WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modifying a Lee to Cast a WFN

Boolit Master

Modifying a Lee to Cast a WFN

Where else can you have this much fun for $20?

Step one: Cut a channel in the bottom of your mold. I started with a router table and carbide straight flush cut bit and finished with a 1/4" solid carbide two-flute spiral up-cut bit in a laminate router. Take light cuts. Getting greedy will cost you.

Step two: Make some flat bars. Drill and tap mold. I used 8-32 screws. I sanded them flat using a sheet of sandpaper on a piece of glass. Put a slight taper on the edges so that they meet on the bottom. This makes it easy to get a tight fit. Make the hole for the screw big enough for some adjustment. I haven't yet, but I'm planning on closing the mold on a feeler gauge and then bringing the bars together. That should let me expand the mold without any tape, and I can vary the feeler gauge thickness if I want a slightly different size.

Step three: Cast. I now have a .250 WFN on a Lee c309-170. It remains to be seen how they will shoot, but they are dimensionally even. They are now 163 grains. I'm sure the nose will get beat up some upon feeding and chambering.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow. Whatever it hits will stay hit.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Nice work.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy

Ahhhh.........good old American ingenuity there! Great idea.

Boolit Buddy
    Brilliant!

Pat

Boolit Master
    Thanks, guys. Hopefully my rifle likes it.

Banned

Have you shot any of these yet?

The thought occurs to me tha this might be a good mod to that Lee super heavy designed for the fast twist in the .300 Blackout. Taking a little off the nose of that one might make it stabilize in standard 1 in 10" twist .30 calibers.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok - what am I missing? You screwed some plates to the bottom of the mold and that made the cavities into a WFN style? I don't get it.....?

Boolit Buddy
    Ok. I figured it out. You cut the cavities short and the steel forms the new boundary at the meplat of the cavities. I'm a little slow sometimes.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Congratulations for coming up with a cheap, fairly simple way to create what Lee should have in various calibers a long time ago,,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Have you shot any of these yet?
    I just finished this one tonight after it was too dark to shoot. I did load a dummy round and the shortened nose lets me seat the bullet out far enough so that the front driving band starts to engage in the rifling. I did this mod to a Lee 312-155gr and my Mosin shoots it very well.

Deep Six - Yes, that's what I did. You can vary the nose diameter by how deeply you cut the mold.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ia.redneck View Post
    Ahhhh.........good old American ingenuity there! Great idea.

yup, good job there and let us know how this shoots !!

Boolit Master

this thread is a perfect example of why i love this forum and it's members

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
    Ok. I figured it out. You cut the cavities short and the steel forms the new boundary at the meplat of the cavities. I'm a little slow sometimes.
    I'm glad someone else posted this, I was lost trying to figure out how that worked. Between the algebra, anatomy, and my 10 page english paper I was lost. Think my homework has turned the brain to mush instead of improving it! At least tonight!
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Here's a shot from inside the mold with an original bullet for comparison.

Banned

Now it makes sense to me. I am slow on the uptake. If it stabilizes, it will be a hammer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    If it stabilizes, it will be a hammer.
    I think it will. I shot these four this morning. 1.75" @ 55 yds, 1950 fps, Winchester 94, 25 degrees with snow flurries blowing sideways, shooting quickly.
    Third shot is the one on the right, fourth is the one on the bottom. I know one example doesn't mean much, but I haven't spent much time with the original bullet, but this is about what it was doing. I need to open the mold some to match my bore.

Boolit Buddy

Looks promising.

Boolit Bub
    Not exactly the same, but I just modified a Lee 314-90 pistol bullet into a wider meplat SWC with more weight. Your approach looks great if you want to keep the weight down, where I wanted to add more. Love to see all the ideas for tinkering with these inexpensive (but not 'cheap' in my limited experience) molds. I won't repost the pics, but if you want to see the other approach I tried, just search 'First mold mods' on this page.

Patrick

Veral Smith of LBT did an article in the cast bullet association Fouling Shot about making LFN's from lee molds the same way about 30 years ago.that was before he was making molds and how his LFN came about i beieve.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries