Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squirrels in the attic!

Boolit Bub

Once you get them out of your attic, you can get coyote urine at the farm store. They have perforated bottles that you can put cotton balls inside. Put a little of the urine on the cotton and hang them near the eaves of the house. It does a good job of keeping the squirrels from coming back. Also, trim any tree branches away from the house. Try and keep the branches 10' off the house. That will help keep the squirrels off the house too.
    "Blessed are those who, in the face of death, focus on the front sight" ~Col. Jeff Cooper~

Boolit Master

My neighbor has been bringing me squirrels in a "Have-a-Heart" type trap for a few weeks now and I have killed around 5-6 or more of them during that time. They are all in his attic and have destroyed nearly all his possessions up there. I had some in my attic and soffit in my eaves, but I did some screen work and hung some new lumber and all is well for now. I have killed a pile of them in my yard though as well. buckets of them. Ate quite a few of them too.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

Treat them like chicken!
    Lightly dredge cleaned squirrel in flour. Sautee lightly in butter, make a dark brown roux with oil and flour. Add chopped onion cook till soft , add broth and make gravy, slip squirrels back in , cover, simmer on low until tender. Make a pan of biscuits, then get rid of squirrels.
    You could also, Let the cat go up in the attic....squirrels do not like cats!
    Gary

Super Moderator

I had what I thought was a squirrel in my attic. It turned out to be a pack rat, and a big one. He chewed a hole through the drywall over the tub in the bathroom, came in, and ate half a bar of soap. Now he was in the house! I set rat traps, but he just sprung them without getting caught. I ended up getting him with a regular jaw trap, the kind used to trap coyotes. I placed it along a wall that I knew he was running along. Biggest rat I ever saw.

Seal it up and trap and poison, 'specially if you can't get up there and creep/eyeball about.
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Boolit Buddy
    I fix this for homeowners all of the time.

First, definitely inspect and close off any entrance points on the exterior - preferably during the day when the squirrels are most active and more likely to be "out and about" when you accomplish the task. If you happen to close them inside, the easiest thing to do is peanut butter "rat sized" snap-traps. Get them up into the attic as close as reasonably accessible to where you found entry points.

We hesitate to use poison because it doesn't kill on the spot and having a well-hidden and nasty-smelling rotting squirrel in your attic is a bad thing.

If you can see the traps from your access hatch, feel free to tie strings from the traps back to your hatch on your way out. Makes it easier to "reel em in" when you catch a squirrel rather than having to climb through the attic again. Sometimes works, sometimes not if you're a long way from the hatch with your traps.

Get some "golden malrin" fly bait from your local farm store. Mix half of the can into peanut butter in a disposable pan. Place pan of bait in area inaccessible to pets or children. You will find the offender dead within 20 feet of the pan.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Trap and eat them, tree rat is tasty stuff!
    In east Texas they call them limb chickens, because they taste like chicken.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints!

In Remembrance

I thought Golden Malrin had been banned? My sister-in-law had a squirrel get into her house by chewing through nex to a ceiling light. It couldn't get back out and was in there for a long time as she was working out of town. It chewed everything in sight and made a heck of a mess. Then she found they had chewed the wiring in her attic and cost thousands of dollars that the insurance would not cover.

Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    I thought Golden Malrin had been banned?
    Not sure. last time I bought it was a couple years ago. I have a pound and a half left.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Moderator Emeritus

Available on Amazon...

Super Moderator

You can still buy Golden Malrin, but it's not the original potent formula any more. I looked into it when I was having a severe raccoon problem. I ended up trapping all the coons and relocating them to the woods. I didn't want them crawling into the neighbors yard to die.

Boolit Master

Rick - Not sure if you have red or fox squirrels. I get red squirrels in my attic here in VT every 2 or 3 years. Simple for me to deal with. I usually set out 3 or 4 rat traps baited with Skippy peanut butter an 1 ( one ) small have a heart trap baited with the same. You need to tie the rat traps with a couple of feet of string to a stud or something else - nail. I f you just get em bye the tail, they will drag the trap off. Have trapped em this way out of a couple of houses in my neighborhood. Usually takes me just 3 or 4 nights. More if you have multiple access point in the house. Close those up if you can figure out how they are getting in. If you don't - they will bring friends. I don't use a haveaheart trap to keep them alive. It's just another way to sucker the in to a trap. Good to have multiple methods. If you have gray or fox squirrel - Rat traps are going to be too small in most cases.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    You know, you don't want to be killing squirrels in your attic. They live there. You want to be killing them OUTSIDE where they forage.

If you have a few trees about or a wooden fence, start setting out a few shelled raw peanuts with a bit of peanut butter wiped on them as bait.
    Get some real rat killing bait from an Ag store. As soon at they are on the bait, switch in the good grade killing bait with a little peanut butter. Put out 5 or 6 depending on the places you set it to get them coming. You want to clobber them all at one time. Be sensible on locations. As soon as they are gone ....Fix the entry holes to stop future problems.

As an ongoing fix, bungee a 4" piece of black plastic waste pipe to a tree or fence at an angle, smear a bit of peanut butter on the upper pipe mouth, and a dab about 18" down in the pipe. The bottom of the pipe sets in an old bucket of water. Dispose of the drowned tree rats and bait as needed.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT