Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contender frustration.....

If a factory doesn't chamber then you have a leg to stand on as far as T/C replacing it. Just a suggestion
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master
    My point is this. The barrel is chambered for factory 30-30 ammo. If factory 30-30 ammo does not chamber, then it has a factory defect. 30 cal. Bullets made for bolt action rifles have a different ogive then 30-30 bullets. Same way as cast boolets. There may be other types of interference you are dealing with that do not seem obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Oh. Sorry. Yes factory loads seem to fit. But I don't buy factory stuff. Maybe running the loads through a Lee factory crimp die???
    could be a issue with you dies , or brass . Do you have good neck tension when seating the jacketed
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Neck tension is good. All loads for all lever guns are good. I'm afraid the barrel is the culprit.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    If factory loads do chamber, then there is nothing wrong with the barrel. Try to load some with NO crimp. A crimp is not needed in a Contender with bottleneck cases.

Boolit Master
    Is it possible, your bullets are hitting the rifling before the case is fully seated in the chamber?

Boolit Master
    If factory ammo chambers, there are issues with what or how your reloads are put together. Possibly when you crimp, you are creating a bulge in the case somewhere.

Boolit Buddy
    at one time I had over 100 barrels and the only one that gave me problems was a 6mm tcu. it had a tight neck and I had pressure problems with all my loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    Too much flare on the case mouth can hold 'em out, and a Lee Factory crimp die will resolve that. A chamber cast will give you the best info to move forward with. Recutting the chamber is easy and there are reamer rentals around. It's a pain to make up for a general lack of craftsmanship now-a-days, but not impossible.
    "Keep buggering on!" -- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Too much flare on the case mouth can hold 'em out, and a Lee Factory crimp die will resolve that. A chamber cast will give you the best info to move forward with. Recutting the chamber is easy and there are reamer rentals around. It's a pain to make up for a general lack of craftsmanship now-a-days, but not impossible.
    "Keep buggering on!" -- Winston Churchill
    Loading jacketed rounds. I'm not flaring the brass at all. A few thou off the necks and it chambers. Just kinda a PITA step to load plinking ammo.
    I'll be on the look out for a new barrel.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Just checked a factory round. Rem. load. Neck measures .327" and chambers fine. My hand loads are FC brass with Speer 130gr HP bullets loaded to 2.600". Neck with bullet seated measures .3295" and will not chamber.

Brass has been trimmed to 2.025" the full diameter of the bullet is in the neck.

Turn .004" off the neck, they chamber fine. All my brass is FC and WW

I have the one RP factory round. I'll just make do and turn necks.

I have a Lee 113 RNFP mold in the mail. Maybe I can get this guy to shoot.....

Boolit Master

It's worth it to have a gunsmith just run a proper reamer in it and get it right.

Boolit Master
    I just looked thru my speer manual. Are you sure your bullet is not bumping the rifling before the case is fully seated in the chamber? Speer makes a 130 gr. Specifically for the 30-30 and 2 others that are listed have a longer taper ogive. And did you measure the actual bullets diameter?

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Just checked a factory round. Rem. load. Neck measures .327" and chambers fine. My hand loads are FC brass with Speer 130gr HP bullets loaded to 2.600". Neck with bullet seated measures .3295" and will not chamber....
    Shoot the factory round and them reload it with a jacketed bullet to see if it will still chamber. If not, the problem is somewhere in your reloading process.

Measure the diameter of the jacketed bullets also. You may have something other than .308 bullets.

Boolit Master
    What dies are you using, some dies are off and may not be sizing cases to chamber's specs, I'd try some ones Redding dies and I'm sure all will fit, does the sized case fit without the bullet?

Boolit Master
    My contender barrels are a little on the long side, and must be loaded a LOT longer than I wish. One thought, are your bullets actually .308 or are they for a .303 which is .312? That's what I use in my Mosin, and they measure .3115.

Boolit Master
    First, I'd send that 10" barrel down the road.

You can advertise it as shooting factory rounds and that you are going a different direction.

The first reason is that 10" and the .30-30 don't go together well. The .30 Herret and 10" ... yes, but the .30-30 .... no.

Get a 14" or better a 16" and you can run it either as a handgun or rifle.

AIing a 10" .30-30 would make even less efficiency.

If you don't believe me read what the older load manuals say on the issue.

I have a 10" .30 Herret and a 14" .30-30 and they are both gems.

I have a 10" .222 Rem and it's a DOG! There are a notable exception or two .... the 7mm TCU is often good in 10" ........ it's even better longer but for those wanting the better balance of a short barrel ..... the 7mm TCU usually accomodates them. Hornets and .221 Fireballs are great in 10 and longer.

You can only go so short with a given case and then the party is over.

My .02 worth

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    A lot of good info above waco......seems to be hinting that your loads are suspect. As much as I hated to think my loads may be anything less than perfection, that has always been the case when I run into problems like you have. I seriously doubt the barrel is the issue. I have been shooting the T/C products for decades and have factory and custom barrels. All have been exceptional. While there is always a possibility of a lemon, odds are it's something to do with your load flow or detail.

T/C barrels are not sloppy like some semi-auto chambers. Slight bulges, imperceptable to the eye, will shut you down and cause you no end of grief. Loading technique must be perfected and tailored for these barrels which typically run tight. I suspect, mind you I say suspect, that there is some little detail causing you this angst which when discovered, will cause you to blush. As they say, the devil is in the detail.

Is it possible to find a friend or gun shop with another 30-30 barrel and see if your load will chamber in it?

this ...

"All loads for all lever guns are good."

if my comprehension skills are awake this morning .... leads me to think that you have other ammo loaded for lever guns that fit in this barrel - is that correct ? ermm not counting that one factory round , if so i'm with the majority of posters ..something else besides the barrel is amiss
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Thanks for all the input guys. I have loaded and fired this load before. I guess I should have mentioned that. Everything was fine then. Win. And rem. Brass all fit good. This time I'm using FC brass. Measuring the loaded rounds across the neck with a mic the FC loads run about .003" larger than the other brass. I don't really want to shoot jacketed bullets though. I tried loading a 311041 in WW brass seated to the crimp groove. No go. In order to chamber the round I had to seat the boolits gas check WAY below the neck. Boolit was sized to .310"
    Again, thanks for your input. I'll probably just send the barrel down the road and find something else to fool around with.