RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners

Thread: Remington Model 8, 35 rem, need cast load help!

Boolit Mold

Remington Model 8, 35 rem, need cast load help!

I just picked up a model 8. It's shooting under 1" @ 50yds with Sierra's 200gr RN on initial load workup of 35 to 37gr of IMR3031. I still have more tweaking to do on that, but the hard to come by jacketed bullets got me thinking about trying some cast.

I have a #358429 180gr Keith mold, and a Lee 358-158-RF, both plain base, & lubrisized to .359 with a version of Darr lube. Making a few dummy rounds with each, they both seem to feed fine from the mag (the rifling imprints slightly on the 358429, but that may/may not be a bad thing, dunno yet).

If i can get either of these to run in the model 8, I'd be really happy having a source of boolits for range practice this summer.

Has anyone tried this combo yet &/or can give me some start loads that will also reliably operate the action? For powders, I have on hand IMR & H4198, IMR3031, IMR 4759, & AA5744 that may be applicable.

I did some searching, but most of what I found was geared to the Marlin lever gun. I've read the RCBS 200gr mold is ideal, but I'd like to work with what I have for now.

Thanks in advance!

Boolit Master
    I don't think you will get the action to cycle at plain base speeds with light bullets. It takes a bit of recoil, and your best bet would be to start with the 358429. I shoot slow plain base in my 8s and 81s and just cycle the action by hand. The spring makes it kind of recoilless and fun. I have also loaded the gas checked 358156 fast enough to cycle the action, and have a new 180 gr gc mold to try out when I have time. You might try ordering some .38 plain base gas checks and see if the will help you get there with your molds.

Boolit Master
    I've loaded my M8 using the RCBS 200 and j word loads of 3031. It shoots about 2" at 100yds and I can't remember if it was chrono checked at 2200fps or If I was just guessing. I don't even bother with J words in it as it works very well with cast.

Boolit Grand Master
    At levels that will cycle the action the accuracy with plain base bullets will be poor. Find a gas check design to accomplish your goals as what you have will not work.

Boolit Mold
    I use 190 gr lyman with 20 gr 4227. Nice group but I can't find my Chrono data. I will try some this week and let you know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I've loaded my M8 using the RCBS 200 and j word loads of 3031. It shoots about 2" at 100yds and I can't remember if it was chrono checked at 2200fps or If I was just guessing. I don't even bother with J words in it as it works very well with cast.
    There you go. The .35 Rem is awesome and will not benefit with jacketed over cast. Like the 30-30, jacketed is a waste and is pointless. Look up Ranch Dog's .35 Rem loads and his article, "The 100 Year Hunter". I shoot a Marlin so can't help you specifically with your 8 but the Marlin 336 will shoot anything.

I bet plain base will work if you paper patch. You won't bother with jacketed bullets once you start with PP cast bullets.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.