Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: Issues with the PPK/s

Issues with the PPK/s

Good afternoon gentlemen, looking for some input and suggestions on an issue ive been having with my wife's new-to-us PPK/s... Sometimes when racking the slide to chamber a round, the 'hammer release' will protrude (as designed) up into a recess in the slide. Issue is, when racking from full battery, depending on the angle, tthis piece will protrude up and bind against the safety mechanism, preventing the slide from coming back more than an eighth of an inch. Now if you rack it straight up and down the hammer release will fall into the receiver body and not cause any issue, but if racked at an angle, it catches. Attached are pics of both the hammer release protruding, and the safety block inside the slide.

There appears to be several potential causes. Is there a spring missing on the hammer release or is it designed to float? Or is it an incorrect size and protrudes too far? Or is it that the block should not have that lip? or is the block at a slightly wrong angle?

All i know it, if that hammer release falls into the wrong position at firing i have no idea what may happen, and if this jams at a critical time, the gun is useless... Do any of you guys have any experience with this? Have had a similar issue?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150221_154046_resized.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	131584

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150221_154359_resized.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	131585

I haven't had this problem but shortly after we got my wifes PPK/S it was recalled for an issue with the safety and hammer release when decocking. Here is the link to check if your gun is affected. Took about 3 months to get it back once it went in.
    http://www.waltherarms.com/ppk-ppks-recall/
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

I bought mine with the recall already having been performed (note the stamp/dot in the hammer's recess part of the beavertail)

I have had no such problems with the two Walter PPK I have owned. The first one was made in Germany in 1965 and the other was a 1995 Interarms. I do understand the the Smith and Wesson versions have some real issues and are to be avoided. IIRC Walter and Smith and Wesson have split the sheets over the issues.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

It is a s n w, but this is the only issue I have. Love the thing!

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine is an Interarms 1990's era US manufactured gun, and I can not for the life of me see how it would be possible for this gun to malfunction in the manner you describe. There is virtually no lateral play in the hammer release, certainly not enough to allow it to drift over into the path of the safety. With the slide installed and at it's forward position, the Hammer release is forward of the safety mechanism and it is not possible for the hammer release to catch, even if I were to deliberately try to cause it to do so.

The fact that yours can block the slide movement is troubling. I suspect the nose of the hammer release is too short on yours and that it is too narrow as well, but you should contact Walther and have it repaired. When you get a click when you are expecting a boom, you are in deep trouble. The midst of a felonious assault is a tough time to be finagling with your pistol.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Thanks for the input, I'll try and get in touch w Walther and see what they have to say - i'm hoping it is a common enough/correctable issue that they will know what I'm talking about without me having to draw a picture for them!

Seems strange to me that S&W can't buid a good copy of a design that was perfected in the 1920s. But they had trouble with their 1911s too. Yes I own both Colt 1911s & a Interarms Walthers PPK, they all work.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.