Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: .458 SOCOM upper... Rock River or Teppujutsu which is better and why?

.458 SOCOM upper... Rock River or Teppujutsu which is better and why?

I am looking to buy a .458 upper and have been doing some research but you all know how research goes... I would like to hear from anybody that has one of these uppers or has at least shot one. Please tell me your good and bad experiences!
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Vendor Sponsor

I have a RRA upper and could ask for a better more accurate factory barrel .. Shoots Cast bullets just fine

here are 2 subsonic or close to subsonic loads
    Attachment 129436Attachment 129437
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 02-03-2015 at 05:34 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Vendor Sponsor

and here is a full powder load

Attachment 129440
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Neat!

Thank You for sharing your load data! Nice groups Smoke!

Teppo Jutsu (Marty) is not putting out barrels, uppers and etc right now he moved overseas on a job. Basically Tromix Lead Delivery Systems has taken over for TJ and offers barrels, bolt, complete uppers and etc. SBR also offers barrels and bolts. Go over to .458 socom forums and do some reading.

http://www.tromix.com/socom-parts.htm
    http://www.sbrammunition.com/458socom_parts.html

Thank You dfk!

Boolit Bub
    Rock river has done good for me!They use an off beat threading on the barrel now, 5/8 32 I think, but older models used regular ol 5/8 24.

Very cool AR 15 caliber.

TJ was the original maker I believe and many people are very happy with those rifles. I am sure you can find used ones from when Marty was doing them if they are not putting out what you are after right now.

Boolit Grand Master

A friend of mine swears by his RRA in 458 SOCOM. It'll put a hurtin on ya.

Boolit Bub
    I bought a Radical Firearms 458 upper and am quite happy with it. I just couldn't pass on the price compared to everyone else. They put out a good product. Impressed me enough to order a 300 Blackout upper from them too.

I've got a Tromix and it is nice. The only issue I've ever had is a slam fire when I sent the bolt home. The rifle was pointed in a safe direction, but it gave me a startle. I am not sure what the issue was and can't rule out the ammo (could have been a primer that was seated proud) but, I haven't had the problem happen since. I probably should look at one of the light weight Ti firing pins. It would be a cheap fix. Anyway, my Tromix upper is one of the originals Marty sold when the .458 SOCOM was first developed. It doesn't have the fancy rails and tacticool stuff, but it shoots like a champ.

I've looked at both the Radical Firearms uppers and RRA model. They both look nice and I wouldn't hesitate to buy either of them. My advice, get brass when you can find it at a good price. If you can get it on sale or cheap, stock up. I use Starline. SOCOM brass is pricey and I cringe every time I lose a piece in the grass. I've had the Tromix for over ten years and so far, neither the gun or the dies seem to be hard on the brass and for me it lasts pretty well. I love my SOCOM and it is just plain enjoyable to shoot. Get one, you won't regret it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnman31 View Post
    My advice, get brass when you can find it at a good price. If you can get it on sale or cheap, stock up. I use Starline. SOCOM brass is pricey and I cringe every time I lose a piece in the grass.
    Starline is the only ones that produce brass for the 458 just a FYI ----As far as brass touching the grass......never happens the stuff is just waaaaaaay to valuable to let touch the ground. I bought one of these http://caldwell brass catcher Best money I ever spent. I have even gone so far as to get the mount for all of my uppers. Not only do I not lose brass anymore but my back doesn't hurt from bending over for half a day looking for it all.

That’s my 458 SOCOM bullet. It’s a 410 grain LFN. From a group buy mould on Lee six cavity blocks. Was designed for 45-70 Marlin lever guns. Accurate Molds has the design in there catalogue. It’s a definite heavy hitter. Sold a couple runs to a guy from Wasilla Alaska for big bear use. Would be way overkill for measly porkers or deer.

Just thought I’d show that to give people an idea of what a 458 SOCOM can do.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by mtnman31 View Post
    I've got a Tromix and it is nice. The only issue I've ever had is a slam fire when I sent the bolt home.
    If you had Federal or other soft primer that alone is an issue with AR-15's of any caliber. I use Rem 7 1/2 , CCI 450 magnum or #41 military and Wolf 223. That's in my 223 Rem AR-15's. In my 223 bolt action varmint rifle. Most loads using easy to light stick powder get Federal 205M as accuracy is noticeably better. They are mild primers and ball powders or slow stick usually benefits from a hotter burning primer than the Fed 205. We had a slam fire here this fall from some old AR ammo I loaded 25 years ago before I stopped using Federals. Round had been chambered before and pre dented. Probably ran four thousand Federal primers in AR's and that was the first one. But always heard it could happen and it did. Once is all it may take so it's just not a good AR primer. I noticed Fed has a new AR primer out on the market. Good move for them.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln