Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Alliant BE-86. Opinions?

New Alliant BE-86. Opinions?

I'm a long term user of 231/HP-38, Unique, BE, Red Dot, etc. I have an opportunity to buy an 8lb jug of Alliant BE-86.

Data is scarce for this new product but it seems to have a wide range of caliber usage from .380 to 44mag. according to the Alliant website.

Any pro or con info from personal experience would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    "Hindsight is always so much more accurate than foresight, but well considered foresight so much more valuable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boolit Master

I guess I've been sleeping as I wasn't even aware of this new powder.

I compared the Alliant on-line loading manual with BE-86 to the Lyman CBH #3 for loads in the 357 and 44 Magnums for the commonly cast boolit weights in these calibres and it seems to compare (give or take a bit) for velocity and charge weight closely with Herco and Unique.

As it's a flake powder and as it is advertised as "high energy" (I take that to mean a double base formula) it ought to roughly compare with those previous powders by Alliant when used in similar applications.

If I needed a mid level performance pistol powder, I'd certainly try it.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master

I have a pound of it but haven't loaded w/ it yet. It's supposed to be more temp stable. But I'm leary of these new "green" powders. Truth be told it was on the shelf for weeks which is the only reason I bought it. Figured I'd give it a try since apparently no one else is.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been trying to figure out if I want to pull the trigger on a 8# keg at the LGS as well. It definitely has a useful range of load applications and is supposed to be the "new Unique". Time will tell.

Boolit Grand Master

Having trouble believing they're coming out with new powders when they can't keep up with the demand for current powders. Finally found a copy of the new Hodgdon annual tonight and of course they had three new powders on the cover.
    If this powder is an improvement on Unique it may be worth a look before everyone else jumps on the bandwagon and we don't see it for a couple of years.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy

I think most of us want to give this powder a try but I expect to continue buying Unique as long as it is still available. With that statement having been said, I haven't been able to buy a pound of Unique in almost 2 years. Where can I get this BE86 again?

Boolit Master
    Currently the most important atribute of a powder may be availability .
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

I saw some of this at a LGS for $30. I thought about trying it, but decided not to encourage that sort of pricing. They also had primers for $50. I guess I won't be shopping at that store <sigh>.

If I ever see it at a reasonable price, I'll probably give it a try.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
    Currently the most important atribute of a powder may be availability .

Well said and quite accurate these days.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Part of me says, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it', what with all the varieties of powder out there...and like TXGunNut, with the problem of availability I wonder why they would roll out yet another variety instead of increasing existing production. That said, if the price is right I'd certainly try it, but it would have to be cheaper or at least on par with existing offerings...I'm sure it would work well in something. Personally (even with the shortages) I'd hesitate on springing for an 8-pound jug until I tried it and liked it.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I bought 2 pounds to try and have to say that I like it. I like 4.0grains under a 95grain Montana Gold JHP for .380 as a personal protection round. My wife likes 6.0grains under a 200grain RN .45acp bullet. LOL, "not too boomy"... It's supposed to be a new version of BullsEye and it meters about the same. I was planning on test loading some 9mm but I'm gonna keep the last pound for .380 personal protection rounds. I will definitely buy more when it comes around again.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Cheaper to produce, maybe? I'm sure there is a business reason for it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cmm_3940 View Post
    Cheaper to produce, maybe? I'm sure there is a business reason for it.
    It's a "green" powder. Since powder is sold internationally the manufacturers are going to need to abide by the stricter standards. Apparently the European market is what's driving the "green" angle since they are really over regulated.

Banned

Green powder????? Please explain

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    The next thing is . . . if it becomes available and you start using it . . . is the supply going to be there? I was able to find 2# of Unique this past summer but had to be persistent and keep looking. I'm open to "new things" and would certainly give it a try but it would be nice to know thee is sufficient loading data out there for it and that the supply will be there. I like "playing" as much as the next guy but right now, I have 5 different powders on my shelf - "just 'cause I could get them" when I found them. I'd much rather have 1 type sitting on my shelf that didn't require a whole lot of playing with to work loads up because I can't find it. And . . . of the 5 different powders I have - Trail Boss is not one of them as I can never have any luck finding it but sure do hear about a lot of folks using it. When I was "hunting powder" this past summer, the shelves were pretty bare and I never saw anything larger than a 1# container sitting on the shelf.

Hopefully those that can find and play with this new powder will post some results as I'm sure all of us would love to see what it's all about.

Boolit Master
    Some of the velocities ive saw posted on other forums are fairly impressive. In 9mm, you can squeeze over 1200fps out of this stuff. Id give it a shot if i could find it but no luck yet. Im supposed to be getting a chrono soon so if i can find a few lbs of the stuff il post results.

I went for the jug and I'll be working up loads for many calibers from .380 to 44 Mag soon.

There have been several glowing reports from other reliable sources as well as comments we've seen here to convince me I've made the right move. I'm especially interested in how this new powder performs with cast boolits. I'm thinking BE-86 may offer a big surprise in the 41. Mag/.44 Special calibers as well as the .380/9mm/38 Special/.40 calibers where the earliest reports seem to focus. Time will tell...

Thanks to all who replied. Please keep reporting your experiences when you can and I'll try to do the same....
    "Hindsight is always so much more accurate than foresight, but well considered foresight so much more valuable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boolit Grand Master
    I doubt it is new at all. We may have never been able to purchase it as a canister powder but it may well have been in use by ammo manufacturers for many years.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    BE-86 recipes from the Alliant website

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...px?powderid=38
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Banned

I snagged a jug of this yesterday.
    from what I have seen looking at data and such is seems to flip flop places with unique along the scale of cartridge size.
    you use more in the smaller cases and less in the bigger ones.
    I thought that an odd trait but I think this might be a pretty ideal powder for the 40 S&W, too bad I have 2-45's and won't likely find out.

it also looked to be just about the same burn rate as herco in the 357 case.[with 158 gr boolits]
    I think this is going to be a powder some people really like and others hate depending on what case they use it in.
    I'm gonna give it a go in a couple of different ones and probably target settling it out in my 357 levergun to replace the little bit of herco I have left.
    i'll have about 7-k rounds to find out if I like it there.