Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Just what we might ?? could possibly, need ??, well maybe it is --------

Boolit Master

Just what we might ?? could possibly, need ??, well maybe it is --------

Good read in the most recent copy of Handloader Magazine, is the article by John Haviland, titled "New Powders for the .30-30 Winchester." John also addresses some cast boolit loads for the 30-30, but the powder spoken of seem to be the most important part for me.

The article speaks in part about a new/old powder that is apparently a recent listing under the Accurate label. Originally used by the military some decades back, and sold under the Thunderbird name years back for use in the 6mm PPC.

LT - 32 has a burn rate between RL-7 and H4198, so it could possibly be the one that fine tunes the loads for your 45/70, or any number of other cast boolit cartridges.

The powder has been refined a bit with a "secondary coating for stability" and is being produced for Western Powders (Accurate & Ramshot) by General Dynamics in Canada.

My 1979 copyright issue of the Speer manual does not list the powder among their 59 or so listed "canister" powders, and the same is true in my recent copy of the Hornady manual with their listing of 146 canister powders.

So, be that as it may, if/when you happen to see LT-32 sitting on a shelf it might be worth a try.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    I saw that as well and it really got me thinking. I thought it was pretty much for the benchrest crowd when it came out. I load for Remington's rimless versions quite a bit, .25, .30, and .32 Rem. I noticed they also have a bunch of .223 data. I might pick some up if I see it just to try something different since I still have not found "The Load" in .25 and .30 Rem.

Boolit Master
    Should work for about anything the 4198 and RL-7 works for. At least from what I now see.

CDOC

Boolit Mold
    Is this powder similar to the original 8208, or am I thinking of something else?

Boolit Master
    Stewfish,

Can't say on that. I always figured that the 8208 was a slower powder because of the number, but can only go by the information I read in the Handloader.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stewfish View Post
    Is this powder similar to the original 8208, or am I thinking of something else?
    From what I understand, this is the new version of T32 that used to be a popular benchrest powder. New packaging, same equipment.

Boolit Master
    With it is said, an additional coating.

CDOC

I've tried T32 in an 18 in bbl'd 308. It seemed very similar to H322 though a bit faster burning. Very well behaved powder. Benchmark is very close to H322 to the extent that I can't see much of a difference in the 450 Marlin and 45-70. Doubt they are the same powder, but the difference I've seen is about what you'd expect from lot variance of the same powder. XBR 8208 is very close to H322, but just a shade slower burning. The later three all seem to give similar bbl harmonics in my 45-70's. I still have to get around to trying T32 in my levers. Should be very useful with 300-420 gr boolits.

Boolit Master

Thunderbird T32 IS simply repackaged IMR 8208, a non canister grade powder originally made for the military! What I don't understand is why IMR won't simply make a new batch of this powder. There were a couple of wealthy Benchrest shooters that approached IMR about making a run of it and furnishing the $$$ to do so and IMR said no! Maybe something to do with the original formula or military contract? About all the powder companies have made an attempt to make a powder close to 8208 and none have duplicated it exactly. Makes one wonder why doesn't it.

Boolit Master
    BABore, Good to see ya still on the forum.

I sure like your mold!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Mold
    I bought a few jugs of surplus 8208 a few years back from Hi-Tech. I don't want to use the rest up. Pretty decent powder.

Lt-32 and AR-Comp

http://blog.westernpowders.com/newest-reloading-data/
    New LT-32 load data link.

Just ordered an 8lb jug of Accurate Arms LT-32 along with a jug of Alliant AR-Comp. From Powder Valley. Will be trying out the LT-32 in my cast bullet 222 Rem rifle. Also have hopes it works to push 50 to 53 grain bullets in an AR-15 and 26“ M700. Else I’ll be a long time burning up eight pounds of it. My old SP-1 with lightweight 12” twist barrel. Always has shot best groups with 4198 under 53gr HP Match bullets. All slower powders I tried added a quarter to half inch on 100 yard groups. 4198 isn’t the fastest shooting powder in 223. So hopes are I can get best of both worlds, speed and accuracy, with LT-32. Easier metering is always a plus too.

AA data shows a cast bullet load in the 30-30 using LT-32. Which gives me some hope this stuff will burn decent at reduced pressure. Been shooting the 222 with 5744 at 14.0 grains under the Lyman 225646 weighing 60 grains. Runs above 2,400 fps. The fast 5744 seams to be a bit to fast at these power levels. Although it’s sub MOA. Thought about trying H-4198 but it meters rough at small charges.

AR-Comp I ordered is to replace my supply of H-4895 and Varget that seams to be unobtainium now days. It’s re formulated RL-15 with a burn rate of Varget and temp stabilizing coatings. This puts in in the range of H-4895. Up side is they list nice number for velocity in AR’s with J bullets. It may also be a good cast boolit powder in AR's since 4895 works well. Now the big question is. Will it run at reduced laod the way H-4895 does? Anyone try it yet?