Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: wierd markings on a used/abused Marlin rescue?

Boolit Bub

wierd markings on a used/abused Marlin rescue?

I recently picked up a '83 Marlin 1894 44 mag in poor condition for a great price due to condition.
    Someone had taken a belt sander to the stock at some point during a botched refinish attempt.
    Not only did they use a belt sander, they went across the grain and put deep uneven grooves in the wood.
    Most of the bluing was gone and the bolt had a Deep spot of rust about the size of a nickle, not to mention the other rust.
    After a couple of Saturdays I got the stock straightened out and restained but the forearm has some strange holes from what looks like was some sort of pressed in foregrip applique. There is even the remnants of what looks to be a brass nail still in the wood.
    Did Marlin have anything like this from the factory or was this someone's attempt at customization?
    This is a picture after the stock work and after I ground/polished the worst rust spot off of the bolt:

Not factory pinned - My WAG: Somebody pinned the magazine tube from moving forward under the stout recoil, most likely due to hefty handloads.

Boolit Grand Master
    Someone added brass tacks as a decoration. Possibly was used as a cowboy acrion gun?
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Someone added brass tacks as a decoration. Possibly was used as a cowboy acrion gun?
    EXACTLY what I was thinking. Plus they probably used black powder loads which could explain the rust.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    EXACTLY what I was thinking. Plus they probably used black powder loads which could explain the rust.

Gear
    I shoot black powder all the time and have NO rust.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    I shoot black powder all the time and have NO rust.
    YOU might clean your guns more thoroughly than this gun's previous owner.

Boolit Master
    Nice save, and nice to see I am not the only guy that takes firearms to the bathroom.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Nice save, and nice to see I am not the only guy that takes firearms to the bathroom.
    Nothing like taking a new gun to the bathroom for some alone time....like the kid from A Christmas Story with his new Little Orphan Annie decoder ring, for cryin' out loud!

Boolit Grand Master

Nice save, thanks for sharing.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Bub
    I've got a Marlin 94 in the bathroom right now too. Searching for humidity and a little rust action.

Boolit Grand Master

I think I have one that lives in there. Sort of like a teenager but different.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Bub
    reminds me of this for some reason:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	overreaction-34-so-i-was-in-the-shower-eating-a-cookie-when-i-heard-a-noise-34.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	129574