owning this gun. If this gun could possibly have a flaw, that would be it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seancass View Post
    Had the same case rubbing problem with my FA JRH. It was such a light drag, I cured it by twisting the offending case on some fine sandpaper. Probably couldn't measure a difference without some fine tools, but it was just enough. Also helps to keep it clean, but that shouldn't be an issue with your brand new gun.
    As the tooling for making the brass ages the rims get thicker, when the tooling is replaced the rims will go Bach to minimum specs again.

Boolit Master

wow, look at this!

http://www.magnumresearch.com/MRI-BFR45-70-3000fps.asp

Makes a guy think about what 44man suggests about large capacity cases and short barrels. Look how much gas exits the barrel after the bullet is long, long gone!

Makes a guy want to dump his long cylinder BFR for a short one....

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ole 5 hole group View Post
    There is one little problem with the 500JRH – and it’s with the brass. Anything over a 440 grain seldom works without reworking the case after applying the roll crimp. 440 grain hard cast bullets are a hit & miss situation and most won’t work properly. 400 grain and less are no problem.

That said, I have found no 500 grain cast bullet to work in the 500JRH but the 500 grain jacketed Hornady works just fine. Seems like the taper in the JRH brass starts just a hair too soon, which causes a slight case bulge, when seating a 440 grain or heavier bullet in the “normal” crimp groove. This bulge will prevent the case from fully sliding into the charge (cylinder) holes.

You can work around this problem but it’s a PITA, so a custom mold is the answer or crimp in the top grease groove.

I haven’t tried all the different casters out there, so there may be a few that cast a 440 grain bullet that has just the right length shank (probably cast performance but I haven’t tried theirs yet). If anyone knows of a commercial caster making 440 to 500 grain bullets that will properly seat in the 500JRH brass - post up.
    I just had this mold cut by Mountain Molds - I specified it specifically for the 500JRH. I have just loaded a few but it so far its working well; my intention is adding it to my line up in my bullet business.

First two are a 510gr 500S&W and the Last is a 500JRH using 14.5gr HS6, my 440gr WFN bullet set at 1.800" (Actual weight is 430gr with HB.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500JRH.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	125677

Middle bullet is the .430gr WFN
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	125678
    Last edited by Powersgt; 12-29-2014 at 08:26 PM.
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

Boolit Buddy
    Well fellas, this thread was a fun read. Sure makes me want a 500jrh.

What is the consensus on the best barrel length from BFR? Looks like they stock the shorter length still, but can you order a longer one from the custom shop? And is the shorter length ok or are you really better off with the longer lengths?

What boolits would you recommend? Is there a commonly found mold that is really showing promise?

Looking forward to what you all that have them think?!

Dan

Boolit Master

doubt you'll get concensus, but based on the 44man's opinion and the video I linked to above, the best barrel length is likely 10" if you have a long cylinder BFR. There's just too much powder capacity to take advantage of any other barrel length.

Short cylinder (like the 475, 500jrh, 454) I don't know.

It's been a few months since I called MR, but I believe (I think) they will spin on any barrel length you want for $150. Add tax, return shipping, and if I recall the OTD price ended up being something along the lines of $210, or just over 200 to rebarrel your BFR on your terms.

For the record, I was asking about standard sizes. I don;t know if they charge extra for a custom size.

Banned

The JRH seems to work very well at 6". I still bought a 7-1/2".
    I hate muffs when deer hunting and still feel the longer barrel gets the blast out farther. I do not hear the gun when shooting deer, unlike just one shot on the range that will make me fall on the ground! I dare not shoot my 10-1/2" SBH on the range at all but can shoot deer.
    One thing I noticed in the video was there was no hammer rebound at all. Good hammer spring! The big 45-70 case has less pressure of course. For the .500 S&W and the 45-70/.450, I would want 10".
    Yes you can knock your socks off with the 45-70 BFR but there is no need, my 317 gr with 4759 is still the most accurate ever at 1630 fps. 1" targets at 100 and steel at 500 meters.
    I don't know what powder was used or what bullet in the video. 4198 gave me excursions from 1600 to 1800 and stuck a few cases so that is out, never go in my gun again although it worked with jacketed better. The 300 gr Hornady is a great bullet in it.
    My JRH came out of the custom shop because I bought it before it was offered as production. I did not have to do the trigger or anything, it is perfection.
    What powder could be used to get 3000 fps???? I know you will not have much left to a deer! Need a sponge to butcher.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks you guys for the replies. I was thinking specifically with the 500 jrh what are the best boolits and barrel length. I would want to lean toward the 7 inch range since this won't be a carry gun, only target practice and hunting. But if the standard length is ok I might just do that. I will only be shooting boolits and would prefer a heavy one at around 1300-1400.

44man I believe the 3000fps reference in the video is "frames per second" of the high speed camera. I have seen that before with other high speed footage and I could be wrong, but pretty sure it is not the bullet speed.

Thanks for the input, and if anyone knows of a new or used 500 jrh let me know!

Dan

Banned

Remember BFR barrels were measured from the frame, I liked it. They are a tad longer then listed compared to other guns but I don't know if they changed. Many got out of shape about it. Silly to complain over 1/2" to 5/8"!
    Since MR was bought out, choices have gone down. The demand for short barrels is the driving force for profit and I don't agree at all. I would like better choices. Every gun should have a choice like Rugers.

Banned

Remember BFR barrels were measured from the frame, I liked it. They are a tad longer then listed compared to other guns but I don't know if they changed. Many got out of shape about it. Silly to complain over 1/2" to 5/8"!
    Since MR was bought out, choices have gone down. The demand for short barrels is the driving force for profit and I don't agree at all. I would like better choices. Every gun should have a choice like Rugers.

Banned

Trouble with the net going off so I get a double post, tried to delete with no luck.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    The JRH seems to work very well at 6". I still bought a 7-1/2".
    Think it would still work at 5.5" or even 5"? Using a slightly heavier boolit could be used to soak up case capacity a little more and perhaps still get the most out of the shorter barrel because of it, no?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    Think it would still work at 5.5" or even 5"? Using a slightly heavier boolit could be used to soak up case capacity a little more and perhaps still get the most out of the shorter barrel because of it, no?
    Should, 5.5" was actually a tad over 6" and it shot my 440 gr perfectly.
    Since all my hunting revolvers have Ultra Dots, I use a shoulder holster so barrel length means nothing to carry.
    I wish they had more selections for production guns though.
    Since MR is under new owners, profit has reared it's head so they figure the custom shop will make them more. The customs are still a good deal, fit and triggers are better.