RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: revolver lube

revolver lube

as inspired by "Strawhat" on another post here ... I proceeded to the range with 36 of my .375 round balls and GOEX 2F powder as well as my newly adopted MAGNUM caps from CCI.

as I loaded the first cylinder full on my Pietta 5 inch '61' Colt ... I wondered when the stopping place would be with no lube of any kind under, over or anywhere around the round balls. just seems too uncomplicated to me but I always listen to others smarter then me and having done the task longer then myself.

after shooting 12 ... I figured the next cylinder full would be it ... after shooting 24 I started to smile at myself and my ignorance in some areas yet. at the end ... having shot all 36 round balls over the 20 grain loads ... I wish I had brung long mo balls. I was so sure I would prove that I needed lube to continue shooting, that 36 balls is what I brought along.

upon getting home ... I figured that the cleaning would tell the storie. after spraying it down with my ballistol water mix ... I set there thinking bout stuff while I allowed the devils mix to soak the revolver.

after soaking for maybe 10 minutes ... couldn't stand it any longer so I began my cleaning procedure. installing the brass brush on my pistol rod ... I removed the nipples and set them soaking in some dish soap and water ... then I shoved the bristle brush thru the barrel 5 times and also brushed the cylinder chambers with it as well. following another copious spray with the ballistol ... I installed the 35 cal jag on the rod and got to work with clean patch's/ after the usual time I had clean patch's and set about cleaning those nipples. everything clean and the action sprayed down [inside and out] with rem oil till it drips I wiped it all down and put it away.

SOOO ... now I have a new way to shoot my BP C&B revolvers ... no lube of any kind and just keep smiling as there is no Crisco and anything dripping from my elbo any more when I am shooting my favorite fire arms.

THANX STRAWHAT FOR A TREMENDOUS HINT THAT HAS IMPROVED MY FAVORITE SPORT FOR ME.

Ted,
    Did you shoot the gun for groups? I have no doubt that the gun will fire and function for quite a few rounds but will ACCURACY hold up? Usually, buy about 10-15 rounds with no lubes of any kind fouling will start to build up in the barrel and accuracy will deteriorate. Those revolvers came on the heals of the single shot pistols of the day and having 6 times the firepower of before was a huge leap. The guns were expected to be shot dry and then cleaned and reloaded rather than subjecting them to sustained firing like I do in cowboy action matches. Back when they were used if you needed more than 6 shots to settle the argument you either pulled a fighting knife or a second (or third) revolver. If your gun continued to shoot nice, tight groups then i stand corrected but my experience has been that accuracy falls off without some kind of fouling softener or barrel swab.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

no I did not do an accuracy test other then the various chunks of clay birds and a couple white rocks at the 25 yard bank. seemd to hit them with surprising regularity tho.

next I will do the accuracy test just to see where the accuracy begins to break down ... but my what fun in shooting dry loads and dealing with no issues that I had expected.

another thing that I anticipated was having some leading in the barrel ... none showed up in the original 36 shots. going to try to get out today and further some tests ... altho I am still smiling at the novelty of this "no lube required" approach.

did go out and shoot the '61' again today [stormed outta the woods]. I ran outta powder this time before it gave any indication of jamming up from fouling. I blow gently into the barrel and cylinder each cylinder full so maybe this helps keep the fouling soft. I did not see any gross loss of accuracy doing such and around the 5th cylinderfull I tooth brushed off the cylinder face and the nipples ... other then that ... I just kept runnin it and hitting almost everything I set my sights on. had some issue with the caps tho ... my thumb got so sore putting them lil nipple huggers on that I may have to register for SS on account of I don't think I can shift my truck anymore

great time in the rain [under a covered bench tho] today and I always come home refreshed and eager to go next time. the smoke n flash is always a good way for me to unwind for several hours. I am very impressed with my Pietta 5 inch barreled 36 cal in the 1861 configuration. little pup has me spoiled for any others ... balance and pointability is all there and then some.

Seriously looking at a '61 as my next purchase, love the way they look and feel.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    I tried shooting my pistols without lubed wads and all seemed well also. My groups didn't seem to change much that I could tell, though I'm no pistolero by any means, and wasn't necessarily looking for accuracy but boom and smoke. 15 yds off hand get me ~3-3.5" groups or so with my .44/.45 with 30/35 grns of 3F Olde E or T7.

Blowing down the barrel sure will soften fouling . The long range BP boys use a blow tube to keep the fouling soft for long strings of shooting heavy charges. I think that's your secret to success Big Ted. IIRC softening the fouling may be the origin of the movie cliche` of blowing across the muzzle after firing the revolver. Not so much to blow the smoke out of the way or show off as to soften the fouling. High humidity also helps. Try shooting this summer on a hot & dry day without blowing down the muzzle to see what happens. I'll bet the bore will accumulate hard fouling.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    bigted,

That was the way I was taught by the now ODGs who learned it from the even older ODGs who shot the revolvers. It has worked for me and others. As for match grade accuracy, who knows? I won a few matches years ago but times change. I should too, but I don't!

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Bub
    Interesting. Years ago, I watched an old boy loading his cap&ball without lube. I said something to him and he replied that he didn't need any lube over the balls. I then witnessed a chain fire! No injury other than hurt pride. I don't know if his lead balls were undersized for the revolver or just what caused it. Jeff

Boolit Bub
    I've pretty much ditched lubes for revolvers as well. I honestly have seen no advantage to it shooting these smoke poles for more than 20 years. I see no more difficulty in clean up and haven't noticed any leading. I shoot .457's in my 44's, .38's in my 36's and .33's in my 31's. I don't play around with loose fit balls. That being said I normally don't shoot more than 50 rounds with any one revolver(got ten of them...they keep multiplying!). I shoot a 7x12 and 12x20 inch ipsc steel at 25 yards mostly....plenty accurate enough for that. I am going to test my revolving carbine at a hundred yards soon though and see what it can do with no lube.

Boolit Master
    I, also, quit using lubed wads with balls and didn't notice any issues.

I tried some some custom bullets dry and they keyholed at 15 yds, but did well when lubed.

Boolit Master
    I tried some some custom bullets dry and they keyholed at 15 yds, but did well when lubed.
    That is pretty interesting in itself. When you say they did well when lubed, do you mean lubed in the bullet groove(s) only, or did you have a wad underneith? I've heard of conicals doing better in a rifle with a wad, verses no wad, and I've experienced it myself, but keyholing verses doing well, based purely on lube, is an extreme difference which I think deserves further investigation.

Boolit Bub
    That is curious. If I recall, most repro cap and ball revolvers aren't rifled for conicals and typically don't shoot them as well as round balls. I think original colts had a progressive twist for conicals. Also, I believe the cylinders were actually tapered and not the same dimension all the way back to the breech area.

Rem Oil and BP fouling don't mix well. Wiping the bore with a patch between cylinders, my Remingtons will shoot under 1 inch groups at 25 feet. Leave 'em dirty or shoot without lube and they open up to just over 3 inches.
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Boolit Master
    Lubed in the groove.

As I hadn't noticed anything terrible when using balls dry I figured it wouldn't hurt to use these little bullets dry either. I was mistaken!

My 170 grn bullet is merely 0.400" long. I had read that Pietta used a slower RB twist of 1:30", but found mine (bought for Christmas 2013) had the newer 1:16" twist as my Ruger does, as well as gave it 6 lands/grooves. I figured a short bullet would do well in a slow twist, but also have found it does well in this faster twist, at least out to 15 yds where I typically shoot.

I have been punching cardboard cereal boxes for over powder cards, and considering buying thinner felt (1/16") from Durofelt to use as filler (dry). Maybe these would improve things.

Boolit Master
    My Remington and Ruger seem to shoot a .457" ball as well as they do my 170 and 195 grn bullets (195 is 0.460" long). But I've not used light loads with cereal grains as many competition shooters do, which may very well tell another story. I also shoot offhand and am not the most steady fellow.

Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    My Remington and Ruger seem to shoot a .457" ball as well as they do my 170 and 195 grn bullets (195 is 0.460" long). But I've not used light loads with cereal grains as many competition shooters do, which may very well tell another story. I also shoot offhand and am not the most steady fellow.

MMMMMM......I love the smell of cornbread in the morning. LOL
    Buzzards got to eat, same as the worms.