WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H&R in .357 Maximum

I have a 10 Contender 357 Max and I have killed deer as far as 197 yards ! Excellent round. I use Remington 180 gr hollow point pistol bullet's. Don't use the Hornady 180 gr singles shot pistol bullet unless your using a carbine. The short barrel's don't develop enough speed for expansion.
    I'm new to casting but I plan on trying some cast in the Max. I agree with Jeff223. Awesome !

Boolit Master

I have a Handi done up by David White of D&T. It is an MOA shooter with jacketed bullets. I have not yet found a cast load that realizes the potential of this fine cartridge. The Hornady 3505 180 gr. SSP at 2,000+fps is a bang flop load. Mr. White has volunteered to re-cut the chamber so it will be a better cast bullet gun, for free. It speaks well for D&Ts customer service philosopy.

Banned

"I have a Handi done up by David White of D&T."

That was a good thing to do. He is a master.

Here's the rifle I traded in to. The barrel is marked "H&R .357 Max" so I assume it's factory chambered to that?? It came with a straight grip wood stock and forearm, the Choate stocks arrived today from Midway. I threw a Simmons 3-9x on it for now, but I don't know how much I like it.

Boolit Master
    Nice I hope she shoots good for you

Boolit Master
    Most H&R .357 Magnums have an overly long throat. By seating the bullets out far enough to tale advantage of the extra length one can get fairly close to .357 Maximum performance with many bullets.

I have 357 Maximum in H&R and Ruger single shots. They are great gun to shoot. The special rifle chambering reamer make a big difference. They are available for rent on GBO forum.

Boolit Master
    IIRC the GBO site has instructions on how 'to fit' the barrels yourself. Years ago H&R wrote me that the alloy was the same but only the SB2 was heat treated.

Let's hope that Remington revives the H&R line once they are moved into their new factory. Modernized CNC machinery should make it possible to hold tolerances close enough to make interchangeability possibility. It might also make possible to switch to a monoblock construction with an integral machined under lug instead of the welded/brazed ones they have used in the past.

My suggestions are for them to drop the SB1 action and use the SB2 and its smaller firing pin standard for all guns. End the confusion about what actions and barrels are interchangeable. Personally, I wish someone made unchambered barrels available to gunsmiths, 'Gunsmith Specials', for custom chambers. Of course this would unlikely be practical retroactively

Boolit Master
    Do all of you cast your own boolits for the 357max?
    If not what are you shooting out of them?Most places are out of the 158 grain and heaier jacketed bullets.

I like the 190 grain Ranch Dogs but i also like to have some 180 grain xtps on hand too

Boolit Master
    Jeff, I use my Max for a bit different end product than most. I load heavy cast bullets in it subsonic so I can kill those menacing tin cans quietly with my suppressor. I got Tom at Accurate to cut me a 4 cavity mold with two different bullet designs in it. One is a 250 grainer the other a 300 grain bullet. Those long bullets take up some room in the casing but the longer case of the Max leaves plenty of powder room. Big slap when they hit my plywood target backer and the bank behind. I haven't tried to load those fast, but I bet they would be a bang flop on deer if loaded to faster speeds. Your barrel twist rate will dictate how heavy (long actually) of a bullet you can use. I imagine with a factory (IIRC) 16 twist you would still be able to use my 250 grainers IF loaded faster than I do, but 200's and probably 225gr should be no problem. My barrel was spec'd out with a 12 twist when I had MGM make it just so I could shoot the heavier bullets subsonic.

Quote Originally Posted by wlc View Post
    I load heavy cast bullets in it subsonic so I can kill those menacing tin cans quietly with my suppressor. I got Tom at Accurate to cut me a 4 cavity mold with two different bullet designs in it. One is a 250 grainer the other a 300 grain bullet.
    Oh, Video or Pictures would be nice - Please
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

So far I've had very good luck shooting the Lee .358 158gr mine is a round nose tumble lube design.

My only complaint is that Lee does not seem to go bigger than 158 gr in .357.

At this point I'm really not interested in spending 90$ or more for a mold I may use only seldom.
    Tempting to buy a cheap Lee wadcutter in 148 grain and see if I can't extend the nose enough to get up into the 180-200 grain size.
    My Handi like most has a very long chamber and lead in, as far as I can see it would chamber a .357 max without the reamer. Certainly would do the .360 DW brass with room to spare.

I have a local company, who I get all my boolits from, making me some 200gr hard cast.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Oh, Video or Pictures would be nice - Please
    No video, but I'll se what I can do with some pics in the next day or two.