WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Front sight Insert

Boolit Bub

Front sight Insert

I have a Smith and Wesson model 29-3 with a 8 3/8 inch barrel. I will be having it shortened to 6". The gunsmith is very well known for his awesome work. He will be cutting it down, crowning it, machining off the original sight, and silver soldering onto the newly cut barrel, then re-bluing the entire barrel. The only part I have to do is replace the red plastic insert on the front sight, that will get damaged in the soldering process. I looked at youtube videos, and found front sight insert kits at Brownell's. I have also received advise from other gunsmiths that have used red knitting needles to tooth brushes, by heating them, inserting them in the opening, then trimming off excess. Looking to hear for ideas, opinions, advice, from anyone having to have replaced the front sight insert on their pistol. Thanks

Boolit Master

I have replaced inserts whe with bits of coloured plastic from doller store toys and stuff, to match the colour. Just like making an insert out of metal except you whittle it like wood. I suppose you could use any coloured epoxy, some thing that wont shink to much Got pics? May be able to help.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Banned
    Why not take that opportunity to install a Weigand front sight?
    http://www.jackweigand.com/interfs.html

The kit from Brownell's works well, but I don't care for the colors in the kit.
    Instead, I add a drop or two of Flo. Orange acrylic paint, much brighter!!

Boolit Grand Master

With the dies available for epoxies a matching color should be obtainable fairly easily or a color that suits your tastes. Once the front sight is installed and done. Place a couple thicknesses of masking tape on each side and with a razor blade or sharp exacto knife trim to front edge of blade. Mix epoxy and add die, with a tooth pick fill the area and allow to cure to semi solid and trim down close with exacto knife. A little finishing with a file and sand paper .

Boolit Master
    Is the sight on your 29-3 held in place with one or two pins. Google SDM as they make inserts for S&W revolvers that has an actual real gold bead. One of our members has one on his 624 6.5" barreled 44 special and swears by it. Something to think on. Frank

Boolit Bub
    Frank46

The sight is originally cast with the barrel, it appears to be one piece with the barrel. Only way to get it off would of been to machine it off. Thanks

Banned
    I understand what the OP's gunsmith is doing and that is impressive machine work. However, it is also expensive machine work that precludes an adjustable front sight.

If you're chopping 2 3/8" off of the barrel you can't be too concerned about keeping the gun original. There's nothing wrong with shortening that barrel (and I would likely cut it down to at least 5" if not 4" ). I don't see the disadvantage of installing an high quality and ultimately less expensive, adjustable front sight.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 02-09-2015 at 08:39 PM.