Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this normal?

Boolit Buddy
    Not to hijack this thread, is post # 8 a description of the Paul Jones method?
    Knarley

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Knarley View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, is post # 8 a description of the Paul Jones method?
    Knarley
    No, that is a description of pressure pouring with a ladle. Been going on for a long time, Lyman matched the angle of their sprue holes with the angle of the outside of their ladle.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Vendor Sponsor

Riflecountry, Have you shot any of the bullets that you show as surface blemished? If you can rub your finger on the bullets and just barely detect the oxidation, weight them, assuming they are with in weight, they likely will shoot well.

Now, I am NOT saying you should give up on making perfect bullets. Just saying that many casting runs I have may show some of this too but the bullets shoot well. Very well in fact! Often it is just cosmetic imperfection. Experience will let you know which and what to worry about and what is OK.

I thought of this thread because yesterday I cast my bullets for the four day Creedmoor match that will be held in Arizona in two weeks. There isn't a more demanding test of these bullets. Most of the run of 16-1 Lead- Tin bullets I made did not look as good as yours. However, I will compete with them. They are fine and first rate and will shoot well. Reading and shooting in the conditions during the match will decide my fate - the bullets will perform fine.

I cast a batch of 50-50 WW-Pb +1% Tin added also. Those bullets look better than the run of 16-1. I expect both alloys to shoot just fine.

Let me know how your bullets turn out on your next casting session.

Michael Rix
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 02-26-2015 at 04:47 PM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Mold
    Michael,
    I have shot a few, around 20 or so, looking for a load for my 40-82, 14.5. twist green mountain. They shot extremely well in one of the loads! I was a little worried, however that these spots might be some strange material and have some hardness to them that could scratch the bore. From your posts and others, I think I won't worry about it. Just yesterday, I tried casting some more, after cleaning the ladle, pot, mold, and trying to skim as much dross out of the batch as possible. My results may have been somewhat better, but still getting the random bullets with those oxidized spots. I am gonna try a batch of fresh alloy tomorrow and see what happens.
    I have shot silhouette with you in Whitewater a few times, just shot there a couple weekends ago. I was asking about whether you shot there any more, and wanted to get in touch to see if I can get some more of your lube. Thanks for the help!
    Greg Fisher

Vendor Sponsor

Hey Greg, Give me a PM on the lube and if I have what you need on hand I will try to get it out before I go to the Arizona match.

I miss living over on the western slope. I never thought I would be where I am now but life takes some twists and turns. We only have a few more years here and then we'll be free to get back there again! Do you see Bernie often? I should give him a call. That was a fun bunch to shoot with; I miss it!
    You take care...
    Chill Wills

Boolit Mold
    Yep, life can sure take some unexpected turns. Bernie was there a couple weeks ago. And yes, they are a great group of guys to shoot with! PM sent.