RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: For my 300th post, a 300 Blackout AR!

For my 300th post, a 300 Blackout AR!

I see 300 posts in my post count, and it must be telling me something. Time for an AR in 300 AAC Blackout! Now to wait 3 more weeks until it is finished.. Ordering supplies.

I have a bunch of boolits from 30 carbine mold, LEE 90301 311-100-2R, but from posts, 30 carbine boolits do not work well in the 300 Blk. Is this because of the profile?

Boolit Bub
    In my experience light weight cast are hard load with enough power to cycle and keep manageable fps. Hope someone can give us both some advice.

Try these

LEE C312-155-2R 7.62x39mm (312 Diameter) 155 Grain 2 Ogive Radius Gas Check

or NOE's version of Ed Harris design
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=1249

If you want a heavy for subsonic
    NOE
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=207

or
    LEE
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/938...5-ogive-radius

For lighter I have been using these sized .311 over A-5744
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...products_id=71

I'm still trying to get good at powder coating before I run any thru my suppressor.
    Last edited by Artful; 03-19-2015 at 09:29 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by RobsTV View Post
    I see 300 posts in my post count, and it must be telling me something. Time for an AR in 300 AAC Blackout! Now to wait 3 more weeks until it is finished.. Ordering supplies.

I have a bunch of boolits from 30 carbine mold, LEE 90301 311-100-2R, but from posts, 30 carbine boolits do not work well in the 300 Blk. Is this because of the profile?
    The real problem isn't so much cast but cartridge specific. Most bullets in the light range can't be loaded long enough to feed reliably. The ones made for this caliber have a long point like the 125SMK designed for the 300blk. Others like the nosler 125 BT and hornady 125 SST achieve this with ballistic tips. The same applies to cast, even more so, as our bullets are heavier in shorter packages. Honestly, 160gr and up with cast and a elongated nose are desirable. 300blk has a short neck and lots of free bore, best to fill that as best as possible. I've run heavy, short fat bullets and under recoil they will jump ahead of the rib in the mag and ride the front of the mag. Then they will cause a 3pt jam that requires a mag drop and possibly a finger to clear the round, not pretty. The 312-155 really is the best boolit I've used to date(of about 20 tried). I really like the 311-291 also.

Thanks for the replies.

Already picked up and started casting some with Lee C312-155-2R and TL309-230-5R. Have a couple thousand of the M1 30 carbine cast and was just looking for other alternatives that I already have as well. These do have plain base gas checks installed, but if too short anyway, doesn't matter.

Any chance the mold I used for 303 Enfield might work, C312-185-1R. Round nose, not pointed.

Also, 16" with pistol length gas and 1 in 8" twist if that helps. Powder coating the TL and will try PC and traditional with the 312-155.
    Last edited by RobsTV; 03-20-2015 at 06:10 AM. Reason: info added

Boolit Grand Master

Wait a few more post and get a 308.

I don't have the LEE C312-185-1R, but I think I remember someone using it successfully with AR in 300BO. - as far as jumping the rib - if you get the plastic fantastic you can just remove the rib if it's causing you problems.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsTV View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Already picked up and started casting some with Lee C312-155-2R and TL309-230-5R. Have a couple thousand of the M1 30 carbine cast and was just looking for other alternatives that I already have as well. These do have plain base gas checks installed, but if too short anyway, doesn't matter.

Any chance the mold I used for 303 Enfield might work, C312-185-1R. Round nose, not pointed.

Also, 16" with pistol length gas and 1 in 8" twist if that helps. Powder coating the TL and will try PC and traditional with the 312-155.

I shoot 312-155's powder coated in my Hardened Arms 16" 1 in 8. I found that I had to shield the bore rider section when powder coating or I had chambering issues. For paint shields I cut off some junk 223 cases and necked them down with my BO sizing die, stuck the noses in them and ESPCed and baked.

Boolit Buddy
    i dont have any issues with the above mentioned boolit and PC. (15.5 gr H110) but its an old 300 Whisper chamber and runs everything i've loaded out of it very well. lucky i guess.
    stay frosty