MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a Blow tube

Boolit Mold

Using a Blow tube

Question is; can you blow too much moisture into the barrel?

Jim

i imagine you could. with my hawken i always run a wet patch town the barrel followed by a dry one. that canned air for dusting computers works well...

Boolit Master

Watch out for the Copenhagen and Skoal too when using a blow tube!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    No you can't put to much moisture in the barrel using a blowtube. Most folks are lucky if they get enough moisture in the barrel with a blowtube.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

In Remembrance

Forgive my igernance. What is a "blowtube"? If it is something to put the embers out, I have always just tried to blow the smoke out of the nipple with my mouth over the muzzle.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master

It is a tube you insert into the chamber of a black powder single shot like a Sharps or Remington rolling block, and then you blow moisture into the barrel to soften the fowling of BP.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

"Forgive my igernance. What is a "blowtube"? If it is something to put the embers out, I have always just tried to blow the smoke out of the nipple with my mouth over the muzzle. "

i wouldnt do that, lead poisoning. having it on your hands is one thing but to directly expose it to your lips is probably not a great idea...

Boolit Grand Master

I use a blow tube on most of my BPCR rifles. I have found wetting your mouth throat with a swallow of bottle water every few shots helps keep the moisture level up better. A deep breath and long slow exhale works for me. Also dont INHALE thru the tube.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by danthman114 View Post
    with my hawken i always run a wet patch town the barrel followed by a dry one. that canned air for dusting computers works well...
    Quote Originally Posted by aspangler View Post
    Forgive my igernance. What is a "blowtube"? If it is something to put the embers out, I have always just tried to blow the smoke out of the nipple with my mouth over the muzzle.
    You muzzleloader types will have to go get some trigger time with black powder cartridge guns if you don't want to be confused all of the time when browsing this section.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    I don't know about "too much." But inconsistant will be a problem, if you vary the amount of moisture, then you won't get good results.

Another thing that will contribute to varying moisture levels in the bore is if you failed to keep yourself hydrated. I suspect that Arizona would be a good place to de-hydrate yourself. When I was shooting in southern Queensland at a range called Captains Mountain, temperatures varied, and when it was hot and dry, you could de-hydrate as the day went on and you sat in the sun shooting. The amount of moisture that you got out of something like three good breaths at 9.00am when you started would be considerably more than at 3.00pm in the afternoon if you did not drink enough water during the day.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master
    A 32" barrel will test your lube and blow tube form on a hot dry day. One of the top shooters i shoot with came to the line with a mouth full of chicklets on a hot dry august day.

Boolit Buddy
    Tried blow tubing, and did not find it that effective. A single Ballistol/water patch thru the bore works well for me.

Boolit Buddy
    You can have 'water' left in the chamber if your BT does not go all the way to the front of the chamber.
    LG
    Hav'n you along-Is like lose'n 2 good men

When some one gets things figured out with a blowtube and the conditions permit it can work very well. I watched Chill Wills just about walk away with the whole enchilada at the BPTR nationals in 13 , shooting just a blowtube....

Vendor Sponsor

Using a blow tube is not that hard but like anything, there are many myths about their effective use. There are conditions they will not get the job done. Some of the factors include ambient temperature and humidity, the bullet lube you use. One large factor in the warm months that will change everything is the answer to this question. Is your rifle barrel in the sun or shade?

Generally, I have found that in the American south west or anywhere low average humidity is the rule the following applies; if you have a covered or shaded area to shoot from in the warm months up to about 85-F you can use the blowtube (BT).

Anytime you are shooting in the sun and your barrel becomes hotter that you can handle (carry the rifle with your hand on the barrel), you should be thinking “wiping” as your fouling control.
    No matter the shade or other conditions, when your barrel is converting the liquid condensation from your breath to the BP fouling and makes it soft, BT has a good chance of working well. When this condition is not met, that is, the barrel heat is vaporizing the H2O as fast as you can get it in, you are behind the curve and will be putting your carefully crafted bullets through a very rough barrel and accuracy suffers.

I prefer to blow tube whenever possible. It has its strong positive quality’s. When I anticipate conditions outside the BT’s range, the wiping rod comes out.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 02-05-2015 at 03:46 PM.
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

Hey Don, I think I was typing when you posted.

As you know but a lot of people don't, there are some pluses and minuses with both wiping and the BT however. .... The above was written with GG bullets in mind using the PP bullet v the GG bullet come into making your choice too.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 02-05-2015 at 02:33 PM.
    Chill Wills

Yessir greaser and patched are different worlds, altho I think I'm about zero'ld in a a combination with patched that can shoot with just blowtubing for midrange and the like if the heat and humidity stays within reason, but I need to do a bit more shooting under match conditions to with it to see if my theory will hold..
    One thing about wiping, it's a bugger to get things right as to what solution, routine etc, but once a person gets that all figured out it works anywhere anytime,,,, but then you have to spend a halfhour pickin up patches when the relay is over...

Banned

gg boolits and wiping for me - wiping is just easier for me to control under all conditions. too many variables using a bt.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Not to go sideways here but a comment in regards to a ML and blowing on the end of a barrel . . .

In regards to lead poisoning . . . if you don't want to do it, that's fine . . . but I've been shooting ML - both percussion and flint for 50 years and it's a common practice. A properly patched round ball, whether it is in a rifled or smoothbore barrel doesn't touch the bore - the patch rides it on the way out. Sure, I suppose you could have residue for some odd reason . . . but sorry, I just can't see it as an issue. I have cast and shot lead for the same amount of time and once I started reloading, I increases the output and handle many more lead slugs during the loading process, etc. - and my blood tests all come back just fine.

Whether you shoot BP or Smokeless - you're breathing in the results of combusted propellent. I'm surprised someone isn't concerned that a person might "suck back" on a blow tube and take in dangerous carcinogens . . . won't be long and I'm sure OSHA will put an end to it.

dantheman114 - I'm not "poking" at you so don't take it that way please. It's up to the individual to do what they feel is safe and if a person is that concerned about lead poisoning, then don't do it . . but I'd also be looking at not casting and not handling lead slugs either.

A while back, I was shooting with a bunch of guys (much younger than I) and after the shooting was done, someone got started on "lead" and the "lead poisoning" bit. Some were quite concerned about it but I noticed that after they had consumed a few beers, they all got in their vehicles and left to drive home. Guess it's all a a person's perspective . . .

So, TO GET BACK ON TRACK . . . for the BP single shot shooters . . . what determines if you should be using a blow tube besides fouling? I'm starting to shoot BP (357) out of a Handi-Rifle (not a Sharps but hey, it's still fun). I'm using the same BP lube I've used for the past 50 years and it seems to be doing the job on keeping the fouling soft - but I'm running a patch through from the breed every couple of shots - a wet followed by a dry. Is a blow tube going to eliminate the need to run a patch through or is it just an aid to soften the fouling prior to running a patch through?

Boolit Grand Master

Powder type, charge wieght, ambient conditions on a given day, and barrel length among other things all determine the use of blow tube over wiping. In dry hot conditions evaoration becomes a consideration also. Shooting fast with large charges creates much more fouling. As has been siad above hot sunny days raise temps of the barrel to start with from sun and ambient temps. A blow tube under these conditions may not be enough to keep ahead of fouling. What you need to do is experiment and see what works for you your rifle and a give days conditios.