Load DataRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder Choice?

Boolit Man
    I am at cabelas now. The only thing they have from all the powders listed above is 4227 they just put out HP-38 any comments on that?
    Last edited by ddcrawford; 02-12-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Buy it. It is a useful pistol powder for low velocity and mid-range target and standard pressure loads.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ddcrawford View Post
    I am at cabelas now. The only thing they have from all the powders listed above is 4227 they just put out HP-38 any comments on that?
    Same as 231

bgokk Benefactor Member NRA
    The second amendment is the guarantee for all the other amendments...........

Moderator Emeritus

For the 158GC model, you just can't NOT try 2400, and with either, when top velocity isn't a priority, Unique usually gives great accuracy. CFE Pistol shows some promise as well, but I haven't had an opportunity to try it yet, so can give no testimonials. The good thing about Unique, in my experience, is that it usually (no, not always, but "usually") gives good accuracy at varying charge weights and velocities. It is one of the few powders I've tried that does this with pretty fair regularity. One "sweet spot" will often give you the BEST accuracy, but most loads show "good" accuracy, and that can be an asset when you want to shoot varying levels of power in your guns, or just to save powder for when you're not going "all-out" for that "best of all possible loads. This can prove useful, especially in the current climate of limited availabilities of powders. Just my experience, FWIW.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ddcrawford View Post
    I am going to be in Cabela's tomorrow and was going to pick up some powder. I am reloading 38 Special and 357 Magnum and have ordered the Lee 358-140-SWC & C358-158 SWC molds. What powders are good choices in addition to the Bullseye, Red Dot and 231 that I already have on hand?
    I was at our local Cabela's a week ago and they didn't have one solitary pistol powder. A lot of rifle powder though. They did have some RE-7 so grabbed one.

Boolit Grand Master
    At this point buy what they have that will work. Anything that will work beats nothing. This isn't the time to be picky about handgun powder choices, not unless they are in your cupboard.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master

I must be living right. Last month I found my local reloading shop stocked. I bought 6lbs Unique, 6lbs Unique and 10lbs H-4895.

Yesterday, I hit gold and got an eight pounder of Red Dot for $146.

Boolit Man
    I went ahead and purchased the HP-38 yesterday, so I am going to still be on the lookout for something better for 357 Mag loads. I talked to a guy that worked there and he said two weeks ago they got in 70 lbs of Unique the first time they had gotten any in 7 months...it was gone in two days. I was in there one of those two days because I saw it on the shelf but did not get any because I was not sure what I wanted and knew I was going back there soon. Leaving town later today to go see my Mom and Dad and within 5 mins of their house is a Cabela's, Gander Mountain and a gun and knife shop. I will check all three of those places just to see what they have.

I really like win 296 in magnum loads. Its the same as H110. But like others have said, if you see a general use pistol powder (Unique, hp-38, univeral clays, etc) just grab it. They usually give good accuracy for target loads and you can use them in pretty much everything, so you can shoot SOMETHING at least.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatFishGuy View Post
    I really like win 296 in magnum loads. Its the same as H110. But like others have said, if you see a general use pistol powder (Unique, hp-38, univeral clays, etc) just grab it. They usually give good accuracy for target loads and you can use them in pretty much everything, so you can shoot SOMETHING at least.
    Also makes good trade fodder if you don't need it but others certainly do!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by sawzall View Post
    Also makes good trade fodder if you don't need it but others certainly do!
    Very good point.

Banned

yup its hard to beat
    Quote Originally Posted by nvbirdman View Post
    Can't go too wrong with unique.

Boolit Buddy

I like Unique for 38 special and getting good results from CFE pistol.
    "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you got me into!" Oliver Hardy

Boolit Buddy
    I just grabbed an 8 pounder each of Green Dot and Universal Clays. It had been pushed to the back wall of the empty powder shelf. It had been there for a while because the prices were quite reasonable. Lucky that I had stopped to tie my shoe.
    Between the two of them should be able to find loads for most stuff..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    I was in the Charleston WV Cabela's yesterday and there were about 6 customers looking at the powder shelves and lamenting the emptiness. There was 1 1# bottle of some black powder sub. There were two 4# jugs of some little known large bore rifle charcoal stuff and another very slow burning rifle powder that nobody really wants. No .22 long rifle ammo. Only a few bricks of assorted primers. They had some new brass in a few handgun calibers. Pretty much Ole Mother Hubbard's cupboard.

prs
    Glad I went to Wheeling WV as they at least had 231 so bought 2 of them. Had the primers I wanted so bought them too.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers